Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Manufacturers defect

Good morning,
I would like to share a story, I purchased an 2008 Rockwood Trailer in 2013, it had been parked at a lake for the 5 years prior to us buying the unit so was pulled from Calgary to Dixon Damn which would be 1400 KM assuming it was brought home annually. In 2013 we pulled the unit from Airdrie AB to Gull Lake AB, 304 km return. we also pulled the unit from Airdrie AB to Drumheller, 216 km return, then stored the unit in Forestburg 260 km one way. In 2014 we brought the RV back to Airdrie from Forestburg, 260 km one way. We pulled the trailer from Airdrie AB to Red Deer AB 230 km return, Again from Airdrie to Gull Lake 304 km return. From airdrie to Botrel AB twice 144 km, then pulled the RV back to Forestburg to store, 260 km one way. In 2015 we pulled the RV from Froestburg to Peace River 668 km one way, we then headed home to Airdrie however, had a major breakdown enroute. The weld under the RV attaching the hitch to the RV broke away clean causing additional stress on the tires which then caused a Tire to blow causing damaged the wheel well. After contacting the insurance company it was identified as "Manufacturers Defect". I then contacted Forest River to discuss the matter. Now just to clarify, the RV still has original tires which measured by the appraiser to still have 75% tread (picture attached), the total mileage on the RV would be 4,046 KM. At which point the hitch breaks off the RV during transport. I am curious to know if it is acceptable to have the manufacturer tell me that it is not a concern of theirs after 7 years. I understand the warranty would have expired and we are not the original owners, however, the pictures clearly shows the weld has separated clean off the RV causing the tire to blow. Thankfully we have a larger truck and were able to keep from rolling the vehicle or even worse, causing a collision on the highway. It has been decided by Forest River that they would be in no way responsible for the defect of the RV nor would they even consider splitting the cost of the repairs, Total estimated damage is $3500. Which doesn't seem to be a lot of money, I did go to the company as a concerned consumer as my family members also tow forest river manufactured units, which I feel may also be a safety risk given the lack of quality workmanship that has been identified here. I am sharing this story so others will be aware that they too could be at risk and may want to rethink purchasing from this line. Our unit is a Rockwood which would fall under the higher end of the range of units manufactured by Forest River...Please please reconsider if you are looking at a Forest River Product!!!
Attached Images

jewelgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #2

Can't see any pic
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #3

You have a few issues going on here which makes this a tough read in a way. The major issue being a factory weld that has failed.
One would think both the manufacture of the trailer and whoever builds their frames would want to know or see pictures of this for the well being of their other customers who have the same product. Maybe they already know and just want this issue to go away. Wonder if the dot has a file on such occurrences. Tires are over 5 years old and the amount of tread left on the tire is not a issue. It
Is recommended to have the tires replaced before 7 years.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Since you are in Canada I do not know how you would report the weld (safety) failure to Canadian Dept of Transportion.

In US we have NHTSA

Transport Canada has this web page.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

First, I’m sorry you have experienced this but, you first reported this a year ago. Are you telling me you still haven’t gotten this repaired? Report the defect to the proper Canadian government authority and move on. Get the unit fixed and start RVing again or, fix the unit and sell it.

In all probability your 2008 unit was built in 2007. Look at the 10th digit of the trailer’s VIN number, if you see a 7 it was built in 2007, if you see an 8 it was built in early 2008.

FYI, trailer tires should be replaced every five years regardless of miles driven or what the tread looks like. After 5 years you’re gambling with those tires.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Team

The poster hasn't even been active on the forums in almost a year. I'd be surprised if we hear an update on this one.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #7

I've never heard of anyone else having this problem before. Not saying it couldn't happen
Certinally there is a bias here and I wonder if a moderator could delete the post, or is that a no no. As you say if the guy hasn't bothered to update and I couldn't understand why he would spend half the post talking about seven year old tires when his frame came apart at the weld. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote