Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

JACK Antenna-Does it need to be "on" to work??

Right now I am 60 miles north of Bismarck, ND and 90 miles south of Minot, ND. I get every one of he following channels with my JACK:

Bismarck, North Dakota TV Listings

Does the antenna have to be "on" to work? Here is why I am asking. The "lights" on the antenna area awfully bright. I like to watch TV before I go to sleep, using the sleep timer. I find I am unable to sleep. (I have a Forest River Sunseeker 3170). Ok, I know I have a pocket door I could shut that would close off the lights. BUT, I have my cat's litter box near my bed, and that prevents me from shutting the pocket door. I have a reason the cat's box is there, I don't want to move the box elsewhere. So, I cannot shut the door. Anyway, last night, I shut off the Jack and found that I still had adequate TV reception on all channels! So, does it actually have to be "on" to work? Or are the "lights" just a way to find the channels?

Also, I'm wondering if my JACK was calibrated incorrectly. In this same location, when I turn it to where ALL the lights are on, I can't get ANY channels. SO, I had to turn, scan, no channels, turn, scan, no channels, turn, scan OK THERE ARE THE CHANNELS and only one blue light is lit, besides the red light.

ALso, I have noticed that in areas I have stayed before with a Batwing, the JACK does both:

Gets channels I was unable to get on batwing
Fails to get channels I was able to get on batwing.

SO, I'm not seeing how it is better than batwing with Wingman.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

This is a complicated answer.

1) Both the Jack and the Wingman Sensar are "directional" and must be aimed at the station's broadcast towers (located using a source like www.antennaweb.org for the PC or TV Towers for the iPad/iPhone.

2) Since "most" signals are now digital (some low power local stations were not required to switch), it is critical for the antenna to be oriented to the tower that the broadcast station you want to watch is using (a single tower - or array - can have 4 or 5 stations on it) to get clear "un-pixelated" video.

3) UNLESS you are within 20 miles of the tower(s). Inside that range, the UHF loop in the Jack and Sensar will get "enough" signal to display video regardless of pointed direction. Towers beyond that range (not pointed at) will not display, and may not even be detected.

You will need to "re-search" for channels when you rotate your Jack/Wingman to the new tower (that is beyond the original detection range).

As far as the power supply-CableTV/Antenna Switch; it must be "ON" to route 12 volt power to the signal amplifier in the Jack/Sensar control head (white box on Sensar) AND to switch from the camper's cable TV coax jack to the roof antenna.

You must have been very close to the towers to have used the cable TV coax cable as an antenna and got anything at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	37381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Roadmap Wide angle.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	37382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite at Camper.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	37383  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

I've owned TV's (not in my RV, though) that had a feature called "add channels." This meant you could scan for new channels without affecting the current lineup you got previously. I wish my RV TV's had this feature. Instead, have to rescan when I turn the antenna.

Actually, this is the first place I have stayed since I got this RV 10 months ago where I didn't seem to need the JACK to be "on" to get TV stations. I will soon be going to a more remote location in NE North Dakota (two inches from Canada and three feet from Minnesota....), I'm sure the antenna will need to be "on" to get any channels there.

Also, I have 3 TV's in the Forest River Sunseeker 3170. Ok, the third TV, which is across from my computer desk, is really overkill, but it came with this model. I have noticed that I cannot get all channels on the middle TV that I get on Front and Back TV regardless of where I turn the JACK. But I don't use that TV all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
You will need to "re-search" for channels when you rotate your Jack/Wingman to the new tower (that is beyond the original detection range).

As far as the power supply-CableTV/Antenna Switch; it must be "ON" to route 12 volt power to the signal amplifier in the Jack/Sensar control head (white box on Sensar) AND to switch from the camper's cable TV coax jack to the roof antenna.

You must have been very close to the towers to have used the cable TV coax cable as an antenna and got anything at all.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I have noticed that I cannot get all channels on the middle TV that I get on Front and Back TV regardless of where I turn the JACK. But I don't use that TV all that much.
Easy fix if you can find the bad signal splitter.
There is a loose connection or it is just bad.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #5

Not sure which jack you have. Not sure how the jack antenna heads that replace the wing guard work. I have the jack antenna that only rotates, does not go up and on the wing guard arm. I have 4 leds and the antenna base that are used for the attenuator (sp) to indicate signal strength. There is a on/off switch at the antenna base that shuts these lights off but does not shut the antenna off. The antenna is shut off at the amplifier. To aim using attenuator turn the knob down until the last light barely goes out. Then slowly rotate the antenna till it lights up again. Keep repeating this process until the you can no longer get the last light to come on. When it no longer lights up by turning the antenna return to the last position and your antenna is aimed.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

That's what I have. Mine is original equipment. It doesn't go up and down, only rotates. I don't have an amplifier switch. If I do, it's hidden. My previous RV's had an amplifier switch, but I don't have one. Your directions for aiming seem opposite to what my manual says.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Easy fix if you can find the bad signal splitter.
There is a loose connection or it is just bad.
The channel I cannot get in the middle TV is a "weak signal" channel.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Would think you have to have an amp switch. Have you ever hooked up cable? If so how is the picture? Mine won't find channels on cable if the amp is on. Switch protrudes through the face plate where the coax for the TV plugs in on mine. I installed mine to replace the oem omni direction jensen. 6 to 1, half dozen to the other regarding tuning for signal strength.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

Could be a difference in tuners on the TV's if a weak channel comes is on one TV and not on another.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Having had the jack and still use the "signal finder", those lights are BRIGHT! You do not need to have it on in order for the antenna to work. The amplifier, which must be on, is separate from the signal finder, which only has to be on while aiming the antenna. Turn it on, aim it, turn it off. I attached pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4069609541.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	37444   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3704373337.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	37445  
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I found the new amp plate to be very good for "fine tuning" the antenna once you have found the station's tower.

The procedure I quoted works exactly that way for the Sensar antennas.
If I erred implying it should be the same for the Jack, I apologize.
I was under the impression the leading elements are in the fat lobe in front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sensarProWeb.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	37448  
Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You are right Herk, I just happen to know that the signal finder for the Jack, will light up the night sky. Or possibly light the way of a golf cart!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #13

My antenna is in the living room. Kids use the lights as night lights ....lol
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

I'm aware of the thingie that protrudes through the face plate being the "amplifier." I can't find it. I have an "entertainment center" in the overhead bunk and the TV's are all connected to a switchbox in one cupboard of the entertainment center. The wires all go out of the switchbox and disappear in a hole in the back of the cupboard. I can't get to the faceplate.

All three of my TV's are Jensen, I'm pleased with that. I've had TV's of different brands and have had the issue of getting some channels on one but not the other. The Bedroom TV and middle TV are the exact same model, but still the middle TV I cannot get a "weak" channel.

I'm aware you have to turn off the amplifier to get cable. Cable has always sucked in this model, I'm guessing it's because I can't find the amplifier switch.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I've owned TV's (not in my RV, though) that had a feature called "add channels." This meant you could scan for new channels without affecting the current lineup you got previously. I wish my RV TV's had this feature. Instead, have to rescan when I turn the antenna.
It is my belief (not yet proven) that the "Add Channel" function is something that is no longer practical with Digital TV because you would have to know the real channel number as well as the virtual channel number. The average Joe would have no idea what that meant or where to find it. I've wished for that function as well.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

Dang. Too bad the "add channel" function isn't on TV's any more.

Anyway, here is an example of what I said about getting channels I didn't use to get and NOT getting channels I used to get.

Last year, I had a different RV with batwing, and I stayed in a North Dakota State Park 1 mile from the Canadian border. With the batwing, I got the Canadian channel from Manitoba. This year, with different RV and JACK, I cannot even get the Canadian channel.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #17

Dab a black sharpie marker on the LEDs and you will tone the brightness Dow to an acceptable level. Let it dry for 5 minutes between coats and just dab it on, do not rub it.
Happy Camping
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #18

I just bought a 14 wildwood xlite 26 feet camper, first one that I have ever owned that has the new stationary antenna on top that you dont crank or turn, reception sucks, even with booster on, is there any suggestions on what I can do to at least get a news channel to see whats going on in the world why I am away, thanks !!
davel3083 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna