Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Backpack 6601 question:

Hello, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a question for me. I'd like an actual measurement for the cab over bed length on the 2014, 2015, and 2016 6601? I've seen it listed as 74" and 80" for all three years. I'm getting ready to start the process of looking at a few. Unfortunately, none are close by and the dealers don't seem to want to actually take a tape measure and check, they just want to read the spec from the book. I'm 6'5, so it is an issue for me. Thanks.

Mike.
Mike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately, there not many members here with truck campers.
Palomino is the only brand, in the FR family that makes truck campers.
So not sure how soon you'll get any responses.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

I just measured mine the other day because I don't fit it and I was going to replace it with a memory foam. I have a 2014. It's listed at 80 measures out at 75. That's why it doesn't fit me.
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiekaw View Post
I just measured mine the other day because I don't fit it and I was going to replace it with a memory foam. I have a 2014. It's listed at 80 measures out at 75. That's why it doesn't fit me.
After multiple unreturned calls to Palomino, I called and got someone on the phone about this. I was told 2015 and older will have a 74" bed length and the 2016 will have a 80". Then this weekend I went and looked at a 2015 and the bed was 80".

But I was also told the little "cabinet" that is the reason for the shorter bed should be easy to remove and install a larger 80" mattress in a camper that came with the 74" mattress.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #5

Did they tell you how to remove it? I was at the factory asking about that cabinet and I was told it was needed for structural integrity of the cab over. I would love to remove it and put in an 80" mattress.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Did they tell you how to remove it? I was at the factory asking about that cabinet and I was told it was needed for structural integrity of the cab over. I would love to remove it and put in an 80" mattress.
No, they didn't. I believe the guy I talked to was Adam. He didn't sound 100% familiar with the product either. He did say there could be some 12 volt wires for the lighting that may need to be moved in some way.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Thanks. I think I will do what I have been thinking about. Building storage under the bed that will raise the bed high enough to put an 80" mattress on top of the ledge.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks. I think I will do what I have been thinking about. Building storage under the bed that will raise the bed high enough to put an 80" mattress on top of the ledge.
I'm certainly not a truck camper engineer, but I'm highly doubtful the cabinet is structural. If it is, how did they do away with it for 2016? Why is it only on one side? I would poke around a bit and see what it looks like to remove it.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #9

I just got a message and a number to call from Forest River, so I will talk to them and see what they say. I too am skeptical that it is anything but a ledge for an alarm clock and a chase for wiring.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #10

I talked to Mike at Forest river and he told me how to remove the shelf. It is indeed a chase for wiring. I have removed it and I'm going to put a full size queen mattress in the cab over.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #11

New full size queen bed installed in my 2014 HS6601. Thanks for the guidance Mike of Palomino.