Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #1

GMC 3500 and Palomino 8801

I have been TT camping for a couple of years now but for our upcoming Alaska trip we are considering a used Palomino 8801 truck camper. I am looking for some advice from some experienced truck campers here. I am towing with a GMC 3500 Duramax SB SRW & 3800lb payload. I measure the rear axle to be about 39" from the cab end of the bed. Specs for the 8801 place the center of gravity at 42" and 2430lb. (The camper I am looking at has a rear bumper which will move the COG back even farther.) How critical is it to use a TC with the COG in front of the rear axle? I don't know what a safe weight is for the front wheels but I am hoping the weight of the diesel works in my favor?
Anyone running a similar setup? Anyone have an opinion about how this setup might work out?
53kycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

With that truck should have zero issues - if your a little back heavy get som e airbag to level out but I doubt you will need them -- look at Torklift tiedowns by far the best and hidden when not in use

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2002 Chevy 1/2 ton Quadrasteer
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:14 AM   #3

The 8801 is rated for a 2500 truck long of SB. You should not have a problem. As stated you might want to add rear air bags.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

SRW F-350

Installed rear air bags prior to towing 16,000# 5er on our 2011 F-350 SRW 4x4. Now have Palomino 2902 and only need to run 30# air in air bags to keep unit level. With this amount of air the ride is comfortable and the body roll is noticeable only on severely "crowned' roads.

Your set up should be fine to handle your new TC. As previously mentioned, air bags would help you get back to level. I purchased Firestone air bags on E-bay for around $385 and installed them myself in about 2 1/2 hours. Biggest problem I encountered with the install was removing the "rusted on" rubber spring bumpers mounted where air bags needed to go. Your set up may be different and less troublesome.

Also we are thinking about returning to Alaska in 2017. Maybe we will share a cup of coffee while exploring this beautiful and wild country...

Good luck and safe travels.

Lakeside
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, palomino