Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Bakker View Post
Yep, that's exactly the same unit as I had explode on me. When it comes time to change the filter, you might want to consider removing the entire unit and installing a much cheaper but equally effective Camco filter outside the RV.
I have never had a filter in it. It has been off and on several times when winterizing. So not sure if not having a filter in it has made a difference or I'm just lucky so far.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #42

Clarify failure

Hi all,

Well, my FR1/KW1 filter broke today.

I was sanitizing the fresh water tank, and installed the canister without the filter installed to add some bleach as shown in a YouTube video. So, I likely over-tightened as has been described before in other threads.

What I am not clear about is what has failed. Some have said there are locking tabs that have been sheared off.

Are these tabs on the FR1 canister itself, or the canister receiver mounted on the RV? If I just want to fix it as-is (as opposed to removing the filter unit), can I just buy a new FR1 canister from WaterPur?

Also, as this is my first post, let me say thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for all the other things I've learned so far from this forum in my four as a newbie RV owner.

Take care,
Drew
DrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #43

WaterPur Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG View Post
Are these tabs on the FR1 canister itself, or the canister receiver mounted on the RV? If I just want to fix it as-is (as opposed to removing the filter unit), can I just buy a new FR1 canister from WaterPur?
Yes, you can buy a new canister from WaterPur. The problem begins when your canister explodes and you need a new one quickly. WaterPur is the ONLY supplier of this particular part, which means you will not get a replacement quickly. (I asked for express shipping and was quoted a price of $90 -- and that was for shipping ONLY, not the parts!)

Forest River dealers do not carry these parts in their parts departments. (Believe me, I made a LOT of phone calls and found none!)

Camco filter systems can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Camping World and virtually every RV dealer around, for a fraction of the cost.
Theresa Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #44
Hef

Pic of the modification

Our filter has been leaking on our 2016 Flagstaff 831 BHDS so I want to take it completely off too. Does anyone have pictures of the modification they did? These filters suck and I am not going to let it destroy our floor.

Thanks
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #45
Hef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtex View Post
I have had the Rockwood A127TH for about 14 months. Took it out last week the Water-Pur filter housing broke in to two pieces flooding the camper. Today, I called the Water-Pur company and complained the filter housing defective. I knew it was out of warranty and only wanted to express the unit was defective. The "customer service" person told me that was due to trapped water in the threads. I explained my camper had been in storage and the filter housing did not have any water. All she would offer was to sell a $30 replacement. I declined. She hung up on me.

I called back and asked to speak to her supervisor. She called to to her supervisor and mockingly informed him I wanted to speak to him. I explained the circumstances and he blamed it on freezing conditions. I live in South Texas and we don't have frequent freezes or severe freezes. He told me the housing is labeled with a warning about freezing. I told him that no such label is on the housing, plus there is no mention of any warnings concerning freezing in the Water-Pur section of the Rockwood owner's manual.

Bottom line he claimed I was at fault and not the product.

I called Forest River and informed them of the defective filter housing and the crappy service from Water-Pur.

I'm going to eliminate this filter and connect the two water hoses with coupler.

I want to do the same modification. Do you have any pictures?
Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #46

Hef, try doing a search of posts I've (dmtex) made in the A Frame forum. Find the Water-Pur thread. You'll find photos of my modication and texts what others have done.
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #47

I removed mine and mounted it on the bumper, store it in the cargo compartment when traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0076 (1).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	114975  
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
I have never had a filter in it. It has been off and on several times when winterizing. So not sure if not having a filter in it has made a difference or I'm just lucky so far.
If your filter is located in the basement behind the City Water inlet, like on a Rockwood the sister trailer I can take pictures for you there are some lines that have to be reconnected, let me know and I will be glad to post them for you.... PS: filter element has nothing to do with it on a Rockwood it's the canister that is the problem and where it's at...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #49
Hef

Thanks Witch Doctor. Starting Monday we will be camping for 9 nights. I will take some pics of the set up to see if my set is the same.

Thanks

Darren
Old 09-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #50

Hi All - i have a Rockwood 122BH A frame camper.Had it since new - 3 yrs ago.This week went away for a three day getaway arrived at site and filled up at the potable water station, found my site and set everything up. Came back from a 10 minute walk around the park only to find my Water Pur filter housing had cracked and broke in two pieces just below the o ring and subsequently flooded my trailer with the whole contents of my water tank. Not a happy camper! This has nothing to do with water freezing in the threads or any other bs story customer service throw at you it is just an jnferior product plain and simple. I live in Ontario and theres no way i am paying $30 US ($55 canadian) plus shipping. Just going to take the filter out of the system - seeing i dont even drink the water anyway. Heres my quick fix for this issue http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=117740
Fueler67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water