Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

WiFi Camp-Pro

This is a kit that I got from Rokland.com for $100. This is a WiFi booster that quite simply is great. What comes in this kit for the price is almost half what it would cost if purchased separately. It comes with absolutely everything you will need for the install. Booster tube antenna, router, USB cable, 110 and 12v adapters, waterproof tape and even cable ties.
There are quite a few WiFi boosters out there that market the RV crowd that are in the $400 range. Way to much in my eyes.
I have used this for over a month now and have had great results. What I love about it is that you can access the router administration page wirelessly from your phone or tablet, no laptop necessary. I have had to reboot the router to regain connection several times but nothing unusual. Super easy to setup and I have had 5 devices connected at once and no problems. This is a fantastic kit for the price.
I bought it here:
Alfa WiFi Camp Pro -- long range Wi-Fi repeater kit -- R36/Tube-(U)N/A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463168809304.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	107773   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463168831747.jpg
Views:	1915
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	107774   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463168851082.jpg
Views:	1511
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	107775   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463168865801.jpg
Views:	1808
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	107776  
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

did you install it on your air conditioner?
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

I have a Forester GTS 2801QSF with no ladder or batwing antenna. So I needed to get creative and I also did not want to raise the total height of rig.
I mounted it horizontally (not optimal) on the the rear vent cover. I could of used the vent cover or AC shroud to mount it vertically but that would add an extra foot to my rigs height. I get great distance and haven't noticed any reception problems.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

I liked the thought of the a/c shroud....I have been thinking of doing this mod for awhile now and I read somewhere that it shouldn't be near the metal ladder...a/c shroud would be pretty slick.

hmmmmm
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

What exactly did it do for you in real world terms.
Connect to the weak campground wifi?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Yes this will reach out and pick up weak signals. . Your phone or tablet is for example .02 watts WiFi antenna and has a hard time reaching those weak WiFi signals. . This booster is 2 watts with a 9db gain antenna and pulls in those weak distant signals. It then is attached to a repeater/router in your rig that allows multiple devices to connect to the strong signal. It boosts the signal it does not make crummy WiFi speed any better. WiFi speed is determined by the access point and you have no control over that.
But in real terms, near my home I see two networks on my phone or tablet, The Camp pro sees 27 networks.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #7

What is required when you go to different campgrounds? Do you just login to their internet? The wife is really interested in this.
wooby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

Yes you go to your router administration page via your phone or tablet. . Click scan to find campground network. . Click connect and your done. .
When you first set up your router you will give it your own network name and password. . Once that's done your devices always look for your router network not the campgrounds. . Only your router connects to the campground network. Your devices connect to your router which is connected to the campground network
Old 05-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I bought this wifi boots years ago and it works great.... only $35.

Amazon.com: Alfa Network 1000mW High Power Wireless G 802.11g Wi-Fi USB Adapter with 5dBi Antenna AWUS036H: Computers & Accessories

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #10

That's an indoor antenna from same company. . You can also attach the R36 alpha router to that antenna for multiple device access
Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Senior Member - Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Yes you go to your router administration page via your phone or tablet. . Click scan to find campground network. . Click connect and your done. .
When you first set up your router you will give it your own network name and password. . Once that's done your devices always look for your router network not the campgrounds. . Only your router connects to the campground network. Your devices connect to your router which is connected to the campground network

Most of the campgrounds we use require you to acknowledge their "terms/conditions of use" as part of the acquisition/logon for their WIFI. Does you set-up enable this?
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
yeah... I just stick in in the window and it works great. I do not think I want to hard mount an antenna for wifi... use another electrical outlet.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Quote:
This is a kit that I got from Rokland.com for $100. This is a WiFi booster that quite simply is great. What comes in this kit for the price is almost half what it would cost if purchased separately. It comes with absolutely everything you will need for the install. Booster tube antenna, router, USB cable, 110 and 12v adapters, waterproof tape and even cable ties.
There are quite a few WiFi boosters out there that market the RV crowd that are in the $400 range. Way to much in my eyes.
I have used this for over a month now and have had great results. What I love about it is that you can access the router administration page wirelessly from your phone or tablet, no laptop necessary. I have had to reboot the router to regain connection several times but nothing unusual. Super easy to setup and I have had 5 devices connected at once and no problems. This is a fantastic kit for the price.
I bought it here:
Alfa WiFi Camp Pro -- long range Wi-Fi repeater kit -- R36/Tube-(U)N/A
I too am looking at the same unit... Just want to confirm that you are still happy with the set up. I agree it can't speed up slow connections, but at least you can access what's available.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #14

It still works flawlessly I love it price now is around $150
Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
It still works flawlessly I love it price now is around $150
Thanks for the quick response... with yours and other reviews I've seen, I will be ordering one soon... The price isn't that big of an issue... I look at it as a $150 investment to stay connected to the outside world while clamping... Well worth it if it works as reported.

Thanks again.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #16

Alfa Camp-pro Wifi Extender

Quote:
I am leaning towards buying one. Two questions - 1) some hotspots require you to enter a password (like McDonalds, Starbucks etc). Can you do this through an iPhone or iPad, without a PC? 2) what is approximate supplied cable length? I need about 50' between the antenna and router.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

George, Vancouver BC
gchliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #17

I just used last week... trial setup (I want to permanently attached the antenna to the batwing TV antenna, and run the wire through the fridge vent inot the trailer.) I taped the antenna to the awning arm, and put the brains of the system on my outdoor table. I can say, this unit works as advertised. Without it, I saw one WIFI signal, with it I was able to see 15 different signals. I still need to learn a bit more about the system, but I was impressed as to how well it worked.

You do need to remember one thing... this unit, nor any wifi extender, will make a slow signal any faster... you are at the mercy of the wifi you are connected to. this will connect to distant WIFI signals, but will only communicate at the speed that the WIFI you're connected to can handle.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchliu View Post
I am leaning towards buying one. Two questions - 1) some hotspots require you to enter a password (like McDonalds, Starbucks etc). Can you do this through an iPhone or iPad, without a PC? 2) what is approximate supplied cable length? I need about 50' between the antenna and router.

George, Vancouver BC
Hi George
Yes you can enter a password for any wifi your connecting to. I set mine up through my android tablet or android phone everytime. I do not use a pc. As for Apple phones or iPads I have no first hand knowledge of how they work with the unit. As for the antenna. The antenna comes with only 26 feet of cable. I don't know if you can add an extension without causing problems. I would call Rokland Technology they should be able to help. Their number is 352-372-9902. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchliu View Post
Can you do this through an iPhone or iPad, without a PC?

George, Vancouver BC
Yes you can... I've never connected mine to a PC, I've only used my IPhone.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #20

Looking to save some money. The Rokland Store has it for 125 and free shipping.
https://store.rokland.com/products/a...409-tf-antenna
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote