Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #1

Me too

Only 1 thread in the truck camper section?
A few months back, I bought an older palomino pop up slide in so I dont have to tent camp when jeeping. It proved itself on the first outing at thanksgiving as it was pouring rain when we pulled in to the park and got to 26 degrees that night! That would have really sucked in a tent, especially with the wife and my 5 year old!
I will have to get some pics up of my "White Trash Waldorf" and the camping arrangement.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #2

Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Factory Representative

That's a good looking Palomino Bronco, looks like from the early to mid 80's. If you need any parts for it, let me know.
Palomino Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't have a truck camper but checked some out at the RV show last October and was surprised of what life would be inside. I really liked what I saw but the price tags were a killer.

Older models has a charm that many newer units today don't have.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

I had a "Idle Time" cabover camper in the early 70's. Paid $700 new. I used it more than any other camper I've had since. I can't believe todays prices.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

That looks nice!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Factory Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I had a "Idle Time" cabover camper in the early 70's. Paid $700 new. I used it more than any other camper I've had since. I can't believe todays prices.

If you, or anyone else is in the market for a new or used, or even reposessed truck camper, I can help you out, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

I really like my "ghetto camper". I believe it is an 85 model. I dont think the ac was hardly ever used, nor the stove. It was owned by a boy scout troop leader once he got too old to tent cam. It works great for us when we want to take the jeep somewhere. Spent a week in it last summer in hot springs and really enjoyed. I would love to have a toy hauler that I could put my jeep in, but then we are talking full custom and big$$.
I actually had a hard time finding one to fit my needs. I needed one that could work in a short bed truck so as not to have a huge hitch contraption added. Around here, these things are not all that common and the newer/ fancier ones are rather expensive for what I wanted. Palomino still sells an almost identical model, with the same floor plan and all, but modernized. Price starts around $9k though!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Factory Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
I really like my "ghetto camper". I believe it is an 85 model. I dont think the ac was hardly ever used, nor the stove. It was owned by a boy scout troop leader once he got too old to tent cam. It works great for us when we want to take the jeep somewhere. Spent a week in it last summer in hot springs and really enjoyed. I would love to have a toy hauler that I could put my jeep in, but then we are talking full custom and big$$.
I actually had a hard time finding one to fit my needs. I needed one that could work in a short bed truck so as not to have a huge hitch contraption added. Around here, these things are not all that common and the newer/ fancier ones are rather expensive for what I wanted. Palomino still sells an almost identical model, with the same floor plan and all, but modernized. Price starts around $9k though!
What model Palomino are you referring too? There might be something I can do for you
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #10

Oh, I am by. I means in the market for one.
Not sure what it is called now, but is basically identical to the bronco model I have, just "modern". I think that is the basic model and cheapest on the market unless you step down to the Capri cowboy campers. I believe it was $8k or may have been $8999.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #11

Campers are like boats, you can enjoy a john boat as much as a yacht, if it makes you happy and meets your needs.

I don't see anything ghetto about your camper, looks good in the picture.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Factory Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
Oh, I am by. I means in the market for one.
Not sure what it is called now, but is basically identical to the bronco model I have, just "modern". I think that is the basic model and cheapest on the market unless you step down to the Capri cowboy campers. I believe it was $8k or may have been $8999.

check out our website palominorv.com I think it's the Bronco 800 that you are probably wanting, but take a look and let me know what model you want a price quote on, and I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomino Pal View Post
check out our website palominorv.com I think it's the Bronco 800 that you are probably wanting, but take a look and let me know what model you want a price quote on, and I'll see what I can do.
That was supposed to read in no means in the market for one. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Campers are like boats, you can enjoy a john boat as much as a yacht, if it makes you happy and meets your needs.

I don't see anything ghetto about your camper, looks good in the picture.
We call it the white trash waldorf, and it is ghetto because it looks 25 years old- and is. It fits the bill perfectly for us though. There are a limited number of options when you need to also pull a trailer and have a short bed truck, and I dont think there are any that would work out better than this.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #15

It's not "what" you have but rather "how much you use and enjoy what you have". I got the most enjoyment and use out of a cabover camper I owned in the early seventies.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #16

There is no such thing as the perfect RV for all occasions, all are compromises in some form. My Palomino 1608 pop up on a 05 4WD Ford diesel gives us the freedom to travel on well maintained logging truck roads, but when the mountain or desert roads get gnarly, we go tent camping from our Jeep Wrangler. For snowbirding along the Colorado River we go in our 255 Forest River 5th wheel trailer. The most fun however, is mico weight camping with my mountain bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
wagonrd is offline   Reply With Quote