Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Demco Kar Kaddy

We purchased a new Kar Kaddy SS a few weeks ago from a major RV Dealer in Billings MT. They supplied the hitch setup and took the time to show me how to load my VW Beetle on it (I did not have the car with me)... a couple weeks later I loaded my car on it and when I did I heard a loud sound but figured it was normal. Later when I backed it off it did severe damage to the front bumper cover (read $1K)...

In checking with Demco the first thing I had to determine was a formula (not difficult) to see it in fact my vehicle should be loaded on the KarKaddy. No problem, it passed that test with flying colors.

Next I talked with Demco and they looked at several photos I took and we determined the following:

1. The hitch setup was two inches short of what it should be. It was not likely though that this in itself caused the damage I described.

2. The "Latch Catch" was under the platform. Nobody knows how this could have happened, but it should have been on top as being under would not allow the tilt to be properly latched down. Still not sure this caused the damage and I was able with the help of a friend to put it where it belonged.

3. When I took delivery the ramps were unfolded during the demonstration but the man said they looked "too low" to tow it like that so he folded them up and away I went (empty) to my home with it. At this point alarm bells should have been going off but at that point I didn't really understand all the different parts ....and how they worked.

4. When you lower the ramps you must put them down, and PUSH them forward to lock them in place after which there is a knob that allows you to lock them in place. Someone had tightened the bolts on the sides of the ramps so tight there was no way to push them into a locking position, but again, I didn't realize it because the person who demonstrated the dolly when I bought likely didn't realize they had to go forward and lock into place. Because the ramps were tilted due to the bed not completely flat, and the ramps not being locked tight the representative at Demco was fairly certain this condition caused the damage to the bumper cover.

Conclusion: If you buy a car dolly, even if you have used a different brand before, read the instructions very, very carefully. Do not rely on the counter guy who sold it to you to know what he is talking about. He is likely doing the best he can BUT if he has not used this model for himself, indeed if he does not use a car dolly take what he says with a grain of salt.

READ the instructions, read them again, make sure the mechanical parts are working as they should. Don't assume it was properly assembled prior to your putting money on the counter.

It is a bitter pill to swallow, and I realize I might have avoided this if I had taken the time to really read the manual. Looking back, I would have bought the ACME Dolly and saved a lot of money. It is a much simpler design and what happened could not have happened with their model. I like the way the Demco works, but I could have bought two ACME Dollys for what this has cost me.

Lesson learned the hard way.

On the positive note, it tows very well and with the right car loaded on it it would be great!

P.S. I did ask the dealer to take the dolly back and get a refund. Good luck with that. Long after he forgets this I will remember and when it comes time to trade in my Motorhome I may go elsewhere. I am not sure, but this is how I feel today.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote