Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Ready to Go

RV Stabilizer that works!

WOW! We have been trying to get the rocking out of our 5th wheel for 4 years now. We have tried the front end stabilizer, super slide stabilizer jacks and not thing helped. I finally took a good look one day at the weight displacement and noticed after the rear axle there is one set of stabilizers and then about 9' to the end. Well I always laughed at the valterra rear stabilizer... how can a small aluminum brace help.. WELL call me a bone head. we bought one to test and wham! no more rock and sway.

Here is the information for it and now my 39' 5th wheel is stable for $50.

http://www.valterra.com/product/rv-s.../?pcat_id=1223

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Always Learning

I'm glad they worked for you. We found absolutely no benefit to using it. I ended up selling it here on FRF.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm guessing if you have 9' from your last stabilizers, to the back end of your rig, anything you put back there would help. That is a L O N G overhang with nothing stabilizing it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLynn View Post
WOW! We have been trying to get the rocking out of our 5th wheel for 4 years now. We have tried the front end stabilizer, super slide stabilizer jacks and not thing helped. I finally took a good look one day at the weight displacement and noticed after the rear axle there is one set of stabilizers and then about 9' to the end. Well I always laughed at the valterra rear stabilizer... how can a small aluminum brace help.. WELL call me a bone head. we bought one to test and wham! no more rock and sway.

The Valterra pic on your link appears to show this stabilizer deployed along the side frame just behind the 5th wheel's landing jack. Is that where you used yours?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
Empty Nesters

I use this on the back of my Sunseeker MH that has no stabilizers and it helps keep the bedroom and bathroom stable. Very happy with them.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
I use two of them. One at the tail end and one under the steps. These along with the x-chocks and JT Strong Arms have made it pretty solid.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #7

I've found that the Lippert one touch self leveling system often raises mine to high to get level. It seems it prefers to keep raising corners to achieve level rather than lower, often to the point of lifting the wheels. This makes for a shaky 5th wheel. I've found too that if I drop it back down manually I can re-level manually without nearly as much piston extension resulting in a shake free or nearly shake free trailer. I have one of those stablilizers left over from my TT. Worked good with the TT but haven't needed it yet with the 5th.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

Stabilizers

Quote:

I have a JT strong arm stabilizers, this makes 4 triangles in front and 2 at the rear. A triangle is a rigid geometric structure which can not be flexed unless you break it. This is not true for a trapezoid such as the one above so it probably is inferior to a system based on triangles.
harleybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRik View Post
I use two of them. One at the tail end and one under the steps. These along with the x-chocks and JT Strong Arms have made it pretty solid.
That's where I put them, rear bumper and under stairs. I make sure I put boards or pads under them.

In the past, if I just let them rest on dirt or gravel they didn't work very well.

On pads or concrete, solid as a rock....
Mmwtdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmwtdh View Post
I make sure I put boards or pads under them.

In the past, if I just let them rest on dirt or gravel they didn't work very well.

On pads or concrete, solid as a rock....
X2
Old 01-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
Ready to Go

I have a brace holding my hitch in the rear so I put it under that.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #12

I have a 30’ windjammer and I’ll try anything! Any suggestions?? I’ve got the slidout jacks I’ve even replace the factory scissor jacks. Nothing so far has worked for me.
ffej58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #13

Camco Eaz-Lift 48860 Telescopic Jack, (Pack of 2) from Amazon.
This is what I've use for the last 3 years. I did add a " block" to the top of these to locate on the frame rail. 1 per side fore and aft of the axle. You can tell the difference. Shake not totally gone but big difference. Problem with all the scissors jacks is they rock back and forth even if you add a couple more on the frame rails as others have done.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej58 View Post
I have a 30’ windjammer and I’ll try anything! Any suggestions?? I’ve got the slidout jacks I’ve even replace the factory scissor jacks. Nothing so far has worked for me.
Have you tried scissor chocks? We found on our trailer (not 5er) that the motion was coming from the wheels. Didn't take much motion on our small trailer to put the wheels rocking and set of the hard disk protection on my computer.

Products available depend on the type of wheel configuration you have.
Here's an example.
https://smile.amazon.com/X-Chock-Whe...chocks+scissor
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Camco Eaz-Lift 48860 Telescopic Jack, (Pack of 2) from Amazon.
This is what I've use for the last 3 years. I did add a " block" to the top of these to locate on the frame rail. 1 per side fore and aft of the axle. You can tell the difference. Shake not totally gone but big difference. Problem with all the scissors jacks is they rock back and forth even if you add a couple more on the frame rails as others have done.

Wonder if I turned the jacks to run the length of the camper? Think that would help?
ffej58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej58 View Post
Wonder if I turned the jacks to run the length of the camper? Think that would help?
The 4 corner jacks are stock. The back 2, if you lowered them to the point before ground contact, " move" fore and aft. The forward 2 "move " diagonally so their movement is opposite. I would surmise that any variance from those 3 directions of movement would only serve to help if that were the type jacks you'd want to use. The jack stands I have, have no movement but, my TT sits on a tandem torqueflex axle. Short of concrete blocks, getting all the movement out of it, probably won't happen.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
DW's 401(k) Plan

I used the valterras on my Flagstaff 27BESS and loved them! One under the back bumper and one under the propane tanks. A step brace helps with movement, also.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote