Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

2015 Wildwood X-lite terrible build quality- Buyer beware!!

I bought a 2015 281qbxl late last year as a left-over and thought that I got a pretty good deal. After using it a few times this year, I have realized that the build quality on my new (still under warranty) camper is terrible. There was apparently no pride in workmanship when mine rolled off the factory floor, and this is only what I've noticed after six months of usage. I can only hope it doesn't get worse as time goes on, but I'm not holding my breath.

First off, I have never, ever, ever bought anything brand new that had a primary building component be duct tape. Perhaps after many years of wear, I can see that MAYBE some fly-by-night engineering will require the use, but here are two examples that I have found so far on my brand new unit.

This is the controller that is the brains of the slide. I don't know why, but there is duct tape holding it or something up. Also, notice the hodge-podge wiring and how it was just thrown in.

Here is where the wiring goes through the floor for the front stabilizer switch. More duct tape.

While I was taking pictures, I found this plastic jar under the slide. Someone at the factory left it as kind of a crappy Easter egg.

By trade, I am a data tech, so I run low voltage wiring on a daily basis. I always make sure my work is neat, just as if I was going to be running it at my house. Here are more examples of how this unit just totally frustrates me.

Wiring going under one of the bunk beds to the fuse block. It looks like a rat has made a home under here, but no, this pile of spaghetti is fresh from the factory.

Same compartment, opposite end.

The fit and finish of the shell is also already failing. The door to the bathroom doesn't close anymore, I had to remove the striker plate to keep it shut.

It also looks like they use butter knives at the factory as metal cutting tools. I took one of the stabilizer switches out, and you can clearly see where they only had a dull butter knife to make this hole. The wiring to the switch was also skinned up, another factory option that I didn't even pay for. You can see on the blue wire where I put some e-tape to cover the copper from protruding.

If there is such a thing as a quality manufacturer, I would love to find one. I can only imagine that this sort of thing is par for the course at Forest River, and if anyone ever asks for a recommendation, I will be sure to tell everyone to steer clear of all of the brands.
sting88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

Here is the build date too, in case you were wondering how old my unit is.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

2015 Wildwood X-lite terrible build quality- Buyer beware!!

I guess you have never looked at other brands. If you find one that is built different please let us know. Not saying this is right, it's just how they are ALL built. And I know because I just bought a SOB ( some other brand)

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

I can Only add "If your unit has a Covered Belly,DON"T drop it " you will have a Real Stroke! Hey we are all in the same Boat! Youroo!! This is a Pic of a Sunseeker MH water filter access door opening,do you feal any better about your "Cut out"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4495.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	113572  
Old 07-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

No, it doesn't make me feel any better, lol. Here are some others I found when I was cleaning the roof of the slide. It looks like they only put in screws where they felt like, there is no rhyme or reason where they put them.

Looking toward the back:

Front view:

Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Also, there is no low-point drain? It's one of those things that I just thought would be there since it has been on all of my older units. I can't believe I'm paying so much for something so terrible.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting88 View Post
No, it doesn't make me feel any better, lol. Here are some others I found when I was cleaning the roof of the slide. It looks like they only put in screws where they felt like, there is no rhyme or reason where they put them.

Looking toward the back:

Front view:

Sting,I noticed from your Slide Pic. there is NO Eternabond Tape on the top flange of your Slide! On ALL units we have had there is Eternabond over the Flange and Screws that extends to the slide covering as well ! This is a REAL Water entrance area even with Toppers installed! Either "Them or You" need to address this area QUICK! Youroo!!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

I would be covering them screw heads a leak for sure will happen then the dreaded delamination when the water gets in...Cover any exposed screw head to weather, even if you just use sealant or something... PS: I would also send them pictures to the factory warranty section of Rockwood/ flagstaff, I'm pretty sure that is off there line to protect yourself, and people wonder why they are having so many problems with those schwintek motors and controllers. It's enough to piss the POPE off.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

When we bought our 2017 292BHDS and I was doing my PDI I was pleased with the quality from afar not looking deep into details but quickly realized with a flashlight and looking in, under, around and over that the overall build quality was minimal. They made cuts that had such jagged and crooked edges, loose screws, slapped on lapping, wiring a mess, pretty much what you described above.

Am I happy with the TT so far? Yes. Happy with quality? Well it's relative since I understood going in T'sT today are made en mass cookie cuter style and as fast as possible thus reducing internal behind scenes quality

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

You are not alone, I though my rig was nicely finished until I looked behind some things like the microwave and the converter what a surprise, with that said a little time and work I have managed to correct most of the poor manufacturing. You can do the same.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Retired Retail/Importer

Second day of our new 360PDEK the A/C went out...due to water condensation coming through the running ceiling fan...yes, it was running and spewing a constant stream of water ...turned off the fan...got up on the roof and discovered the thermostat wiring connector was immersed in water and totally shorted out...e-mailed FR and they told me the problem was known and that the A/C return was too small...I drilled holes to make more drainage, repaired the wiring, duct taped the connector up away from future water, and cut out two more returns between the original ones in the ceiling...FR sent me two matching vents to finish it properly. I still have a little water coming through the fan for some reason..getting back on the roof today to silicon caulk any potential leaks...(I took the fan completely down and found now evidence that the fan had a leak from the roof...BUT...I've loved the 5TH Wheel as we now live on it for the next ~1-2 years
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
PS: I would also send them pictures to the factory warranty section of Rockwood/ flagstaff, I'm pretty sure that is off there line to protect yourself, and people wonder why they are having so many problems with those schwintek motors and controllers. It's enough to piss the POPE off.

I don't think Rockwood/Flagstaff is going to care too much about pictures of defects on a Wildwood.

Most of the issues with Schwintek is caused by either gross misalignment when installed at the factory, or using the Schwintek system on large slides.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

To illustrate the quality of TT/MH there is usually one thread per week asking "what tools do you carry with you" And that is to fix the things we can fix as we find them. Other than the missing screws( which you can fix yourself) the other things can be cleaned up. You are correct it looks bad.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I too am an ex-data tech used to take great pride in the tuck and tie back when we built out thousands of data center patch panels. So when I got my current and last trailers, I spent a few very pleasant afternoons in the woods, pulling access panels and such to enable me to tie-wrap and tuck and tie the way I like it.

During the process, I discovered an occasional loose connector or a few times it was a wire that was rubbing somewhere that was certain to cause a future failure. My exploring behind the walls enabled me to document a few of the hidden fuses. Lastly, everyone should check their water pump. They are almost never base padded or secured leading to in best case extra noise and in the worse case a failed pump.

I guess my suggestion is view it all as part of the adventure and have fun with the DIY. Now its all great.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #15

In Most of the issues with Schwintek is caused by either gross misalignment when installed at the factory, or using the Schwintek system on large slides. I have to disagree, you must be joking with this statement: When you duct tape something to the wall and leave a nest of wires that will just be a problem waiting to happen that FR will say was your fault. As long as people do not show and prove the quality of installations we will never get a good TT. I would take it in and have them install the system correctly. IMO duct tape is not a solution to quality workmanship. Let them see what they are putting out. You can accept anything that you want, but don't complain when something happens. Send it to Pete L. himself maybe they will start looking at there quality control.... PS: what is the difference between Wildwood and Wildcat for QC? QC is QC no matter what line of TT that FR puts out.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
In Most of the issues with Schwintek is caused by either gross misalignment when installed at the factory, or using the Schwintek system on large slides. I have to disagree, you must be joking with this statement: When you duct tape something to the wall and leave a nest of wires that will just be a problem waiting to happen that FR will say was your fault. As long as people do not show and prove the quality of installations we will never get a good TT. I would take it in and have them install the system correctly. IMO duct tape is not a solution to quality workmanship. Let them see what they are putting out. You can accept anything that you want, but don't complain when something happens. Send it to Pete L. himself maybe they will start looking at there quality control....
Notice I said "most".

This thread is the first I have seen the duct tape method of controller installation and did not mean to indicate its acceptable.

Why waste your time sending anything to Pete L. You might just as well send it to Warren Buffet Pete L knows more than anyone the level of quality, or lack of it, that comes out of every factory door. If you do not think he does your in fantasy-land. Its part of the business model. He could care less about what problems you discovered you were handed after the money changed hands.

Quote:
PS: what is the difference between Wildwood and Wildcat for QC? QC is QC no matter what line of TT that FR puts out.
QC is QC but most of these brands operate as separate operations, have facilities in different locations, and are completely different personnel. If you own a Wildcat your not going to get much help from Wildwood with anything.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Notice I said "most".

This thread is the first I have seen the duct tape method of controller installation and did not mean to indicate its acceptable.

Why waste your time sending anything to Pete L. You might just as well send it to Warren Buffet Pete L knows more than anyone the level of quality, or lack of it, that comes out of every factory door. If you do not think he does your in fantasy-land. Its part of the business model. He could care less about what problems you discovered you were handed after the money changed hands.

QC is QC but most of these brands operate as separate operations, have facilities in different locations, and are completely different personnel. If you own a Wildcat your not going to get much help from Wildwood with anything.
Mr Havercamp that is not what I said, Qc is QC no matter what Model you buy. You have a GREAT DAY NOW....

Old 07-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #18

Sting88. I found the low point drain when I winterized last year, but in my first trip this year I had cause to put some water in my fresh tank. The campground was doing some work on the water system and it was shut off until about 8am the next morning. I filled the tank with enough for the night and found that the drain valve was open. I tried my best to get it closed. The access was between the wheels and behind some frame or suspension parts. It seemed frozen and the only way I could get to it was to lay down in the mud and maybe ? get enough leverage to get it closed. I opted to fill a large water bottle to flush the toilet until the water was turned on.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #19

Nothing new here, I've owned many RVs and found none that were of high quality . It's the nature of the beast I guess. Some are worse the others. I've had my newest one for two years and under the hood it's the pits. Still working on stuff the dealer won't fix. Seems every day I find something.
Good luck!
Utah Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #20

Delco me to raving that's the way it is. I had a mini lite sold it bought Heatland Northtrail twice the quality.
weatherl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, wildwood