Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #21

With that Yamaha generator you may want to get one of these. Sure makes oil change easy (no mess) and easy to read the oil level.
http://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-EF2000i...PCX893QRH2M0FC
Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
With that Yamaha generator you may want to get one of these. Sure makes oil change easy (no mess) and easy to read the oil level.
Robot Check
Ouch!!! And I would need two. Plus the funnel.

I am sure after the first oil change I will be on Amazon!!!
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #23

I set the generators on the tailgate of my truck to do the oil change. If you do that it should be easy to wipe up the oil that will spill. Just a good height for cleanup. No bending over required. I would think Yamaha would make a plastic / cheap drain stem and send them with it. The ones on Amazon are quality stuff.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #24

To the OP you must read the disclaimer tab on Progressive Ind. website. I don't know if yamaha's 2nd version is safer for the EMS or not. I'm also not sure if you have V1 or V2.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
To the OP you must read the disclaimer tab on Progressive Ind. website. I don't know if yamaha's 2nd version is safer for the EMS or not. I'm also not sure if you have V1 or V2.
Interesting. In all my communications with PI, never once was it mentioned. Even when asking specific questions about their RV Generator Plug. Thanks for the heads up. I will contact Yamaha and see what they say.

I do have the V2 models.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post

I got about a 2 ft length of vinyl tube 1 1/4" OD 1" ID from Home Depot for the oil changes. Fits perfectly over the oil drain plug and into either a empty gal water jug or into quart oil bottle. Can't remember what I paid but couldn't have been more that a dollar or so. Have spilled a drop since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1454959808788.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	99201

Quote:
Energy Management System or Surge Protection

I think the site can explain all the features faster and better, but in a nut shell, you can not trust the power coming into your RV to be safe for your appliances\equipment. Severe damage or outright destruction can occur if the pedestal you are hooking up to is faulty. A Progressive Industries EMS is cheap insurance and has a lifetime warranty. And, should anything fail, it is modular in design so you only have to replace the protective component inside the box. No hassles of uninstalling the unit and\or sending it back to the manufacturer for warranty work.

https://youtu.be/q42gHfPNg-k
Quote:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
So, I tried to talk to Yamaha directly and they said all their engineers are back in China. They suggested I talk to a tech at the local dealer. No one is open on Mondays so I will try tomorrow.

I did contact Progressive Industries and they said flat out, "The EF2000is does NOT put out a sine wave signal under load." Now THAT is rather disturbing.

Progressive Industries suggested I either exchange the hard wired unit for portable unit or put pigtails on my hard wired unit so that it can be taken out of the circuit when using the generator(s). The bypass feature works on everything BUT surge, and that is what causes the damage to the PI unit.

I will not be using the generators often and I really do not want to ship it back or use the portable unit, so I will probably just put pigtails on my hardwired unit.

I will provide an update once I have sorted this out with Yamaha. If what Progressive Industries says is true, Yamaha has a lot of answering to do.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #28
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
When you get old, you'll know!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
When you get old, you'll know!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
UPDATE: All I got was the runaround from the Corporate office. I called the local dealer and the service manager all but admitted that the EF2000is is not what they advertise.

So, the moral of the story, do not run any of your electronics or AV equipment on this generator or buy a Honda.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #30

I have two of the Yamaha 2000 gens too and I spoke with Progressive and he said in all the years (30) he's 'primarily' seen voltage induced into lines in just a couple of ways and this is usually the danger.

For example:
1. lightening strike hits the wire.
2. hooked to a commercial line that has a piece of equipment like a well pump that shuts off then there's a surge.

Hooked to a couple little generators you will not see large spikes like you would if connected to a commercial line and something like the above happens.

In my case the ems is not built in so he said just don't use it when running the gens. He said pretty safe running on gens without it. I'm sure there's more to it and edge cases who will differ but at this point I'm taking what Progressive said as gospel because it is the only comfort I get at this point. If I'd known this upfront I would have gone with the Hondas.
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
I have two of the Yamaha 2000 gens too and I spoke with Progressive and he said in all the years (30) he's 'primarily' seen voltage induced into lines in just a couple of ways and this is usually the danger.

For example:
1. lightening strike hits the wire.
2. hooked to a commercial line that has a piece of equipment like a well pump that shuts off then there's a surge.

Hooked to a couple little generators you will not see large spikes like you would if connected to a commercial line and something like the above happens.

In my case the ems is not built in so he said just don't use it when running the gens. He said pretty safe running on gens without it. I'm sure there's more to it and edge cases who will differ but at this point I'm taking what Progressive said as gospel because it is the only comfort I get at this point. If I'd known this upfront I would have gone with the Hondas.
Agreed.

Just surprised its just the Yamaha EF2000is generators.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #32

I just installed hour meters on my two new Yamaha generators. I did not go with the hour/tech because of the cost and I only wanted to check the hours for maintenance. I got the meters from EBAY for 43.00 total and they are the color of the blue case. As has been said before getting your fingers in there to install the induction pickup wire is not real easy.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator