Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Automated Safety Hitch System Review

Here is the link to my review. I welcome comments or questions on this product.
(And, no, I do not work for product maker.)

The Potential of Integrated Trailer Safety
With the Automated Safety Hitch System

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel,
B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags,
K&N cold air intake with AEM dry filter
SOB: 09 Cyclone 4012 (GVWR: 20,400#) with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, My toy in the garage was a 2008 smart fortwo (1.8K#).
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGray View Post
Here is the link to my review. I welcome comments or questions on this product.
(And, no, I do not work for product maker.)

The Potential of Integrated Trailer Safety
With the Automated Safety Hitch System
Comment - looks like a novel idea, but I would be hesitant about merely accepting his statements about it not adding to the overall length limitations.
I know he provides some reference data, but I wonder about what that State Trooper might think after pulling you over.

Question - what or how does it effect backing up a TT or FW?

Question - would the complete unit fit onto a CAT scale for the purpose of getting individual axle weights?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Comment - looks like a novel idea, but I would be hesitant about merely accepting his statements about it not adding to the overall length limitations. I know he provides some reference data, but I wonder about what that State Trooper might think after pulling you over.
You're not the only one with this concern. The truth is, not one owner has ever been ticketed for using the ASHS. Only a few have ever been questioned by state police and when shown the certified document, the hitch owner was sent on their way. BTW: None of the owners were pulled over because of the hitch and overall length, it was another minor issue. And every DOT and police official to date that has looked at it, according to Joe, has been impressed with the safety features of the hitch. As for me, I'm not concerned one iota. Personally, I don't think anyone should be. But that is just my opinion based on current knowledge and it is subject to change if presented with compelling evidence/proof.

Quote:
Question - what or how does it effect backing up a TT or FW?
Although the ASHS can be adapted with a ball for conventional towing, that is rarely done. It's primarily for 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers. Since the unit literately becomes an extension of the tow vehicle's frame, one would simply back the trailer like a conventional trailer.

Quote:
Question - would the complete unit fit onto a CAT scale for the purpose of getting individual axle weights?
I was wondering when this question would pop up. I've been thinking about that. My thought presently is since the ASHS becomes part of the tow vehicle, then weigh on CAT Scale like this:

Tow vehicle front axle on platform 1.
Tow vehicle rear axle and ASHS axle on platform 2.
All trailer axles on platform 3.

Reweigh again without the trailer attached to the ASHS.

Unless someone really overloads the available carrying capacity of the tow vehicle, it's unlikely the GAWR and GVWR will be exceeded when using the ASHS. In all cases, the driver needs to ensure the factory recommended towing capacity plus 50% is not exceeded when towing with the ASHS.

Now, the question to be answered is "How do I figure out the vehicle towing capacity with the ASHS?" Here is my current recommendation:

First, weigh the tow vehicle with the ASHS. If you don’t have the ASHS, weigh the tow vehicle and add 1,600 pounds. (Weight of the ASHS)

Second, subtract the tow vehicle/ASHS weight from the GCWR and this gives you the base towing capacity (BTC).

Third, add 50% to the BTC and that becomes the gross towing capacity when using the ASHS. (GTC-ASHS)

Therefore, I strongly discourage anyone from exceeding the GTC-ASHS.

I’m going run this by Joe and get his feedback.

SOB: 09 Cyclone 4012 (GVWR: 20,400#) with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, My toy in the garage was a 2008 smart fortwo (1.8K#).
Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Wow, this does not add up to me. I have a TV limit of 9700 pounds, I do as you say with the ASHS and load up to let's say 14,000 (not quite 50% added) now I go climb a steep grade mountain this has my 9700 pound limited Tundra power train subjected to 14,000. Regardless of how much weight the ASHS takes off the TV axles etc the TV is still hauling 1.5 times more weight up that moutain than it is rated for. I can agree with what you are saying on flat ground due to the pin weight being on the ASHS but not when your going up a steep mountain grade.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Ok, so I didn't actually follow your guide. Let's do it again.

TV = 6100 pounds + ASHS 1600 = 7700 pounds.
GCWR = 16,000 pounds - 7700 pounds = 8300
8300 X 1.5 = 12,450 pounds
12,450 + 7,700 = 20,150 pounds new GCWR

20,150 pounds new GCWR - 16,000 TV rated GCWR = ~4,150 over weight when climbing a mountan.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
B47

Dave - I appreciate you answering my comment and questions. I would certainly look into one of these if I ever felt the need.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post

20,150 pounds new GCWR - 16,000 TV rated GCWR = ~4,150 over weight when climbing a mountan.
Nope. You're tow vehicle will still tow the trailer over the mountain at the new adjusted rating. The primary limiting factor for GCWR is the springs and/or brakes. Read A Lesson on Gross Combined Weight Rating

Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

I fully understand what GCWR is, but no matter how you dice it you are still asking your drive train to pull all of the weight (20,150) up the mountain even though supported weight sitting on each axle and spring on level ground is within rated limits of the TV. Brakes is another matter you are subjecting the brakes to 20,150 pounds where you were below 16,000 previously.

Instead of using GCWR (vehicle ratings), let's call it total weight of unit. The total weight of the unit (TV, TT) was being kept under 16,000 and now you add the ASHS and go to a larger TT because the ratings say you can and now you are at 20,150 you are in fact towing 20,150 pounds no matter how you cut it.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

First thing that stands out after skiming the site is the statement that it adds 50% more towing capacity to any vehicle mainly because of the brakes. Seems like a very problamatic statement to make from a legal standpoint.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
Closed Thread

Tags
hitch, safety