Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Coleman Propane Grill

This review is of the Coleman Propane Grill that Forest River has decided to include with new RV's, like my Geo Pro. It is not the Road Trip, or other models that some people actually enjoy. I am a veteran griller/smoker. I own about a dozen grills of various sizes and fuel sources. This is the worst grill I've ever owned. The biggest problem is heat control. Low heat is barely different than high heat. Hamburgers will burn on the outside before cooking through on inside. I could only keep them on for 7 minutes total, both sides, before they began charring too badly. Second, there is no lid to close. This type of grill is only useful for things you can grill with direct heat, like a steak, or a burger, and it doesn't even do that well. I bought a new RV, and this is the sad excuse for a grill they are including with it. Definitely NOT the quality I expect from Coleman. William Coleman is turning over in his grave.

To make matters worse, you can't even hook it up to the low pressure quick disconnect. Luckily, I bought another portable gas grill that is marketed under several different brands, mine is the Pit Boss. But I still wanted to give the Coleman a try. Wasted weight in an RV. Forest River, what were you thinking?
Attached Images

NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #2

Glad I saw this!
I am looking for a good portable to carry in my trailer and replace the grill supplied by the dealer. I want one that will get hot enough to sear a steak without it getting “slimy” (as my wife would say), easy to control down to lower temperatures and a nice heat distribution.
Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I got one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-2-Burner-Portable-Gas-Grill-Stainless-Steel/54890132?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid= 22222222227056067676&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=15923687 7521&wl4=aud-430887228898la-268853933516&wl5=9003710&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=54890132&veh=sem&gclid =EAIaIQobChMIk5yClar_5gIVFG6GCh1mOQlnEAQYAiABEgKte PD_BwE If you look for a sale, I got mine for 80 something bucks from Home Depot. Goes by many different names, from Cuisinart, to Pit Boss, to others. Important thing is the 20lb cylinder connection. Many more BTU's for searing steaks, and I've shut down one burner and did ribs indirectly. If you turn one burner down below low, as if you were turning it off, you can get temp down to 275ish, perfect for slow cooking. Gotta play with know to get it that low. This one will DEFINITELY sear a steak nicely.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:23 PM   #4

Totally agree, what is Forest River thinking of. If they are going to supply you a grill it should be low pressure so you don’t have to carry around more fuel.I emailed them and they said that wanted to provide something that one could use in more than one place.. Stupid answer when I hear that the new units they are putting out now have a suburban low pressure griddle. They also said that they put the quick connection on these units just to pressure test the system. I like my Geo Pro but think that Forest River really screwed up on this one. This is my option anyway.
Jturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #5

Mine came with the griddle. All it’s been is extra tongue weight in the storage.
I did season it several rounds with coatings of lard in the BBQ.
Will try a fish fry one day.
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Neither DW nor I wanted to grill/cook against the side of our A-frame. The solution that finally made us happy was the Weber Q1200, thanks to the endorsements of campers on this site. We found a used new-in-the-box stand for $40. Whole thing packs in the front trunk of our A-frame.

Big enough to cook for 4 when we need it, cooks evenly and at controllable temps. We use the small bottles, which last us 4-5 days each, cause DW does not want to trip over a hose, and likes being able to set up anywhere in the campsite she wants.

We use a Canadian version of the portable 2 burner propane camp stove as our other cooking tool (since 1999). We bought when our 3rd Coleman 2 burner started leaking propane before the burner, just like the others before it. The Coleman also didn't run as well at altitudes above 6K. The Canadian has been up at 11K, just cooking away.

We like the Baby-Q so much, we are replacing our home deck grill monster with a Weber Q2000. Found one in good shape with stand at Salvation Army for $100. Provides all the cooking we want on the deck without the space and weight of the monster.

DW wants me to build another removable table/shelf to fit the camper side where the grill would mount.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21BHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip: Black Hills
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #7

We have an e-Pro that also came with that sad excuse for a grill. I'm surprised that Forest River would include such a piece of junk and a pretty nice trailer.
I'm even more surprised, and very disappointed in Coleman for putting out such a piece of junk.
I've been camping for most of my almost 60 years and always used and enjoyed Coleman products. I've got an old Coleman gas grill from the 50's that I've restored and use, plus a newer Coleman propane grill that is probably 15 years old and both work better than this thing.
The single long burner doesn't allow any adjustment, the grill part is a piece of cheap stamped metal which warps and the whole thing is junk.
Coleman which used to be synonymous with camping gear has really gone downhill with this product.
I recently ordered a Camp Chef to replace it.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzims View Post
We have an e-Pro that also came with that sad excuse for a grill. I'm surprised that Forest River would include such a piece of junk and a pretty nice trailer.
I'm even more surprised, and very disappointed in Coleman for putting out such a piece of junk.
I've been camping for most of my almost 60 years and always used and enjoyed Coleman products. I've got an old Coleman gas grill from the 50's that I've restored and use, plus a newer Coleman propane grill that is probably 15 years old and both work better than this thing.
The single long burner doesn't allow any adjustment, the grill part is a piece of cheap stamped metal which warps and the whole thing is junk.
Coleman which used to be synonymous with camping gear has really gone downhill with this product.
I recently ordered a Camp Chef to replace it.
A Chinese company bought the Coleman camping brand years ago. All Coleman camping products are made overseas.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Just an update, I used this thing again last weekend because I wanted to travel light, and I had easy food to grill, no long cook times. Just some burgers and some fish. The grill grate has begun warping, though it's never been on high heat. It was windy one evening, and it was a real chore to position the grill right so the breeze wouldn't blow out the burner. It blew out 3 times before I got it to stay lit. It is an exquisitely nice looking piece of crap.

As mentioned, Coleman's switch to cheap materials and manufacturing is really sad, it has become an economy brand, though many of their products command high prices. at least my old Coleman liquid fuel stove still runs great after 35 years (the green suitcase). Got a propane adapter for that shortly before getting RV and have never looked back. Throw the Lodge cast iron griddle on it, and voila! I have a Blackstone!
Old 10-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
All Coleman camping products are made overseas.

Not all of them are. We have one of their dual fuel stoves and it's made in the US. According to their website it still is.

The griddle that came with our 2021 Geo Pro is the Suburban Elite Series, and it works ok. No complaints so far.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #11

I purchased one of the small Weber grills and it works good.

Tags
coleman, grill, propane