Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

amazon.com - defective product replacement

We're Canadians but we do a fair bit of our camping in upstate NY. As a result we have shelf space at My US Address. Even with the exchange rate, RV products and shipping are almost always cheaper. Especially shipping, and especially shipping from the US via UPS. Grr!

Just so with the Supco 43054 Electronic Digital Wall Thermostat, an almost-exact copy of the now-hard-to-find Hunter 42999B we installed in our last travel trailer.

It shipped on June 6th and the return window closed on July 6th. We picked it up just last weekend (September 3rd) and didn't notice until we got home and opened the box (September 7th) that the three position Heat - Off - Cool switch was not sliding properly into position.

I figured that with the return period long over we were stuck with it, my my wife suggested I contact Amazon. It wasn't especially intuitive to find out how to open an online chat on the subject but I did, and I discovered that Amazon was happy to replace the product under warranty. Not only that, but there would be no shipping cost to me from the US or from me back to the US (for the defective unit). I received notice today that the replacement has shipped and should be here by Monday (September 12th) - most welcome as mod season is in full swing! I will send the defective unit back today.

I know there is a tendency to believe that large corporations are lacking in customer service, but Amazon has certainly done right by me in this case.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
We're Canadians but we do a fair bit of our camping in upstate NY. As a result we have shelf space at My US Address. Even with the exchange rate, RV products and shipping are almost always cheaper. Especially shipping, and especially shipping from the US via UPS. Grr!

Just so with the Supco 43054 Electronic Digital Wall Thermostat, an almost-exact copy of the now-hard-to-find Hunter 42999B we installed in our last travel trailer.

It shipped on June 6th and the return window closed on July 6th. We picked it up just last weekend (September 3rd) and didn't notice until we got home and opened the box (September 7th) that the three position Heat - Off - Cool switch was not sliding properly into position.

I figured that with the return period long over we were stuck with it, my my wife suggested I contact Amazon. It wasn't especially intuitive to find out how to open an online chat on the subject but I did, and I discovered that Amazon was happy to replace the product under warranty. Not only that, but there would be no shipping cost to me from the US or from me back to the US (for the defective unit). I received notice today that the replacement has shipped and should be here by Monday (September 12th) - most welcome as mod season is in full swing! I will send the defective unit back today.

I know there is a tendency to believe that large corporations are lacking in customer service, but Amazon has certainly done right by me in this case.
Amazon has always been good to me. I have a Prime membership and buy a lot through them and hardly have an issue, but when I do they take care of it pronto. One thing I try to always do is buy products that allow me Prime benefits, such as free shipping (although you still have to check whether or not the product is eligible for free returns). Glad to hear they took care of you
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

I also am a Prime member and Amazon has never failed to step up when needed and take care of any problems I have had. They stole me away from a couple of big box retailers because of the convenience of no hassle returns and no questions asked warranty issues on their products. I expect that kind of treatment from Amazon and was glad to hear they took good care of you. I do not work for them nor endorse them or their products. However, I have had much better treatment and appreciation for the money that I spend with them than ever before from any other retailer and will continue to use them as long as that continues. One happy camper!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

I should append that they sent the replacement thermostat to - you guessed - My US address. Now we have to pay to get it forwarded here.

Ah, the perils of buying from the US...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement