Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Tire minder tpms

Bought a system and extra sensors back in January. Had one of the sensors to go down so I emailed the folks at TM. Got a prompt reply and after sending the old sensor in along with proof of purchase I received a new one along with 2 replacement batteries. Took about a week. I haven't installed the new one yet but I'm most impressed with the prompt attention I received.
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Was that a Truck Systems Technologies unit?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Was that a Truck Systems Technologies unit?
No, it's a Tire Minder. I believe they are different companies. I think I decided on the Tire Minder because the sensors can run on rubber valve stems. I remember calling a couple companies and they said their products could only be used on metal stems. I think TST was one of them. Memory ain't what it used to be though so I might be wrong!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

"Can" run on rubber valve stems...but probably shouldn't.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
"Can" run on rubber valve stems...but probably shouldn't.
My experience has been fine. So far since January I've hauled the 5er 2,000 + miles and driven another 20,000+ with my truck. I haven't lost 5 pounds of air between 8 tires.

My intent wasn't to give a recommendation or endorsement of the product but more to share my customer service experience. To each his own so to speak.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #6

I had a great experience with them as well. My unit was interfering with the TPMS in my tow vehicle... I mailed them the unit and they sent a replacement along with a signal booster and it works like a charm... Great customer service....
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

I just bought the i10 Tire Minder tpms with 10 caps

The product says its for tires with rubber valve stems not that it "can" work on rubber.valve stems - aa was aluded to above.

The tires on my Class C specify using rubber valve stems.

TST recommends metal valve stems.

To each his or her own.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:51 PM   #8

5 years, about 5,000 miles a year, rubber valves stems, same ones, no problems.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroadorer99 View Post
5 years, about 5,000 miles a year, rubber valves stems, same ones, no problems.
15 years with rubber valve stems. Finally had 1 crack last year fortunately it happened at a rest stop on I90. Tire was fine when I exited the coach, when I returned from walking the dog the tire was gushing air - thought the tire had been punctured. The repair man identified the issue, valve stem crack.

But, I am sticking with rubber stems. It's what the tires call for. And while everyone has a preference, I've been advised metal valve stems can have problems too.

Anyway, never had a tpms before but after the issue above I realized how close I came to a blowout at highway speeds - time to heed that warning and get a tpms. On the same trip, my toad had a flat - that one happened overnight but the previous day it's own tpms said the tire was low so I added air at the beginning of the day and it towed and drove fine that day and night.
Another lesson learned - buy enough caps to monitor all 10 tires.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:10 AM   #10

Since we are also discussing valve stems, I have seen chrome sleeves that go over the valve stems. Would that be a good idea to help protect the rubber valve stems?
Old 11-30-2021, 02:42 AM   #11

timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
15 years with rubber valve stems. Finally had 1 crack last year fortunately it happened at a rest stop on I90. Tire was fine when I exited the coach, when I returned from walking the dog the tire was gushing air - thought the tire had been punctured. The repair man identified the issue, valve stem crack.

But, I am sticking with rubber stems. It's what the tires call for. And while everyone has a preference, I've been advised metal valve stems can have problems too.

Anyway, never had a tpms before but after the issue above I realized how close I came to a blowout at highway speeds - time to heed that warning and get a tpms. On the same trip, my toad had a flat - that one happened overnight but the previous day it's own tpms said the tire was low so I added air at the beginning of the day and it towed and drove fine that day and night.
Another lesson learned - buy enough caps to monitor all 10 tires.
Timing is interesting at times.
On my 2015 ram 2500, i had a slow leak in a tire 4 years ago, had hard time finding it, turned out to be bad valve stem. Last year, was doing work on inside of camper, and had screen door open, heard loud bang, and hissing. Got outside, and front drivers side valve stem just blew, sitting there. That could have been ugly zipping down the road, expecialy towing. I need new rubber soon, ill have the other 2 that havent been changed yet, changed.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:12 AM   #12

Quote:
I have never, ever seen a tire that had a recommendation for metal vs. rubber valve stems. Only that the valve stem must be rated for the maximum tire pressure. What tires do you have that "call for" rubber valve stems? What difference could it possibly make to the tire when the tire does not contact the valve stem at all?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:16 AM   #13

Back to Tire Minder TPMS, I have the cheap 4-tire unit for trailer only. What I don't like about it is that there is no indication as to whether it is receiving a current signal from the sensors or not. Without a signal, the display just happily displays the last reading from the sensor.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I have never, ever seen a tire that had a recommendation for metal vs. rubber valve stems. Only that the valve stem must be rated for the maximum tire pressure. What tires do you have that "call for" rubber valve stems? What difference could it possibly make to the tire when the tire does not contact the valve stem at all?
Don't take the "call for" literally. Its what I've been told by a wrecker service that got me back on the road after a cracked valve stem. All I've ever had in 16 years were rubber valve stems on 16" Class C tires.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Back to Tire Minder TPMS, I have the cheap 4-tire unit for trailer only. What I don't like about it is that there is no indication as to whether it is receiving a current signal from the sensors or not. Without a signal, the display just happily displays the last reading from the sensor.
I will be verifying the readings as best I can until confident of correct equipment operation. I just ordered mine on Cyber Monday and am looking forward to reading the installation instructions, hopefully there's a trouble shooting guide. Bought from Techno RV and there is support - will see.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
I will be verifying the readings as best I can until confident of correct equipment operation. I just ordered mine on Cyber Monday and am looking forward to reading the installation instructions, hopefully there's a trouble shooting guide. Bought from Techno RV and there is support - will see.
I'm currently running rubber valve stems on my dual axle trailer, but I will upgrade to metal when I replace tires (hopefully they last two more seasons). Did you get Tire Minder? I wired the repeater to the taillight circuit on the trailer, so it is only on when the parking lights are on, and I always run at least parking lights on when towing. Did not want the repeater on when not hooked up to tow vehicle, even though it is just a tiny load. I mounted the repeater on the a-frame just a little bit behind the breakaway brake switch and wired the power into the junction box of the 7-pin cable.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm currently running rubber valve stems on my dual axle trailer, but I will upgrade to metal when I replace tires (hopefully they last two more seasons). Did you get Tire Minder? I wired the repeater to the taillight circuit on the trailer, so it is only on when the parking lights are on, and I always run at least parking lights on when towing. Did not want the repeater on when not hooked up to tow vehicle, even though it is just a tiny load. I mounted the repeater on the a-frame just a little bit behind the breakaway brake switch and wired the power into the junction box of the 7-pin cable.
Yes, it's called Tire Minder i10 TPMS. I got 10 caps so I can monitor my toad even though it's got it's own tpms built in.

Just bought yesterday, they already shipped it free, no sales tax (Alabama), saved $150 on my whole order (bought the Viair 400 air compressor too) and they just sent me an email (below) with links to support and the install manual which I already downloaded.

Don't know where I'll mount the repeater. I've got basement storage with 12v switched lights on both sides in the rear and my coach battery compartment is mid coach. And the 7 pin electrical connector on the rv has a 12v wire. So I've got options hopefully the installation manual or support can help guide me.

I will have to buy 135 degree extenders for the outside dual tires and maybe short straight extenders for the steers - depends on the length of the caps to clear the beauty rings.

I am super pumped. Can't wait for my first trip next year - have to get busy planning and making reservations. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211130-174539_Email.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	266287
Old 12-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #18

Update.

Reviewed the 30 page or so installation manual with operating tips and common troubling shooting. I am not 100% positive since I haven't opened every link they sent me, but think there's a separate operating manual.
There's also a Learning Series of videos on the tpms system which I haven't looked at yet.

The signal booster is more of an signal interference device than a booster. It is not optional per the manual and is to be located under the motorhome. Direct 12v battery connection is acceptable.

The manual also recommends metal valve stems but quality rubber stems too as long as they are maintained, inspected, and replaced with new when when tires are put on.

Manual also recommends against braided steel valve extenders and airless braided extenders don't work with their caps. Since I don't know if mine are airless I am just going to replace them with a quality straight extender. They recommend a rather expensive set of dually tire extenders which have rubber wheel insert stabilizers which look smart. I don't mind the cost if warranted but am going to shop around.

All in all, I feel much more comfortable with preparing to install the system but not happening until I uncover my motorhome in March with warmer temperatures
Old 12-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #19

If you have any issues or questions just give them a call... Their customer support is the best and located in Florida so they speak English.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
If you have any issues or questions just give them a call... Their customer support is the best and located in Florida so they speak English.
Good to know! Appreciated