Old 03-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Battery and Battery Disconnect

Just bought a new HS 8801, when I got home the Battery Disconnect is not working. I also hate to say this but I cannot even fine the battery in the camper.
Any Help?

ssoucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #2

You look under the step to get up into the bed. If this is a in bed camper.

guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

I have a 6601 and I have to lift one cushion and remove a couple of screws to get to the battery, water tank and water pump. I would guess the 8801 would be similar.
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Are you sure the disconnect isn't working? If you are plugged into the truck or on shore power lights in the truck will work.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiekaw View Post
I have a 6601 and I have to lift one cushion and remove a couple of screws to get to the battery, water tank and water pump. I would guess the 8801 would be similar.
I went and checked. Exactly where it is, under the bench seat against the front wall of the unit (under a cushion) with all your electrical and FW tank and pump,
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

I did make sure I was not connected to external power, I will try in the morning to locate the battery and see if I can find the connection. Maybe it is not connected right.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

Good luck. I had trouble with mine after I had it a while but it was just a loose terminal on the disconnect.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #8

I have another question, when connected to shore power they say not use the electric jacks, they said it could damage the system.

Has anyone have any issues with this? Or is it ok to do so?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

They won't work if the disconnect is off but I'm not sure it would damage them. We've been at campgrounds and used them while on shore power
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoucy View Post
I have another question, when connected to shore power they say not use the electric jacks, they said it could damage the system.

Has anyone have any issues with this? Or is it ok to do so?
The reason for that warning is the current draw of the jack motors in operation is substantial. Consequently, you need to have your house battery fully charged when you operate them to offset the current draw. You should not operate the jacks with the house battery disconnected or discharged.

With the house battery discharged or disconnected, the entire load of the jack motor operation is placed on the converter and it could roast it. It's not designed to power the jacks and the current draw without the house battery in the circuit.

Furthermore, the WFCO inverter that FR installs in their units is, shall I say 'marginal in operation. It won't take a heavy current draw, just not that heavy duty. At some point in the future, you might want to replace it with a Progressive Dynamics inverter. Much better unit.

Nothing to be concerned about right away but something to consider as an upgrade.

All the units (hardside like you have and softside like I have) are sold with a single deep cycle house battery (mine came with a single Group 27). I upgraded to TWO house batteries, 2 Group 27's in parallel for the added amp hour capacity.

Because of the way I camp (with no hookups in the woods), my battery power is important. Though I carry a small inverter generator (Champion 2000 watt), I prefer running on battery power when I can for powering all my needs.

Because I run a PSW inverter all night to power my medical equipment, I need the battery reserve at night especially.

I'm considering switching from conventional batteries to Lithium Iron batteries. The battery weight is about 1/3 of conventional batteries, they are much more compact and deliver a continuous 12 volt discharge power until almost empty whereas a conventional battery can only be discharged to about 50% and then they loose their discharge voltage and my PSW inverter is dependent on 12 volt input to operate correctly.

Things to ponder down the road, but for now, you need a charged house battery in the circuit to operate the jacks, whether you are shore powered or not. because of the load imposed on the converter by the jack motors (amp draw) is too great for the converter to deliver.

SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect