Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #1

Poor workmanship

Just purchased a brand new 2017 rockwood mini, tongue jack mounted on a slant and forest river refuses to fix, never buy another if there shabby products again.
winstmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstmk View Post
Just purchased a brand new 2017 rockwood mini, tongue jack mounted on a slant and forest river refuses to fix, never buy another if there shabby products again.
Thanks for the report.
Are you saying the jack was mounted on a slant during your PDI and your dealership wouldn't correct it?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Yes, they spoke to FR about fixing and stated they were told no
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Not sure I would take delivery of it then. Not seeing it and not knowing how sever the issue is, I cant give an honest answer. Did you order the unit or was it on the lot?
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
If you watch this forum long enough, you'll see story after story in which a dealership shirked their responsibility and blamed Forest River. I'm on my way out but someone should give you contact information for Rockwood specifically and you can contact them to get some action.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #6

We ordered it , I was told it is not a problem, but after camping a few times it seems like it would be better if was mounted straight, it slants back toward the tank cover
Old 11-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

I have and they are not willing to help either
Old 11-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1479127098.035323.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	125188
Old 11-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Site Team

It is a little hard to tell from the photo, but to me it looks like the entire front of the tongue in bent. It appears that the propane tank mount is at the same angle as the frame and the tongue. Park the TT with the main frame level, then check the tongue It should be level also. If the tongue is bent, I would not tow it until is is replaced.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Team

I gotta agree with FlyBob, it sure looks like the tongue is angled upward toward the ball. I'd definitely have that checked if that's the case. That's a whole nuther ballgame than the jack being at a slant.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

Both FR and dealer ( McGeorge) said all is normal, I agree it does not look right but they are not wanting to own up to it.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you take another photo with a little more of the front/side of the trailer including the tongue? It appears there is something terribly bent or out of whack and we hate to tell you to pursue repairs if it is an optical illusion.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Get a long straight edge and align it to the frame rail under the TT so it sticks out just past the ball. This will depict a bent tongue if it is actually bent. Next send that photo to FR (directly), If the TT was that way when you purchased it ( and not damaged by you) they should be willing to repair it. Do not go through the dealer as it is possible that it was damaged at the dealer and they do not want FR to know.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

I have sent picks to FR and they do not think there is anything wrong, said there was nothing needed . Should have researched FR better , seems this the norm for their customer service
Old 11-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #15

The picture could be a little deceiving because of the angle it was taken and it appears he has his ball height set way high and the trailer is riding nose up. I noticed on our 2017 Roo 23WS that the tank cover leans forward because of the way they fabricated the tank base on the A frame. I trimmed the tank cover in the back as it drove me insane to look at it. All of that said something does not look right even at the angle the picture is taken. You need to crawl under and take a good look where the A frame tubes attach to the frame rails and make sure the welds are not cracked. Also the A frame tubes would have a visible kink in them if they bent and it would be right where the front fascia is most likely on the top edge of the tube.

You also would have to account for frame camber. The frame should of been built on a level surface so to use a straight edge you would have to pull a plane from end to end of the frame. They should of had the frame end points all at a uniform dimension from the level surface and then attached the A frame parallel to that surface. Sometimes the A frame will be installed slightly up from the level plane, its helps with tracking, but not as much as it appears in that picture. I can tell you on our 23WS the top of the A frame tubes are set at top of the front fascia which puts the top of the A frame tube at the top of the frame rail. Where the A frame tubes are gusseted to the frame webs about a foot and a half behind the front fascia the top of the A frame tube is down a good heavy 1/8" below the top frame flange and the flange is 10 gauge I think, or slightly more than 1/8". Just by that my A frame is angled up at least 1/2" in relation to the main frame rail if the main frame rail is perfectly straight, which it may not be due to camber. It certainly is not visible though, at least it doesn't look like that picture and I have looked at it at length, its the way it was made.

I would find a garage or somewhere with a level floor and then level the trailer so it is the same dimension to bottom of main frame at all 4 corners, then measure up to the bottom of the A frame members at the rear where they tie into the front apron and then out where the coupler is attached.

Then again the frame is made by Lippert, and all you need to do is google "Lippert frame issues" and enough stuff will pop up your head will be spinning.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #16

Even the jack toe plate looks bent. I have a small utility trailer that looks bent the same as that. In my case I know what happened. The trl was heavily loaded and I back up a sloped driveway from the street. The downwards stress on the a frame with the rear of the trl high caused my bend. I'm not saying that is what happened here but could be a cause.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Even the jack toe plate looks bent. I have a small utility trailer that looks bent the same as that. In my case I know what happened. The trl was heavily loaded and I back up a sloped driveway from the street. The downwards stress on the a frame with the rear of the trl high caused my bend. I'm not saying that is what happened here but could be a cause.

I agree. Like the trailer was dropped hard bending the entire "A" frame.

Or it's an optical allusion and the only thing bent is the 3 bolt flange that is part of the jack itself. Again, as observed above, the toe plate looks bent as if the trailer was dropped on the toe plate while the trailer was in motion.....like when they just pick them up with a ball on a forklift to move them around, I think this one was put down hard before it was completely stopped.

Edit; In that case, it would be a dealer issue since it more than likely happened in their lot!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #18

I can't understand how FR can look at your photo and say this is normal? I guess they would consider the jack mount in this video to be abnormal...

Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #19

You may want to compare your rig to others of the same model to see if that is how they come from the factory. If yours is different then they should take it back and fix it. If its how the others are then I think I would unbolt the jack and place shims under the backside to straighten it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Get a long straight edge and align it to the frame rail under the TT so it sticks out just past the ball. This will depict a bent tongue if it is actually bent. Next send that photo to FR (directly), If the TT was that way when you purchased it ( and not damaged by you) they should be willing to repair it. Do not go through the dealer as it is possible that it was damaged at the dealer and they do not want FR to know.
If you look closely in the picture the OP posted, you will notice the landing pad on the end of the jack leg is bent on the front, which tells me it either got caught on the ground and bent the front of the tongue and jack leg or it was dropped with the leg down. I've bent a few on ag implements and you can readily tell if they were bent from dragging because they become very hard to retract. If it was dropped and bent the pad, there would be no resistance when retracting. It's certainly bent (pad) and it's obvious in the picture if you look closely..

I believe the picture amplifies the angle because the tongue is not level but riding nose high. makes it look worse than it really is, but it is bent.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote