Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Furrion Observation camera

Just want to let everyone know I bought a furrion FOS48TAPK-BL march 4 2018. On short trips it works fine but if plugged in for 2 plus hours it starts blacking out and cutting out. I contacted Furrion about this and they said since I bought it off ebay they won't do a factory warranty. Keep in mind not even 4 months old. I bought this new in box with factory seals on it. I gave them all my info and they refuse to stand behind their product. All I wanted is them to fix it but now I am trying to get the word out on them. To me a company that won't stand behind their product is a company not to use! If wanted I can share emails. Please share this and get the word out. thanks
jerrygallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I have the same camera and it works great.
I did have some cutting out issues until I moved the antenna around and found a spot it liked.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

I haven't tried that but I will. I don't understand why it's good for a while then starts cutting out and going to a blank screen.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

Had similar issues but after several calls to tech support they swapped me out with a refurbished unit and it works great. Give tech a call and try that route. Also i ordered but have not tried, because I do not need it at this point, a 17" 4Gtz antenna from Weesolutions on ebay. It would replace the original antenna on the camera. I also saw this antenna on 4U-Cam website as an accessory part for about the same price, $4.00. For $4 give it a try. Let us know how you do with this. Good Luck
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

Thanks I will try both out
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #6

I installed a Furrion observation camera on my 2018 Grey Wolf 3 weeks ago (TT was prewired to running lights), and finally used it towing this week. Short tow, maybe 30 min, but the camera is awesome. Camera antennae points straight up and slightly forward. I also bought 4 of the 'chokes' from radio shack (not sure what they are called, but I saw a youtube video about installing a Furrion camera and he used them. They cut down on electrical interference), snapped 1 around the camera power supply and the other 3 on the monitor power supply. TT is 28', and picture was crystal clear. My one comment is don't trust the green/yellow/red hash marks in the monitor without proving them out first with someone following you and talking to you on a cell phone regarding trailer clearance. I have a 2 hour trip planned in Aug and a 5 hour trip planned in Oct; which will give me a better idea on long term towing with the camera.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #7

I installed the same camera on our new Rockwood 1905 and, so far, it’s been great. I looked on-line before buying it and found a site that recommended adding the ferrite clip-on “noise” canceling gadgets ($6.99 for 10 on Amazon). I put one on the pre-wired power lead on the trailer and two on the power lead to the monitor. The signal is always full strength and the image is consistently clear and steady. I have 7 left if anyone is interested in them.

[emoji846]
MendocinoBreeze1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

I have to say, I have the same camera and though the signal is rock solid, the quality of video isn't very good. Now, we have moisture in the lens which makes it worse. Seems they could find a better camera and screen.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #9

Pretty sure Furion will not warranty any product purchased through eBay. There are so many knockoffs and fakes there that are almost impossible to determine whether the product is real or not...even down to the detail on the “factory” seals.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #10

I have this camera and although it could be better visual clarity (ie. it's not HD) it works great, never had any black outs, and it serves the purpose just fine. The rig came prewired for it, super easy install in like 5 minutes, etc. No complaints. Sorry you are having problems.
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #11

We have the Furion Observation Camera. Pre-wired pigtail plug in. Easy to mount and works great. Have had a few trips with it now, and no problems. Definitely recommend.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #12

My FR FSX 197BH is prewired for the camera. Is it as simple as plug and play?
cfb1141942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #13

Our Grey Wolf came prewired, and yes, it was as easy as plug and play. On my trailer you had to have the TV lights on for the camera to work. I also added a ferrite choke to the camera power line before installing, but that's optional.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #14

TV lights? Mine is also prewired.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfb1141942 View Post
TV lights? Mine is also prewired.
Tow vehicle
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #16

Furrion observation camera

We added the camera to our Rockwood mini-lite 1905. The trailer was pre-wired for it. Before installing it, I saw a you tube video that showed installing EMF chokes on the power cables at the camera and at the screen in the tow vehicle. We found them on Amazon (of course) and the camera has worked flawlessly on our trips. We have driven with it on for hours and no problems.

Just an idea. Hope it helps.
MendocinoBreeze1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wprather View Post
I have this camera and although it could be better visual clarity (ie. it's not HD) it works great, never had any black outs, and it serves the purpose just fine. The rig came prewired for it, super easy install in like 5 minutes, etc. No complaints. Sorry you are having problems.
^^ My experience as well.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #18

Yes, plug a play. Just take a few screws off, plug camera in, put screws back, put camera in car, power up, and go. Works well for me. I use it both for backing the trailer and as a review view mirror to help with changing lanes while on the freeway.

There are two versions of the camera. Make sure you get the one called the "Observation" version. The other one is for very slow speed only. The Observation one works going down the freeway as well. That's the one I have, and at least that is my understanding of the difference between the two.
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #19

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #20
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Luther View Post
My Cherokee is prewired for a furion camera. I'd like to install one, but have a few questions. [...]
I highly recommend that you start your own thread and ask your good questions there. Otherwise, you're just hijacking someone's thread. This thread is about a complaint of Furrion's warranty department. Your questions are good and will get better answers if you start your own thread.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote