Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Angry Palomini 180FB Off-road edition

We purchased our BRAND NEW 2016 Palomini back in April of this year, and issues have popped up since. First off, the dead-bolt didn't work right off the bat. no big deal, took to dealer, and they begrudgingly fixed it (review on them later). Then the fridge panel began to curl and peel off the fridge door. After asking the dealer to repair, they attempted to replace the factory cover with A PIECE OF WOOD PANELING(again more on them later).

Our power awning is incredibly sqawky after being extended for only a short amount of time, and the cylinders seem over-powering to the point where you cannot adjust the pitch/slope of awning to shed rain. As soon as you lower the arms, the cylinders push the awning to the full up position causing rain to pool. Staying with the awning theme, the trailer side edge of awning leaks profusely in any kind of rain, dripping down windows and into the door on entry and exit. Is the point of the awning not to allow you to be outside during rain? The under-awning LED strip has about 12-18" of working LEDS out of the entire strip, and we have only used it a few times(mostly because of this).

Moving inside, the front passenger-side window crank/know was stripped and broken the first time we opened it, and the mechanism no longer holds the window in the closed position. After a short trip down the highway, the window is open, and the interior is filling with crap. The cupboard doors do not stay closed even on the shortest trip, spilling our back-packing trip dishes everywhere, as well as our pantry food. The panel under the mattress recently cracked as I rolled over in my sleep. Everytime I move in bed, there is a creak now, as if this trailer was 20 yrs old!! Thats a lie, a trailer from 20yrs ago would be able to handle someone sleeping. The over all build quality and craftsmanship is hands down, terrible. I never knew Stevie Wonder built rv's as a hobby!! Nothing is straight, screws are missing, or if they are there, provide marginal moral support at best.

On the underside, the Stabilizer jacks are held on with one bolt AND A SINGLE SELF TAPPER SCREW.......Some of which tap into nothing, as they thread into an existing bolt hole. Maybe Stevie was out of bolts and the bolt bin was far enough away to require getting up, taking 14 steps, bending over, finding bolts, and making the return trip. Wiring to the holding tanks is messy, and connections are exposed, leading me to believe this unit was built on a friday afternoon, and Ol' Stevie had a hot date to get to.

Now I know safety would restrict the seeing-impaired from constructing such a piece of........art. So I can only assume that Stevie Wonder works in the quality control department and deemed this sucker fit for delivery!

NOT AT ALL PLEASED WITH Palomini/Palomino/Forest river product, will advise anyone interested to steer clear and purchase a walmart barbie tent for the same effect, and will never consider looking inside another for as long as I live!!

And as far as the "Off-Road Edition" part goes, don't bother. Only suspension on the trailer is the tires. The smallest of bumps becomes an ordeal, at minimal speeds. Speed bumps are terrifying at parking lot speeds. We enjoy dry camping out and away from people, at wilderness rec sites, down gravel roads. But with this "offered edition", the best we can do is the $15/night open landscaped field campgrounds with no services.

Oh and the Contact us info must be outdated, as I have sent a few emails to the warranty department, with 0 replies. If I wanted to tinker and repair **** myself, I would have purchased and older used trailer, AND NOT PURCHASED THE ADDITIONAL EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lumpycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

How is the 180FB going?

I have had mine since May and put some miles on it....small stuff here and there but it seems to be holding together.
Wankrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

Hi Wankrl7, how is you camper holding out since October-2016?
GodFtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFtr View Post
Hi Wankrl7, how is you camper holding out since October-2016?
Wankrl7 hasn't posted on the Forum in 2 years, so you may not get an answer.
You might want to send a PM instead.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Wankrl7 hasn't posted on the Forum in 2 years, so you may not get an answer.
You might want to send a PM instead.
No major complaining to be done. It has held up well. Heading out for the third season. So far I have dragged it over 20k miles. The rubber roof was replaced under warranty for minor issues. Mainly due to a dealer that was good at warranty claims.

I do go over it constantly with dicor and sealant. If I didn't it would probably have water damage by now.

It is cheaply built but I understand that and accept the minor stuff.

I have added 200 watts of solar on the roof, composting toilet, LiFePO4 battery, new wheels with 225/75-15 Goodyear Endurance tires, and a 100 watt ground solar panel.

Thinking about transitioning to a truck camper at some point. But if I keep it a higher capacity axle would be in the works.

Are you looking a new or used one ?
Wankrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #6

It’s a new one…I just picked it up yesterday; actually at the same time I received your email 😊 It was between this one and the Wolf Pup 16FB. My wife preferred the Palomini because of the storage inside; more cabinets than the Wolf Pup.

You are right, it’s made cheap and most of them are made cheap. Well hoping for the best and planning to enjoy it for years to come

Thank you very much for the information and wishing you the best on your camping trips…
GodFtr is offline   Reply With Quote