Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Angry Generac IQ2000's

Thought long and hard about this purchase vs the Honda 2000's. Using them for backup power I knew they wouldn't be used that often. The Honda's would run about $2200, these were $1450, both prices include the parallel cable. First use I found they would not continually run my 15k AC. Keep in mind the AC cycles (even before set temp is reached) and draws a transient current over 40 amps. The AC cycling would cause one of the gen's to speed up momentarily then when it slowed the "breaker" would kick. I imagine the Honda's probably have a smoother transition. I brought them into a Service Center close by and the tech checked them out thoroughly and no problems were found. It was his opinion that the gen's couldn't handle the above referenced transient start current, I agreed. Anyway, the solution was purchasing an electronic addition in the form of a microprocessor controlled board from MicroAir to reduce the start current to around 18 amps. The gen's work fine now, easily run the AC plus additional loads.
The Generac's seem to be well built, we'll see in a couple of years. I figured for the limited use and reduced cost they would be fine. I am happy with the results all things considered.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #2

I think a hard start kit would have done the same for you thats what I have on my rig. I run yamaha's 2000 in parallel and have never had a problem. They do cost a little more then the Generacs but a little less then the Honda
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Thought long and hard about this purchase vs the Honda 2000's. Using them for backup power I knew they wouldn't be used that often. The Honda's would run about $2200, these were $1450, both prices include the parallel cable. First use I found they would not continually run my 15k AC. Keep in mind the AC cycles (even before set temp is reached) and draws a transient current over 40 amps. The AC cycling would cause one of the gen's to speed up momentarily then when it slowed the "breaker" would kick. I imagine the Honda's probably have a smoother transition. I brought them into a Service Center close by and the tech checked them out thoroughly and no problems were found. It was his opinion that the gen's couldn't handle the above referenced transient start current, I agreed. Anyway, the solution was purchasing an electronic addition in the form of a microprocessor controlled board from MicroAir to reduce the start current to around 18 amps. The gen's work fine now, easily run the AC plus additional loads.
The Generac's seem to be well built, we'll see in a couple of years. I figured for the limited use and reduced cost they would be fine. I am happy with the results all things considered.
I had the same problem with mine when I tried to use them. Have you got any information on the part from MicroAir, I would be interested in trying it.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
I had the same problem with mine when I tried to use them. Have you got any information on the part from MicroAir, I would be interested in trying it.
https://www.microair.net/collections

I bought the 364 enclosed board, it is an easier install (vs just the board) and is weather proof. They also have a video showing installation and results measured with a current meter. It was interesting in their video when they showed using a hard start capacitor, like some do, did not reduce the start current. Nice to buy a product the actually performs as advertised. IMO the MicroAir would be a good addition even if the generator(s) someone has run the AC.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Team

If you are running the AC you should not use eco mode.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

My 11 year old Honda EU2000is run my 15k a/c on eco mode all the time without any easy/hard start. And that's with the converter and usually the TV on. And I can use an extended run fuel tank without having to make any mods. Guess there is a reason all generators are compared to Honda

Would an expensive easy start be beneficial? Sure!!! But not necessary. If I was worried about it, or had under powered generators, I believe I would go the cheaper hard start capacitor route.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
The AC cycling would cause one of the gen's to speed up momentarily then when it slowed the "breaker" would kick.
If only one of the paralleled generators revved up, I would think the parallel connection was not functioning correctly.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My 11 year old Honda EU2000is run my 15k a/c on eco mode all the time without any easy/hard start. And that's with the converter and usually the TV on. And I can use an extended run fuel tank without having to make any mods. Guess there is a reason all generators are compared to Honda

Would an expensive easy start be beneficial? Sure!!! But not necessary. If I was worried about it, or had under powered generators, I believe I would go the cheaper hard start capacitor route.
Hard start capacitors don't reduce the transient start current. You are right about the Honda's, they are great gen's. If I was going to be using them for anything other than backup I would have bought the Honda gen's.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #9
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
https://www.microair.net/collections

I bought the 364 enclosed board, it is an easier install (vs just the board) and is weather proof. They also have a video showing installation and results measured with a current meter. It was interesting in their video when they showed using a hard start capacitor, like some do, did not reduce the start current. Nice to buy a product the actually performs as advertised. IMO the MicroAir would be a good addition even if the generator(s) someone has run the AC.
Thanks for the link. Do you know if I am running 2 AC units (not at the same time) if I need to put 1 on each unit??

Also I thing my main problem with mine is I had to turn my surge protector off when hooked to the generator because it will not power up my unit when on.
2021 4 reserved
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Do you know if I am running 2 AC units (not at the same time) if I need to put 1 on each unit??

Also I thing my main problem with mine is I had to turn my surge protector off when hooked to the generator because it will not power up my unit when on.

Yes, each A/C needs a soft start.

This has to do with some kind of floating neutral/grounding thing:
http://learntorv.com/generator-may-n...with-your-ems/
Old 10-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #11
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That's what The thought
2021 4 reserved
Old 10-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:

One for each and the gen's need to "see" the ground and neutral tied together, you can do this with a plug. RV's don't provide this, a house has them tied together at the panel.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
One for each and the gen's need to "see" the ground and neutral tied together, you can do this with a plug. RV's don't provide this, a house has them tied together at the panel.
Just to clairify your post you mean an Easy start for each A.C. unit but only 1 Neutral ground bond plug for the two generators from the way I read it.

There should only be 1 N-G bond in any electrical system and the generators are connected via the parallel cables. I just don't want someone getting confused or hurt. I had to reread it to make sure I understood.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Just to clairify your post you mean an Easy start for each A.C. unit but only 1 Neutral ground bond plug for the two generators from the way I read it.

There should only be 1 N-G bond in any electrical system and the generators are connected via the parallel cables. I just don't want someone getting confused or hurt. I had to reread it to make sure I understood.
Right.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #15

Update: While the gen's now run the AC I feel they do not respond fast enough when the compressor cycles (as it does often). I am going to go by the warranty center (very close to me) and talk to the tech about it. I will update again when I do.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #16

Update again: After further use I have found the gen's do respond fast enough. The problem is after the throttles kick up under load, it is the decrease in throttle that is the problem. The speed decreases too much, it goes way too low. I need to check with the warranty tech to see if this can be corrected. As it stands I would not recommend these generators to run a 15k AC unit. I bought them for backup only so they will be fine in a pinch. If I were looking for something to use often I would go with the Honda's, especially considering the new 2200 watt models.