Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Switching models

So, I am about to take delivery on my 2018 Rockwood SUL 8324bs. I ordered it 10 weeks ago. It's sitting at the dealer, waiting for me to pick it up this weekend.

2 hours ago, I was just trying to familiarize myself online with Forest River with some new options that I never had in my previous units. That's when I saw the 2018 brochures online and noticed that the model we ordered has 3 slides now. Even though I ordered and will receive the 4 slide unit, it seems the 3 slide makes more sense and is a better plan.

That's not why I am pissed. I am pissed off because Forest River knew it was going to come out with this same model (just three slides) at the same time I ordered mine. They should have given me the option to wait one month. Same as a car dealer will say, "hey, wait one month - the new style is coming out".

I called Forest River to voice my displeasure with their lack of "heads up" when I was buying a $47,000 rv. I spoke to two people there, both not giving a crap. They basically said we don't give a *****. You get what you get and don't get upset.

I am just saying that they should have told me (and other 8324bs) buyers that a major change was coming to a 2nd model year.

I am Very upset about their lack of caring and poor customer relations.
Outzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Information like that is not up to Forest River. It's on your dealer to inform you of those matters. The dealer is not a FR employee.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Seems like the blame should lie more on your dealer than FR. *IF* they even knew at the time that this was a change that was being made.

Although it's just an opinion on whether or not the new model is better. For me, I'm glad I bought my fiver when I did. The next-year model after mine wasn't built with the same quality IMO. The dealer agreed since they quit carrying them afterwards.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree, your anger should be directed more towards your dealer.

When we ordered ours, the dealer informed us of a floor plan/model change and we ordered the new model. I searched all over Forest River's documentation (web site/brochures/show specials/etc.) and couldn't find anything other than what the dealer had told us.

I assume our dealer got the info from their factory rep but it sure wasn't available to the public at that time. As it was, it still came in slightly different from what the dealer described as the factory was making changes on them as quickly as they came down the assembly line.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

Who did you talk to at Forest River? Did you talk to the Rockwood Customer Care Folks, or just called the main Forest River number?

If you are that much against your 4 slide unit, you can always call the dealer and refuse delivery - you will probably be out your deposit but at least you will not be buying a unit you do not like.

Just so you know, all the RV manufacturers put out new floor plans and in a lot of cases it is closely held until release (just like new car body styles are a closely held secret until release).

Just like most folks know when the new model year cars & trucks will be released, after you have been around RVs for awhile, you will learn that a lot (not all) of the new floor plan releases are done at trade shows so, the Hershey show in SEP & the Tampa Show in JAN are good bets when the new floor plans will debut.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Team

What's interesting, is that he's right. The 3-slide model does look nicer and makes more sense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3slides.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	154007

Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #7

IMHO, I like the 3-slide model for the fact that it looks like the bathroom is easy to access with the slides in. That was a major factor in my last purchase. I do take breaks at rest areas and prefer my own potty as to what the public has to use.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outzider View Post
They should have given me the option to wait one month. Same as a car dealer will say, "hey, wait one month - the new style is coming out".
So, I think you pointed out what others are saying. the "DEALER" is the one to blame, not the MANUFACTURER.

Mike
Old 01-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #9

They also changed the furniture though on the three slide version. It no longer has the opposing tri fold sleep couches. It only has one now with the theater seating opposite so if you opted for the free standing dinette, your sleeping capacity took a major hit (no two mention you lose the under seat storage of the "L" couch). We have a deposit down on one right now and chose the 4 slide option on purpose because it give a bit of separation, almost like a "dining room" and a "living room" area. I wonder of the 3 slide option lightened the tongue weight, since this floor plan appears to be very front heavy and its kissing the payload limits of the F150 with a family of 5 in it.
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Broken Toe

Not to be a jerk, but seems to me that this is entirely on the OP. The dealer, or FR were under no obligation to let you know that models would change. You picked out a unit and agreed to purchase it. What were they supposed to say? "Hold on, we don't want to take your money. They have a new unit coming out that you might like more!" While you may disagree, its not in any way dishonest, shady or even bad customer service that they sold you the unit you selected without 'warning' you that the new model would have significant changes. I could see your point if you looked one over, ordered a new one off the line and it came significantly different from the unit you looked at, but this is an entirely different situation. And knowing car dealers like I do, never in the history of automotive sales has any saleman ever said "Wait! Don't buy now. We got a new model coming in a month". That just don't happen.

The best solution if the 3-slide unit is that much of an upgrade is to arrange to trade-in the 4 slide unit, and then purchase the 3-slide one. Of course, you will lose money on the deal. It's not like they are gonna swap them evenly.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #11

are you saying that FR is making a 'mid year' model change - and you had ordered the 2018 model versus the 'new' 2018 1/2 model?

when you originally ordered your unit 10 weeks ago(that's almost 3 months and Oct or Nov of LAST year), the factory may not have even had any info yet for dealers, much less a 'new' updated model website or brochures.... how would that make FR or your Dealer 'responsible' to tell you something when you clearly wanted to ORDER the coach that YOU wanted? You're also assuming that 'everyone' would naturally want the new layout, but maybe just as many others who have ordered this WANT the original layout. Maybe your dealer was actually HAPPY that they could order you exactly what you wanted BEFORE the factory changed it! When you intentionally order a new vehicle I suspect that the Dealer and FR both figure that it is EXACTLY what you want, why would they then question that? We understand your venting, though, as it doesn't 'feel' good.

I think it's one of those 'it happens' situations that no 'one' person is somehow responsible for. This happened to the Palazzo line back in the 2014 models. The initial 2014 Palazzo had the then typical 2 track Schwintek slide room mechanical installation. The 2014 1/2 models, like mine, have the 3 tracks, after Thor realized that an additional track for heavier longer slides was warranted. I'm sure the owners that ordered the initial 2014 model, right before the advent of the change for the 2014 1/2 model, would not be 'happy' if they knew the difference, and thought it was important.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #12

Can anyone confirm whether the dining slide actually blocks access to the bathroom on the 8324BS when closed?
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Not to be a jerk, but seems to me that this is entirely on the OP. The dealer, or FR were under no obligation to let you know that models would change. You picked out a unit and agreed to purchase it. What were they supposed to say? "Hold on, we don't want to take your money. They have a new unit coming out that you might like more!" While you may disagree, its not in any way dishonest, shady or even bad customer service that they sold you the unit you selected without 'warning' you that the new model would have significant changes. I could see your point if you looked one over, ordered a new one off the line and it came significantly different from the unit you looked at, but this is an entirely different situation. And knowing car dealers like I do, never in the history of automotive sales has any saleman ever said "Wait! Don't buy now. We got a new model coming in a month". That just don't happen.

The best solution if the 3-slide unit is that much of an upgrade is to arrange to trade-in the 4 slide unit, and then purchase the 3-slide one. Of course, you will lose money on the deal. It's not like they are gonna swap them evenly.

Tim
I realize this is an old thread that somehow got revived but what I highlighted above is EXACTLY what our dealer said to us.

We were all set to order a 8528IKWS when our dealer said " Have you heard about the new 8529IKBS coming out?" (similar but slightly different)

They got us advance information (before factory literature was released) and contacted the factory on numerous occasions to get answers to questions that came up during the ordering process.

Good dealers know their stuff.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the dining slide actually blocks access to the bathroom on the 8324BS when closed?
Just looking at the pic, I would guess the answer to be yes. Which is another reason the 3 slide model is better.

It's too bad the OP never came back to post here again.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #15

This is an older post, but I'm in agreement with 5picker. He never mentioned anything about asking about the newer models. When I got my 2017 Cherokee, it was late season, we were looking at the 2016's and I knew the 2017 would be coming out sometime. Just before we decided, I "Asked" the dealer about the 2017's. He had 4 coming 3 weeks from that time. We put a $50 hold on one of the 16's, waited for the 17's, liked the changes and bought the 17. Dealers aren't mind readers, you get what you ask for.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch