Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #1

Rear left electric stabilizing jack

Recently I purchased a (new) Forest River Salem 26ft travel trailer. On my first camping trip I assembled everything in correct manor as shown by the sales representative during purchase. That night as I showered I heard metal to metal squeaking sounds. My shower is located in left rear over the electric stabilizing jack. Quickly I went outside to determine the problem. In result I found that the stabilizing jack was bent where the elbow meets when extended and when closing for traveling. I am an average 200 pound man, curious how this has happened! I made an appointment where I purchased,with intention for it to be under warranty and fixed. In result it was denied by forest river. With no explanation. I was given a number of the manufacture (Lippert Components).I have called with no answer, emailed also with no answer! I feel of no fault in this manor wanting an explanation and result.
maxpavlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

are they power or manual stabilziers? either product failure or cranked down to hard would be my only guess. I always use blocks to limit how far my stabilzers come down. I feel they are less effect and weaker the lower they are dropped.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

They are power, I did not apply pressure on jacks let them touch till snug. Yes i agree it is level where we set up. I set my pad blocks down equal on both sides so would not sink in the ground. I agree haven’t had it longer then 2months.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpavlik View Post
They are power, I did not apply pressure on jacks let them touch till snug. Yes i agree it is level where we set up. I set my pad blocks down equal on both sides so would not sink in the ground. I agree haven’t had it longer then 2months.
I think the electric one are junk, mine were repaired twice under warranty, whe they break again I am installing the scissor jacks.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Did you have wheel chocks in place?
Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I think the electric one are junk, mine were repaired twice under warranty, whe they break again I am installing the scissor jacks.

I agree now that I have this problem. I’m hoping for some type of fix out of this. Very unsatisfied with manufactures at the moment, I feel blown off.. I am using old temporary scissor jacks not as convenient. I bought with intentions of power being convenient.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Site Team

I hope you didn't use the jacks for leveling.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I hope you didn't use the jacks for leveling.

No I did not. I parked on level ground used front tongue jack for horizontal level. Placed a bubble level inside the camper on floor till level then set down jacks on pad blocks. It did rain and snow that night ground was (wet,mud) should not have made a difference I have thought of all conclusions.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #9

Make sure you don't raise or lower the tongue jack while the stabilizers are down. Raising the Tonge jack will crush the rear stabilizers.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #10

Agree, yes I set tongue jack in place. Lowered jacks down till snugged to ground. Noticed was bent that night called dealership next morning was told to raise rear jack up carefully bring in for repairs.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Make sure you don't raise or lower the tongue jack while the stabilizers are down. Raising the Tonge jack will crush the rear stabilizers.

I made that 450.00 dollar mistake. I was so aggravated with myself.
Skeeter63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #12

Lippert Rear Stabilizer CRA_

My 2017 Coachman Chaparral30RLS came with the infamous Lippert rear electric stabilizers. They worked (sometimes) during the 1st year (no warranty) as I followed others comments to get a rubber mallet and lightly "whack" the motor to re-seat the rotor pickups (terminology is no doubt wrong). Worked for a whele (on/off) then this year one last hurrah ... then nothing ..... took it apart (YES - 12 volts at the motor - NO JOY). So the motor needs R/R - how much could that be?? ~ 350-400 $ CDN $. Nope that's not going to happen to replace it with another Chinese POC. So GOOGLE is there a aftermarket solution - NOT that I can find.

Soooooooo what to do? Manual crank is a PITA - I guess I could cut the end of crank off ... grind some edges and use a electric drill (hmmm why can I get a quality electric drill (rechargeable for 60 $ - but Lippert wants 350 + $ for a POC Chinese motor?).
X_Medic 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #13

I started out using an 18 volt battery drill for my manual stabilizers. Not a good idea, I wore Put the drill soon. I went with an 18 volt battery operated impact wrench and all has been well since.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric