Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Valterra SS01 Sewer Solution

I saw in another post a recommendation for the Valterra SS01 Sewer Solution. The reviews on Amazon are mixed between love it and hate it because it's too fragile.

I didnt want to hijack that thread but would like to ask forum members about their real world opinion of this product.

Is it really cleaner than the traditional dump the black, then dump the gray method?

Is it really fragile? Anyone figure out how to use it without breaking it or make more robust somehow?

Thanks!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:56 PM   #2

I love mine, allows me to dump at home. Definitely cleaner than the stinky slinky. As far as fragility, I keep it permanently connected to a clear 45° elbow, so the elbow will take the abuse of connecting/disconnecting from the camper.

Mikeschultz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:06 PM   #3

It works just make sure your length isnt long and its not uphill. Mine is and looking to add a pump inline.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

I've been using mine for 2 years, lots of nights. I put my system together with parts and supplied my own hose. Picked up a contractor 3/4" hose at one of the big box stores. Chopped it up and added some additional fittings to get a dedicated black tank flush hose and a hose to feed the SS. My dump hose is 40' long. Net cost using parts and my own hose was marginally lower than the same capability as a kit.
I like having the long length - worked at a couple of sites where the sewer was a longish distance from where I wanted to setup.
So far nothing has broken on the setup. I'm thinking of getting a brass valve and quick disconnect. I feel like the quick disconnect is on the weak side but has worked flawlessly so far. Also debating shortening my hose a bit, 40' is beginning to seem a bit on the long side (and it's heavy!).
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 PM   #5

Before we picked up our first trailer(a Casita), I saw a video of the Sewer Solution and was sold on it immediately, Ordered one and have never used a slinky at any camp site. On our first camping trip, I noticed an occasional drip, nothing serious, but a drip is a drip. Thinking it was a seal problem, the next time we went camping, I tried adjusting it several times but still had the occasional drip. ... After close inspection, I could see a small hairline crack in the plastic body. I took pics of it, contacted the company, emailed them the pics and they agreed to send me a replacement of the main body piece(they call it the pump). ... While waiting for the delivery and wanting to go camping, I mixed some Harbor Freight epoxy and smeared a thick layer across the crack. ... Three trailers and six years later I'm still using that same SS pump body(with no drip) and for six yrs have had a spare one in standby. .... Yep, I'm sold on the Sewer Solition

One of the advantages(there are several) of the SS, is not needing to save the gray water for cleaning the slinky after dumping the black tank. I always leave the gray tank open, which for me is necessary during freezing temps, ... because I prevent water freeze ups by letting the shower trickle flow all during the freezing temps and if closed the gray tank might fill and over flow the shower base during the night. ... Plus, with the flow slowly moving thru the SS hose I've never had it freeze up either.

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
It works just make sure your length isnt long and its not uphill. Mine is and looking to add a pump inline.

Its supposed to pump up hill, and mine does. .... After cleaning the black tank at our camp site, we add 4 to 5 gal hot water and a cap full of laundry detergent, ... it sloshes on our way home and does a great job of additional cleaning. For several years, I would pull into our front yard to dump that into our septic tank clean-out, ... the closest I could get to the clean-out was 40ft and it was 2 ft elevated from where the trailer was sitting, ... Never had a problem, always worked like a charm, ... I think the Sewer Solution claim is something like 60 ft and 3 ft high, but I know for sure it does 40ft and 2 ft high, ...

Old 02-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Its supposed to pump up hill, and mine does. .... After cleaning the black tank at our camp site, we add 4 to 5 gal hot water and a cap full of laundry detergent, ... it sloshes on our way home and does a great job of additional cleaning. For several years, I would pull into our front yard to dump that into our septic tank clean-out, ... the closest I could get to the clean-out was 40ft and it was 2 ft elevated from where the trailer was sitting, ... Never had a problem, always worked like a charm, ... I think the Sewer Solution claim is something like 60 ft and 3 ft high, but I know for sure it does 40ft and 2 ft high, ...
When it gets warmer ill give it a shot again.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
When it gets warmer ill give it a shot again.
be sure the water jet is positioned where it is shooting directly into the hose

Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

What sort of hose are you using for these 40' and longer extensions to the yard sewer port? 3/4" hose or 1". I seem to recall they said 1" in the manual but 3/4" garden hose is a lot easier to move and store (and connect 2 shorter pieces to make even more manageable). I seem to recall seeing a post in one RV forum (not sure which one) where someone used the thin white PVC plumbing pipe that had a fitting on each end and just shoved one section into the fitting of the next with no clamps or anything to keep it together other than friction. I would be Leary of that.

I picked up a SS years ago for about 1/2 price but shortly after sold the trailer. We just got back into trailering and I ran across the unopened package in the basement the other day and this would be great to dump and clean out the tanks at home. But our septic port is about 60' away from where the TT dump ports would be as it's on the wrong side of the TT in the driveway. It is a flat run for me though which is why I was thinking the 3/4" converted garden hose (clearly marked as a "black" hose) would work with the SS.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #10

with my SS, I bought an extra 10' hose, ... so for my 40' run to the septic tank clean-out, I use both of those, plus two 10' lengths of 3/4" pvc pipe(much cheaper than SS hose) each with a coupling on one end, ... all connections are just friction, works great, ... I found that the end of the SS hose with the metal piece pressed into it, when the metal tube is removed that end is swelled enough that it makes a good friction fit into a 3/4" pvc coupling, ... with our trailer I carry the two hoses, plus 10' of 3/4" pvc, cut into lengths of (1) 5' and (2) 2.5', ... if we ever need more than 30' at a camp site, I'll just make a trip to the nearest Lowes, ...

Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #11

I bought a 75' 3/4" garden hose and cut about 12' off. I use the 60+ foot piece at home for dumping and the 12ish foot piece at campgrounds.
The 3/4" garden hose fits nice and snug on the SS. Probably don't even need a hose clamp but I use one anyway.

Mikeschultz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
Retired Old Fart

Hmmmm, I think I found the same type of hose SS uses in bulk by the foot. It shows a 1" ID "Tigerflex K Series" hose is $1.44 a foot. That would meet their recommendation of a 1" ID hose/pipe for up to 100' on flat ground.

It would probably be cheaper to go with the 3/4" garden hose though.

https://processhose.com/1-in-i-d-tig...saAmAHEALw_wcB

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

I have an Sewer Solution that I bought probably 15+ years ago from the original inventor.

Bought it when we had our Airstream because the dump outlet was very close to the ground and the regular stinky slinky wouldn't always work. It has been used on several RV's since then, and is still being used on my current 2016 Coachmen Concord. At home I use PVC pipe to extend my range from where the RV is parked to the sewer clean out. I have to run about 35' with a 30" rise, handles it with no problems. Only "issues" that I have seen are that it requires a source of water and it is a bit slower than the dump and run using the stinky slinky. I still carry the slinky just in case. Only way I can see to beat the Sewer Solution would be to have an on board electric maceration pump.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote