Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Newbie here...

Hello all, we purchased a 550 and the Rieco roof lift failed the first trip out. Front Driver's side won't lift. I can't find a work around and of course that ended our 1st campout before it even got going. Worked fine numerous times in the driveway.

I am wondering now about the dependability of the roof lift, if it can be retrofitted to manual, and if there are inherent design flaws. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Downriver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

Doesn't the 550 have a manual lift?
GuppyWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
Doesn't the 550 have a manual lift?
nope, and thanks to the good folks at Reico I was able to figure it out
Old 04-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

What's the solution? I don't want one of I either can't use it or can't get the roof up/down when I'm boondocking!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

There is a little switch that you can pull out and bend to make contact. There is no way humanly possible to manually lift the roof without taking the camper apart
Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Downriver,

Google Rieco Titan Roof manual lift. There is a crude 12 page operator manual. One step, although clear as mud, talks about some sort of temporary drive shaft and a cordless drill.

That was a 2014 model instruction. The newer ones may be different.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

yeah there is a little flexible shaft thingy but there is no way to get to it at least on the driver front without taking the camper apart
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #8

Same roof issue - same camper

Downriver - can you share a bit more on the fix? We had the exact same thing happen last night after a good year of using without any issue. It was almost like the lift motor on the driver side (middle of camper) wasn't working and the other three lift mechanisms were so I had three of the four corners of the roof lifting but not the driver front.

As it had worked fine for the past year and then suddenly stopped yesterday, I am guessing an electrical issue. What was your problem and what/where is this switch you are referring to?

Thanks!
paul_anderson_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_anderson_ve View Post
Downriver - can you share a bit more on the fix? We had the exact same thing happen last night after a good year of using without any issue. It was almost like the lift motor on the driver side (middle of camper) wasn't working and the other three lift mechanisms were so I had three of the four corners of the roof lifting but not the driver front.

As it had worked fine for the past year and then suddenly stopped yesterday, I am guessing an electrical issue. What was your problem and what/where is this switch you are referring to?

Thanks!
I have not fixed it yet because I cannot pull and replace the switch, I can't reach it. The workaround that invariably works every time for me is to just loosen the two screws on the BOTTOM switch and adjust it up or down a bit, just move it a little, and it works every time...so far. I intend to have the dealer replace the switch at the end of the season. Thank you so much for responding, that is the same problem I have and at the same location. Please let me know if it works for you. Now, when I get home, I just fiddle with the switch before I even begin to lift it, saves the aggravation. Other problems are two defective window zippers.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #10

Thanks for the quick reply...are the switches located at the bottom of the lift mechanism (bottom of camper) or close to the camper roof?

There is a housing about eye level where the metal bar lifts out of to lift the roof. There is an opening on one side of this housing and I can feel some wires going up the inside and terminating at (what I thought) were the limiting screws. Are these the screws you mean?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_anderson_ve View Post
Thanks for the quick reply...are the switches located at the bottom of the lift mechanism (bottom of camper) or close to the camper roof?

There is a housing about eye level where the metal bar lifts out of to lift the roof. There is an opening on one side of this housing and I can feel some wires going up the inside and terminating at (what I thought) were the limiting screws. Are these the screws you mean?

Hope this isn't a double post. You are looking at the top switch. The bottom switch is behind the panel by the step up to the bed. Take the panel off, if you don't have a #1 square bit a small screwdriver works fine. You will see the switch in it's housing with two small screws. Loosen the small screws a bit, just enough so the switch slides in the housing, move it a little bit either way, and re-tighten. Works every time for me. I just put the panel back on with two screws and fiddle with that switc and it works every time. Reico suspects a bad switch, but there is not enough slack in the top wire for me to reach it and re-attach it . If you pull the switch out they are kind of tough to get back in so just loosen it, slide it up or down a bit, and retighten. use a small screwdriver. Please let me know if this works for you
Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Holy smokes - that did it. If you ever get up to Canada, I owe you a beer!! What exactly does moving the switch do and why do you have to do it each time?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

That is wonderful news....The top switch limits the roof rise and the bottom switch cuts out when the roof is lowered. According to Reico the bottom switch should have no effect on the rise, but clearly it does. Doug at Reico thinks the bottom switch may be defective. I don't know. I know I have zero confidence in my dealer who pretty much sent me home without a fix and I had to figure it out myself. We have some great micro brews here in Oregon.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #14

So we took it out for a drive and still worked so hopefully we won't have to adjust each time like you. Still struggling to understand how moving the limiting screws a fraction of an inch could have any impact...it is almost like moving them reset the switch or something like that but that makes no sense to me. I might try to contact Doug at Reico also so let him know of the same problem (same side too).

Agreed about Oregon beer...we spent a week in Bend last year and enjoyed that aspect immensely.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #15

It makes no sense to me either. I don't know that I have to adjust the switch each time, I just do it when I get home...it's a lot easier then than when setting up at camp with stuff in the way.

Doug is great and I very much hope you contact him

Happy camping, we love ours except for that bug

take care, Marc

Tags