Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

2012 Shamrock 21ss

I will never buy another Forest River product again. We bought a 2012 Shamrock 21SS, Hybrid, brand new. Let's see, none of the drawers will stay shut. The slide out fender skirt cracked on a pressure point around a screw due to buffeting by the wind at highway speeds. Forest River would not do anything, I had to make and install additional support brackets, it's still cracked though. Seals on some of the windows are now drying out and cracking. The handles that you snap in to hold the pop outs shut, all four of them, well, all the screws have come loose, one of the handles was hanging by one screw before I noticed. So, now I have to monitor the screws everytime I go out. Cushions will not stay on the seats, not enough velcro I suppose. If the trailer is perfectly level, the holding tanks will not drain, I have to put one side up on levelers to get them fully drain. Oh...and the vinyl covering on the pop out separated from the trailer. Just one more thing, this happened in the middle of a road trip. Had to use clamps to hold it on till I could get it fixed.Anyway. I am so disappointed with this unit and in Forest River, supposedly one of the biggest manufacturers, who simply refuse to do anything.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Not all who wanderarelost

sorry about your experience

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are dissapointed. I have a 2007 Shamrock 21SS and absolutely love it. Some of your problems seem minor and could be easily fixed over a weekend. Campers in my opinion are a bit on the cheap side as far as construction goes. (I have 15 years and counting full time experience in home building, 8 years cabinet making experience) I'm new to the camping world, but upgrading my camper every time I think of a way to improve it. Self locking drawer slides and door latches work wonders. I've installed two door latches per drawer to make sure they stay shut going down the road. Non slip rug runner material helps to keep cushions in place. Epoxy the holes around the loose screws and installing a slightly larger screw in the hold should fix the latches that hold the access doors open.
Aside from my upgrades, i've tent camped and backpacked my entire life so these campers even aside from their cheap construction is luxury camping in my opinion. Few problems on the road are bound to happen, after all it is camping. Ultimately water will find its way in eventually.

However, spending thousands on a new unit, I can understand your frustration. I will always buy used campers, as I can't justify spending what they get for new ones, I'd rather spend my time finding a good used one and then spending some extra money on upgrades, ie better bedding, tires, etc.
3P ProPride Hitch
Old Town 15' Discovery Canoe
Yamaha 4Hp Outboard Motor
MotorCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I was going to do the latches and extra velcro for the cushions. Thanks for the advice on the screws, I will try that next year for sure.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

I bought a used 2009 Shamrock 21ss. I love the layout, and it seams to be better built than my last Popup which was a Starcraft (supposed to be one of the better built ones... not).

Buying used, you don't know if things were just not taken care of by the PO, or if it's the MFG who never finished the job the right way. All campers that bounce down the road at Hi-way speeds for hours on end, then get setup on levelers or stabilizers for a weekend or more need a LOT of extra attention.

Then many of us let them sit outside all winter in the freezing cold hoping and praying that we winterized it right, hoping that no rodents make it home for the winter, and hoping that the heavy snow & ice don't collapse the roof or find a way in around the vents, skylights and other area's that are hard to seal.

All in all, if it moves, it will need maintenance. However, if you bought it new, it should be good to go for at least the first several camping trips
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, shamrock