Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Temperature monitor for pets

There is a new product on the market called Temp Stick from a company called Idealsciences.com. If you're worried about temporarily leaving your pets and a problem causes the temperature to rise in your RV, this may be the answer. It requires an internet connection and we use ours
with our Verizon hot spot. It will alert you with a text message or email if the temperature goes above (or below) a preset point. Battery operated so it still works if a power failure. One time cost of $149 and no monthly charges. Check it out at Idealsciences.com.
I have no connection with this company. I just think it is a good product that fills a need of pet owners.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

I like that there is no subscription.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Currently, I'm using an ACU-Link with three temperature and humidity sensors to monitor the interior and exterior temperatures of my fifth wheel. I also purchased a small ups unit if I lost power. The ACU-Link also requires an internet connection and I'm using my AT&T Unite mobile hotspot.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
Currently, I'm using an ACU-Link with three temperature and humidity sensors to monitor the interior and exterior temperatures of my fifth wheel. I also purchased a small ups unit if I lost power. The ACU-Link also requires an internet connection and I'm using my AT&T Unite mobile hotspot.
Do you have a link where I could check out this option?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #5

I purchased my ACU-Link through Amazon.com, but here is a link to the manufacture's website:
https://www.acurite.com/environment-...ity-01059.html

The ACU-link requires an Ethernet connection. You could use a Ethernet to USB adapter if your internet device has a tethering mode. Alas, my mobile hotspot does not support tethering and I had to purchase a Ethernet to WIFI adapter:
https://www.netgear.com/home/product.../WNCE2001.aspx

Total cost for me was $177 + tax
$99.98 for the ACU-Link and three sensors
$76.99 for the Ethernet to WIFI adapter

No subscription fees

Attached is a screen shot of my sensors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).jpg
Views:	515
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	119681  
Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #6

@cgotto1204, thanks so much for the links and suggestions! :thumbup:
Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

I wanted to post an apology to the original poster, I just wanted to mention what I was currently using.
I was looking for something liken to the temp stick that DSurette reviewed, but couldn't locate any information online. Got the idea for my system while walking through Lowes.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
I wanted to post an apology to the original poster, I just wanted to mention what I was currently using.
I was looking for something liken to the temp stick that DSurette reviewed, but couldn't locate any information online. Got the idea for my system while walking through Lowes.
I appreciate both of your suggestions, I like having more than one option to review
Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #9

We have used a product called TempAlert for awhile. Found them when I had to set up remote monitoring of unattended data centers and communications rooms. They have several options for communications and a wide variety if sensors. We use the cell service and haven't had anywhere in the US that it didn't work yet. There is a subscription service but you can put the account to sleep if you don't use it. I recommend them highly.

Remote Temperature Monitoring & Alerting | TempAlert
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
DDC

If it requires an internet connection then when the power goes out so does the net router so how does it then let you know of the problem, loosing power while I'm out is the biggest fear when leaving the dog in the trailer.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Very cool, was looking for something like this. I could see using mine or the wife's phone as a hot spot. That should solve the question of what happens if you lose power. But, not so helpful if you're in an area with no cell service.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If it requires an internet connection then when the power goes out so does the net router so how does it then let you know of the problem, loosing power while I'm out is the biggest fear when leaving the dog in the trailer.
Mine too. So I use an old iPhone and my T-Mobile Mi-Fi hotspot. The hotspot has a battery. As long as the tower is up and broadcasting the MiFi will stay on for 8 hours without power. I plug in a 120volt light into a regular socket. I shine the light (led bulb, no heat) on a thermometer. I use Alfred, a free surveillance camera app to connect from my active on a cellular plan phone to connect to the old not paying a dime for smart phone with camera connected to the mifi and check the temp. If the light is off, the power is out. If the temp is going up, the A/C isn't working. If the camera is on the floor, the dog is not getting a treat when I get back.

Since I already have the MiFi, the used camera capable smart phone, and an old desk lamp, the only thing I bought was a $2 thermometer from the Hardware store.

I'd like to take credit for the idea and finding the products. But I found it on Youtube on the RVing with Tito channel. Check it out:

Reuse Your Old Smartphone as an RV Surveillance Camera | rvwithtito
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCarr View Post
Mine too. So I use an old iPhone and my T-Mobile Mi-Fi hotspot. The hotspot has a battery. As long as the tower is up and broadcasting the MiFi will stay on for 8 hours without power. I plug in a 120volt light into a regular socket. I shine the light (led bulb, no heat) on a thermometer. I use Alfred, a free surveillance camera app to connect from my active on a cellular plan phone to connect to the old not paying a dime for smart phone with camera connected to the mifi and check the temp. If the light is off, the power is out. If the temp is going up, the A/C isn't working. If the camera is on the floor, the dog is not getting a treat when I get back.

Since I already have the MiFi, the used camera capable smart phone, and an old desk lamp, the only thing I bought was a $2 thermometer from the Hardware store.

I'd like to take credit for the idea and finding the products. But I found it on Youtube on the RVing with Tito channel. Check it out:

Reuse Your Old Smartphone as an RV Surveillance Camera | rvwithtito
Very interesting option! Thank you for sharing
Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #14

My AT&T Mobile Hotspot has a 10 hour battery life when not on the charger. For my ACU-Link and WIFI Adapter, I purchased a small UPS system through Amazon.com.
https://www.amazon.com/APC-BGE50ML-B...E50ML+Back-UPS

After installing the system, I disconnected the shore power to the RV to verify operations and temperature alarms.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
cgotto,
This seems like a pretty good option, $$/function, especially since you get 3 sensors. You can monitor the outside temp too, which will give you a decent idea of how long it will be before the trailer gets uncomfortable for your pet. 120vac power loss won't be an issue for me. Since it will be in the trailer, I can use a small inverter to power it. I have a couple of them laying around so won't need to buy a UPS.
Can you set the App to warn you if the temp goes out of range or do you have remember to check it? That is my biggest issue with my current setup, an IP Camera, connected to a hotspot, pointing at thermometer. I don’t remember to check it enough so a warning alarm on the phone App would be great.

Thanks to all for posting these great options!

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #16

I have my third sensor mounted the refrigerator. After installing the sensors, you will need to set up a free account through ACU-Link: https://www.acu-link.com/login
There you can set your alarm points and notifications. Currently my alarm point is set to 80 degrees inside temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2).jpg
Views:	261
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	119703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	119704  
Old 09-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #17

If you use a hot spot like the Verizon you can keep it powered with the USB charger connected to AC. If power is lost the hot spot will run on batteries for several hours. The temperature sensor itself is advertised as having a one year battery life.
We have camped all over the United States and I can't remember a time when our Verizon hot spot was not connecting, even in Yosemite.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #18

I use a jet pack so that isn't a power problem for me. My son who is smarter then me sent me a charger pack that you charge up and tether your jet pack to that and it should work for over 24 hrs that way, but most people are only gone for a few hours at a time, so the jet pack alone would handle a power outage.... PS: what ever happened to our member that was in the development stage of a pet monitor?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #19

The temp alert I mentioned above requires no internet, only cell. While they have options for wifi, we specifically chose the more ubiquitous cell option. Believe it uses Verizon. Never had it not connect.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlreeves View Post
The temp alert I mentioned above requires no internet, only cell. While they have options for wifi, we specifically chose the more ubiquitous cell option. Believe it uses Verizon. Never had it not connect.
How much is the monthly cost for that then? You're paying for a data plan in some way through the service provider and all you're getting is the monitoring of that device. The MiFi solution at least gives you data each month that you can use for email, web surfing, etc.

Its the reason I've never like the WiFi enabled cars. You're just paying for a dedicated data plan inside the car. Why not just get the data plan on a tethering smart phone or MiFi?

Is there an advantage to the standalone that I'm missing?
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote