Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #1

Water-Pur

I have had the Rockwood A127TH for about 14 months. Took it out last week the Water-Pur filter housing broke in to two pieces flooding the camper. Today, I called the Water-Pur company and complained the filter housing defective. I knew it was out of warranty and only wanted to express the unit was defective. The "customer service" person told me that was due to trapped water in the threads. I explained my camper had been in storage and the filter housing did not have any water. All she would offer was to sell a $30 replacement. I declined. She hung up on me.

I called back and asked to speak to her supervisor. She called to to her supervisor and mockingly informed him I wanted to speak to him. I explained the circumstances and he blamed it on freezing conditions. I live in South Texas and we don't have frequent freezes or severe freezes. He told me the housing is labeled with a warning about freezing. I told him that no such label is on the housing, plus there is no mention of any warnings concerning freezing in the Water-Pur section of the Rockwood owner's manual.

Bottom line he claimed I was at fault and not the product.

I called Forest River and informed them of the defective filter housing and the crappy service from Water-Pur.

I'm going to eliminate this filter and connect the two water hoses with coupler.
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #2

Today I completely removed the filter fixture after disconnecting the inlet and outlet hoses. I joined the two hoses with a 1/2" x 6" SCH80 PVC nipple purchased from Ace Hardware, $1.49. No installation issues. I'll connect a filter outside between the water source and the camper.

I also spoke with another Forest River rep about my experience with Water-Pur. I believe Water-Pur will be hearing from Forest River.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
PPST OGCDG

Where on the filter housing did it break. Mine broke into two pieces. It left the treaded ring on the upper housing and the bottom half fell off. No water was left in the housing
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtex View Post
Today I completely removed the filter fixture after disconnecting the inlet and outlet hoses. I joined the two hoses with a 1/2" x 6" SCH80 PVC nipple purchased from Ace Hardware, $1.49. No installation issues. I'll connect a filter outside between the water source and the camper.

I also spoke with another Forest River rep about my experience with Water-Pur. I believe Water-Pur will be hearing from Forest River.
I took mine out by choice, gave me low water pressure and a pain to change the filter and expensive to replace them also. We don't drink the water so we just use a Camco to keep garbage out of the system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
I have had the Rockwood A127TH for about 14 months. Took it out last week the Water-Pur filter housing broke in to two pieces flooding the camper. Today, I called the Water-Pur company and complained the filter housing defective. I knew it was out of warranty and only wanted to express the unit was defective. The "customer service" person told me that was due to trapped water in the threads. I explained my camper had been in storage and the filter housing did not have any water. All she would offer was to sell a $30 replacement. I declined. She hung up on me.

I called back and asked to speak to her supervisor. She called to to her supervisor and mockingly informed him I wanted to speak to him. I explained the circumstances and he blamed it on freezing conditions. I live in South Texas and we don't have frequent freezes or severe freezes. He told me the housing is labeled with a warning about freezing. I told him that no such label is on the housing, plus there is no mention of any warnings concerning freezing in the Water-Pur section of the Rockwood owner's manual.

Bottom line he claimed I was at fault and not the product.

I called Forest River and informed them of the defective filter housing and the crappy service from Water-Pur.

I'm going to eliminate this filter and connect the two water hoses with coupler.
Quote:

Besides difficult access, another problem I find with the water filter housing is a lack of additional support. For example, ours hangs in mid air and surly when the trailer is in tow, it is vibrating and/or bouncing around – especially on the rough roads. It looks like they would secure the canister with a quick release band clamp.

Your mentioning of Water Pur blaming the weather, reminded me of a case I was involved in where a pigeon flew into an exhaust fume hood on top of a flat asphalt roof with embedded gravel of a laboratory testing building to seek refuge from a storm. The next morning when the engineering laboratory technician turned the fume hood to “on” and unaware that the bird was trapped inside, the fume hood got damaged – replacement cost was $7500 plus installation. Risk Management denied claim payment – alleging pigeons were roosting.

I contacted the state’s climatologist for the weather report and contacted the states wildlife biologist for a report on the habit of pigeons (knowing a pigeon would not choose that type roof to roost). I then wrote a letter to Risk Management with the attached reports demanding they make payment or I would see them in court. Upon receipt of my demand letter, they called me stating “the check is in the mail.”

People are always looking for an excuse to NOT do the honorable. They read the word “pigeon” and immediately went to the rule book searching for an excuse to avoid payment and never used commonsense. When people just don’t want to do the right thing, sometimes they need a little persuasion!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Mine broke into two pieces, exactly like yours.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Canadian Member

What model number do you have? I understand that there is more than one model being used by Forest River.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

I use model CCI-5CLW12. There is another model, CCI-10CLW12.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Canadian Member

They are the same style as my CCI-10-CLW. I thought the breaking units were the new FR1 model with the notches. So far mine has been fine.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Just had the same problem with mine. After a phone call to water pur and them wanting to charge me $90 to ship me a new one, I went to Camping World and bought a brand new filter system for $39 and replaced the whole unit. Took me 20 minutes.

Water pur SUCKS!
RobRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #11

Ours broke as well this year, CCI-10-CLW. Online prices are ridiculously high, so we went with a recommendation from the dealer at $20 instead. They then decided to charge us $96.75 for installation! This is something you can change yourself. Don't get tricked like we did.
tsh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsh2000 View Post
Ours broke as well this year, CCI-10-CLW. Online prices are ridiculously high, so we went with a recommendation from the dealer at $20 instead. They then decided to charge us $96.75 for installation! This is something you can change yourself. Don't get tricked like we did.

Sorry to hear this. Im sure the flat rate book say's it takes an hr. As I stated, it took me 20 minutes to change mine out. Best $40 I ever spent. now I cna get replacement filter wherever I want as well.
RobRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Our brand-
scencak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #14

I removed our filter two days ago the day we bought our camper after all the horror stories I didn't want to flood ours.
emt676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #15

Ours broke too. I'm in Northern Michigan and was told by camping world that water can get trapped in the threads and freeze. They said they sell LOTS of canisters. I blew mine out with air then soaked it with RV antifreeze just in case per CW recommendation. I will check this year for cracks before firing up the system. If it cracks again I will change to an outside filter.
2021 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #16

I was winterizing this Monday, before the polar vortex attacks on Friday, and happened to notice a few water drops on my filter canister. It wouldn't tighten any more at all. With flashlight, I noticed a couple of tiny cracks in the thread section of the canister. I cut the 1/2 inch PEX pipe at the inlet and outlet., removed the 4 screws that hung the filter and stored it all in the garage. Replaced filter with two 1/2 inch SharkBite compression fittings and a short piece of cpvc. Then winterized with RV antifreeze. Now I don't have to worry about the filter turning my front storage compartment of my 2109S Rockwood into a cold water spa when I least expect it. We already filter any water we use with an exterior hose filter before it gets into the RV.
clm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #17

I had to take mine out of my 2014 Flagstaff before our first trip. Would not stay screwed on.
Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
WFD

The horror stories are a plenty on these filters... I removed ours as soon as we got it home before we ever put water through it. Now we use an external filter...and the advantage to that is that when we are at home between trips, the filter can be kept in a fridge rather than in the trailer in 90 plus temps while it's not being used, growing who knows what in that warm filter.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #19

Not sure why they install these cheap filters in the first place...they are often located in remote places where small leaks are not detected at an early stage. I removed mine the first week. As someone else mentioned, I just bought a 5" piece of 1/2" plastic pipe from the hardware store as a replacement and now have no worries. Use CAMCO filter outside to keep crud out of the pipes, and only drink bottled water.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Canadian Member

To be more accurate, it's not the filter but the filter housing that people are complaining about. You can go with those external torpedo style filters but the openings in those filters are not nearly as fine as the stock filter so they are much less effective at the purpose for which they are designed. If you trust the water source you're using, go for it, but if you want something more effective for it's purpose then consider switching to an aftermarket housing and a similar micron filter. Mount it on the exterior of your trailer if you aren't comfortable with it inside.

Tags
water