Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

garmin RV 770 LTM-S

I got the new GPS so far not impressed. Just been using it locally. Poor route selections, had us going down roads that the GPS deemed unknown RV accessibility. When better roads are shorter, wider and straighter. Even the road leading into campground was "unknown RV accessibility"??? Gives you a warning for "sharp curves ahead" when it's a slight curve at BEST but NO warning at the real sharp curves. RR track warnings after you have crossed them.

Now the latest, we were 4 miles from a place just was not sure if it was north or south of us. So I put into the GPS it says go 8 miles south. Second guessing myself I went the 8 miles south then it says to make U turn go north 10 mi.[emoji35] We passed 10 or crossovers could have U turned at any of them, but no it picks the one crossover where posted "no truck U turns". Concrete curbing all around no way you U turn with TT. Are you kidding me right now?[emoji35]

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #2

That's sad to hear. Seems any of the RV type GPS units have some complaints. I am looking at the Garmin RV 660. But I assume similar problems will arise.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #3

We have a Garmin 5970 GMT or something like that. It has never put us in a bad situation and handles the faster/shorter selection very well. My wife argues with it all the way across country while she flips through the Atlas book.
Every time the GPS says something, I always reply "yes dear". Makes the DW boil! It's about 5 years old and works great as do all my other Garmin instruments on the boat. Don't know anything about the RV GPS.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
2012 Solera

I keep my RV760 in auto mode. Gives better routes, I think.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
We have a Garmin 5970 GMT or something like that. It has never put us in a bad situation and handles the faster/shorter selection very well. My wife argues with it all the way across country while she flips through the Atlas book.
Every time the GPS says something, I always reply "yes dear". Makes the DW boil! It's about 5 years old and works great as do all my other Garmin instruments on the boat. Don't know anything about the RV GPS.
And I thought my wife was the only one that argues with the GPS lady!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Occasional campers

We have particularly found that it's often better to have latitude and longitude for campgrounds, as well as their own instructions, since their addresses may be unrecognizable to the Garmin Lady. Had a campground that she thought was on the side of the Interstate highway; another where she thought it was on a dirt path to nowhere, but it was actually several miles down the road. Yet another was probably 60 or so miles away! Directions and signs got us there. Overall we like our GPSs, but they aren't perfect and need sanity checks. They've done great in some places with complicated interchanges and intersections where map-reading would take too long.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

We have been using the Garmin Dezl 560. This one is for truckers. We have been very satisfied with the unit.

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

All GPS has its limitations but this sounds like it needs an update of software. Check with Garmin customer support. My Magellin acted up when I first got it and an update improved things.
oldrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #9

Garmin RV 770

We bought the same unit and found similar issues. It all seems to be based on how you set up your rig configuration. I put in my rig weight (Truck & Trailer) from the CAT Scale (11,800) and my routing was very strange. Turns out that several of the roads I normally take are limited to 5 tons. I put in the length at 45' - overall length of both truck and trailer. That seems to have forced the unit to route only right turns. I reduced the weight to 7500 pounds and the length to 25' (length of trailer) and it now seems to give me reasonable routing.
RV - 2018 Open Range 2804RK
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #10

Settings

You must go to settings and put in the length and height and be liberal. Also make sure your settings are not AUTO as that is for cars not trucks and campers and motorhomes. You must also tell it the class of roads to avoid.....like toll roads, tunnels , bridges etc.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

In about 5 years only 2 faults with the RV 760. The same 2 with every other unit by other manufacturers too.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #12

Diito on Capn' Johns comments...very reliable in general. Given that this is a new unit I suggest.
1. Don't rely on built in points of interest like campground locations. These are not supplied/checked by Garmin and a small error in the POI database can put you in a cul de sac...not a campground. Use the actual address of the campground and double check location on your smart phone.
2. Definitely get the map update.
3. Check your entered preferences in the set up screens to avoid being routed incorrectly...avoiding tolls, avoiding highways etc as preferences can cause problems AND if they have no info on one road...they'll put you on one they know will not be a problem. Again...check the route in your smart phone google maps set for a car and note any differences and if they seem reasonable. Alternatively...set your unit to car mode and see where the route changes and if it makes sense.

Just last week in a rural area...it told me to turn later than a road I knew would get me there more quickly and had no tunnels and I had seen larger trucks on in the past...but in several places the overhanging trees forced me to drive in the middle of the road to avoid being scratched. Lesson learned!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

I did the updates and went back a second time for update checks to be sure. I have not even tried the POI little scared now.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I got the new GPS so far not impressed. Just been using it locally. Poor route selections, had us going down roads that the GPS deemed unknown RV accessibility. When better roads are shorter, wider and straighter. Even the road leading into campground was "unknown RV accessibility"??? Gives you a warning for "sharp curves ahead" when it's a slight curve at BEST but NO warning at the real sharp curves. RR track warnings after you have crossed them.

Now the latest, we were 4 miles from a place just was not sure if it was north or south of us. So I put into the GPS it says go 8 miles south. Second guessing myself I went the 8 miles south then it says to make U turn go north 10 mi.[emoji35] We passed 10 or crossovers could have U turned at any of them, but no it picks the one crossover where posted "no truck U turns". Concrete curbing all around no way you U turn with TT. Are you kidding me right now?[emoji35]
I have the 760 and have similar problems. On one occasion it wanted me to go down the interstate for approx 8 miles, make a U turn and come back 8 miles and take the off ramp. It has done this on the RV mode and auto mode. Othertimes it makes you go around the block instead of continuing straight down the road or puts your location on the wrong side of the road. Well as they say, it is only a tool to assist. It has saved me from going down a road that had a low bridge and no place to turn around. I would say that it is approx 95% accurate. Now when we put in a destination, we check the map on the screen and directions to see that it is bringing us correctly, without detours, to our destination.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #15

We just purchased the Garmin 770, thinking we would start out with the latest/greatest technology. We do realize these things are not perfect, since being mislead by Google Maps on my phone AND the uppity Range Rover navigation system that obviously doesn't know a curve from an off ramp! I downloaded the owners manual and there does not seem to be an option for entering our configuration of a motorhome with a toad. This seems to be an obvious necessary option because WE CANNOT BACK UP like with a trailer or a 5th wheel. Any suggestions as to how I should enter my configuration?
2015 Coachmen Freelander 22QBF | 1980 Toyota truck toad

Stinkielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
We just purchased the Garmin 770, thinking we would start out with the latest/greatest technology. We do realize these things are not perfect, since being mislead by Google Maps on my phone AND the uppity Range Rover navigation system that obviously doesn't know a curve from an off ramp! I downloaded the owners manual and there does not seem to be an option for entering our configuration of a motorhome with a toad. This seems to be an obvious necessary option because WE CANNOT BACK UP like with a trailer or a 5th wheel. Any suggestions as to how I should enter my configuration?
I have a RV 760 configured for my 5er. It has never put me in a backup situation.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
I have the 760 and have similar problems. On one occasion it wanted me to go down the interstate for approx 8 miles, make a U turn and come back 8 miles and take the off ramp. It has done this on the RV mode and auto mode. Othertimes it makes you go around the block instead of continuing straight down the road or puts your location on the wrong side of the road. Well as they say, it is only a tool to assist. It has saved me from going down a road that had a low bridge and no place to turn around. I would say that it is approx 95% accurate. Now when we put in a destination, we check the map on the screen and directions to see that it is bringing us correctly, without detours, to our destination.
I have had the Magellan RV5365 for about 5 years and it too has it's limitations. Just this last trip it took us down a washed out gravel road(pulling the TT!) and luckily there was a place to turn around at(the end)! The park owner said a lot of people that come there take that road(listening to their gps) when if I had taken a paved road just 2/10 of a mile further I would have not had that detour. But I was just following the directions. Every once in a while it goes crazy and starts sending me circling around the block and I have to press the reset to straighten it out. I guess it depends on where the satellite is in relation to the gps receiver when the directions come thru. I don't know much about all that stuff. Just that it is handy but I won't put all my faith in it. I still keep a map close by.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote