Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

Lippert Forward Adjusting Automatic Brakes

While at the 2013 rally we saw a demo on new Lippert upgrades available for reduced "show special" pricing.

The presenter could have been talking directly to me. He told a story about a Lippert employee who drove from Goshen to California and started with his brake control on 5 and ended the trip on 9 due to pad wear.

Since I was currently on 9, I realized my diet of highways and (mostly) pull through spots was not allowing proper brake pad adjustment and a heavier setting was the result.

I took advantage of the show price and Lippert's offer to do the install for $50 an hour (2 hour install) which is more than half the normal rate.

To say there was an improvement would be an understatement. My camper brakes have not been this good since I drove off the dealer's lot 4 years ago.

This mod/upgrade was WELL worth the money and is highly recommended.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Herk. When I was doing the bearings and seals this spring I was suprised to find our 2012 Wildwood Xlite had the auto adjusters on it. And I think the most I have had to adjust the brake controller so far is 1 or 2 tenths of a value. When I installed the new tires and wheels on Saturday before leaving the rally I checked the brakes and they were spot on. Might have to update the other trailer brakes.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
While at the 2013 rally we saw a demo on new Lippert upgrades available for reduced "show special" pricing.

The presenter could have been talking directly to me. He told a story about a Lippert employee who drove from Goshen to California and started with his brake control on 5 and ended the trip on 9 due to pad wear.

Since I was currently on 9, I realized my diet of highways and (mostly) pull through spots was not allowing proper brake pad adjustment and a heavier setting was the result.

I took advantage of the show price and Lippert's offer to do the install for $50 an hour (2 hour install) which is more than half the normal rate.

To say there was an improvement would be an understatement. My camper brakes have not been this good since I drove off the dealer's lot 4 years ago.

This mod/upgrade was WELL worth the money and is highly recommended.
No lie Hurk, I bought the same thing, except mine were the 12" and still a 2 hour install. Like you I've never had brakes that work like this. It's great and listening to the same guy you were listening to made me think I needed something that actually worked. The man was right on. Great buy.
See ya next time Herk, take care.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

I wish I had read this before we left the States! I would have brought a set back with me.
Do they really make the stopping better, or is it that you don't have to increase the voltage to account for increased wear?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I wish I had read this before we left the States! I would have brought a set back with me.
Do they really make the stopping better, or is it that you don't have to increase the voltage to account for increased wear?
I'm not sure of the mechanics of these things but they keep the brakes adjusted as you move, For us as we travel 2200 miles one way in the fall and back in the spring I don't have to worry about brake failure while on the trip. They work super on our big Cedar Creek.
Hope your able to get a set when you return here.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
They adjust the brakes for you. Something you would need to be doing manually (or by backing up a bunch) if you don't have them. If you don't do it manually when you need to, your brakes will be less effective (to the point of not working at all).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

It makes the stopping better because you do not have to keep manually adjusting your brakes as they wear. Any body that drove drum brake equipped cars of the past can remember having to adjust there drum brakes or the brake pedal would keep getting lower and lower. Then came out the auto brake adjusters for drum brakes and you drove with a good brake pedal till it was time for new brake shoes. The same thing happens here with the auto adjusters on the trailer brakes. The difference is you do not have to keep increasing the output voltage to the brakes. Lower number = higher pedal. Higher number = lower pedal. Less laying on your back adjusting brakes.

You still should inspect your brakes at least once a year. Making sure to check the hardware and adjusters for wear or damage.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

I'll have them shipped to me. I wonder if I can just get the internals? I'm going to have to call Dexter. I bet it's just a few parts...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes