Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #11

Keep in mind the listed payload does not include any passengers. No fuel. No cargo. No hitch. No maps, phones anything since the truck came off the assembly line. Assume that is a load of #700 or more.

Trucks that are older sometimes did not include the spare tire, bed and tailgate! Those were considered options in the past.

You likely need a payload of more than #3000. Stuff you load in the camper adds up quickly. Batteries, water and propane was not included in factory numbers.

Diesel 3/4 ton trucks are not ok. Must be gas. Barely ok.

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Keep in mind the listed payload does not include any passengers. No fuel. No cargo. No hitch.
The OP is asking about a slide-in truck camper, not a trailer.
And a full tank of fuel IS accounted for in the payload capacity number.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #13

Thanks for your info on payload.

During my research of the definition of items included in payload no manufacturer was forthcoming in listing that definition anywhere. No SAE standard etc. They just made it up. There is no accepted standard.

In the past they did not include optional items like truck beds, tailgates, bumpers and spare tires.

I can assure you that fuel was not included on my 2016 Ram. I took mine when new to a Cat scale. If fuel was included, the DW and I weigh #800. Which we do not.

The only way to know for sure is a scale.

I was trying to be thorough. Most trucks have a receiver and a #20 hitch that goes in it. The point is everything counts.

I think Ford has a Slide in rating section in their towing manual. I thought Ram was the easiest to understand. They list payloads of hundreds of combinations. Ford and Chevrolet were not easy to understand.

I did not understand payload when I bought my set up. I do now.

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino, truck