Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Learning a lot as I go...

Diamond LED Step Light kit

Has anybody else tried the Diamond LED step light kit? Curious if they are all like this or did I get a particularly bad one? Problem is that straight out of the box there are many of the LEDs that are not functional. I went through the whole deal of figuring out mounting (non-trivial since we have wrap-around step rugs) and wiring only to have my first segment not light on 1/3 of the string. I have one string that is only 1/3 lit.

Really disappointed with this one. Was a great concept and would have been great if only the LEDs worked.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Hecho en China?

Bruce
Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Hecho en China?

Bruce
Well yes it is but so what really? If you avoid everything and anything "Hecho en China" you are going to be virtually living in a cave. I would bet the computer you wrote that on is "Hecho en China", are you going to do without that?

And really what *is* the point of bashing anything made in China? Do we really think things made here are better? Oh yeah our RVs are made in the US and they are sooo much better quality than stuff made in China.

Absolutely I would love to see more stuff made in the US. But when I make purchasing decisions that is secondary to choosing what best fits my needs. This one unfortunately did not match the picture on the box nor expectations.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have bought LED flexable light strips that last 2months and a couple that have lasted a year....one never knows.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

X2!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #6

Made in China

Would have loved to have heard a solution or a positive suggestion
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Buy more
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #8

I tried calling Diamond last week but went through to an answering machine. Left message but got no response. It was a holiday week though so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I plan on trying again this week to see if they will stand behind the product and replace the LED strings. Will update with results,
Old 11-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #9

Steve, I am sorry to tell you but LEDS right now are a very "hot item" and everyone is trying to make a quick buck on them, and with that comes "VET BAD QUALITY CONTROL!"
As for Diamond themselves I can not speak, but they are just a wholesale/retail company buying and selling and item, you can download there 2015 RV catalog off the internet, with your product and tons of other items (http://dg-usa.com/wp-content/uploads...d_CAT_2015.pdf)
Many people have changed out there lights to LEDS of late and some brands are good and some are crap, and this is just the way things go today. I did just that a few years back and found a manufacturer that will sell direct, and have been very happy with the price, the service and the products try them out (LED light bulb, LED light bulbs for home use and cars) you will have to take a few minutes to get your bearings on where things are on the site (not a retail site) but they have been great to deal with and not one bulb has given me or many of my friends any issues in 5 yrs.
So again sorry for you troubles but Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #10

An update: after a number of miscues and attempts I got through to Diamond on their 800 number. Got a gentleman who without any explanation or anything said I would have to call another number which he gave me.

Turns out that other number is for Kaper II. Kaper makes the Step Light Kit and Diamond makes a pretty wrapper for the box and distributes it with Diamond's phone number and contact info.

In any case when I called Kaper I got a nice helpful gal on the phone who promised to send me another set of LED strips immediately. Within 24hrs I had an email from UPS saying I had a shipment coming. Received it in a couple days: a full replacement kit.

This second kit works WAY better than the first with all LEDs lighting up fully the way I expected them to.

So in the end, yes there was a problem with the product and I had a tough time connecting with the right company to make it right. But I gotta give them credit for customer support and fixing it.

Tags
led, light