Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Palomino HS-2902 likes dislikes

I just purchased a '16 2902 this past fall and have yet to use it. Was wondering if any other members had a 2902 and if they had any issues with the unit.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
I just purchased a '16 2902 this past fall and have yet to use it. Was wondering if any other members had a 2902 and if they had any issues with the unit.
You should encounter no issues. I own a SS1500 which is the soft side version and I've had no issues whatsoever in the last year of using it. I like it a lot. Fit and finish is good, actually excellent for the asking price and everything works as it should. I'm very pleased with mine. Lakeside has one like yours, he'll probably chime in at some point.

I did add a second battery to mine and a Xantrex PSW 200 watt inverter to power my medical equipment and I changed out all the exterior bulbs to LED's, your may already have those, not sure. I don't consider one house battery sufficient for boondocking and powering the inverter. I only use mine off road, never in a campground.

Overall, I'll give the line a 10. It's light years improved from the original Bronco line that Palomino marketed prior to being absorbed by FR.

Not very many TC owners on this site for some reason. Mostly other units.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Welcome ofish', I purchased a new 2016 in June of 16. 2902 just like yours. A few issues:

Kitchen sink is of stainless steel. Rusted to look kike a World War I battleship. Very discussing looking. Dealer replaced after two trips south of 250 miles roundtrip each trip. Dealer said it must have been a defect from the manufacture.

Sewer gate valve was not closing completely. Removing the sewer cap for the first empting of black tank was a real eye opener. Actually I stated that wrong, for if I had left my eyes open they would have been full of spraying sewer tank goo. As it was I only got wet from the top of my head to my belly button. For some reason, wife would not let me near her. Another 250 miles and the dealer fixed problem, SOMEWHAT!

The gate valve has NO adjustment capability like mine had on a previous Bighorn 5er I owned. According to dealer: cheap..cheap.. did I say cheaply made gate valves. Shame on you FR!. The only way to adjust cable on gate valve was to remove it and bend it to a shorter or longer position and re-install. It still leaks by somewhat, but no where as bad as before.

Easy problem to work with. All I do after emptying tanks is to open underbelly access door to gate valves and use a small screwdriver to push DOWN on the gate valve pin another 1/4". I do this to both valves. That action fixes the problem and you stay dry when hooking up your sewer hose.

Another issue I had was written about here on FRF. It concerned the Omni Directional antenna that would not work in my area. I installed a Wingate Batwing unit. Works perfectly. I spent $39,500 on a truck camper and the manufacturer was "kind" enough to install a junk piece of equipment on it. Really FR?

Otherwise I really like this camper and used it about 40 nights in 2016. We plan to go back to Alaska in 2017 for 5 1/2 months, so will have more tales to tell when that trip is over.

Good luck and enjoy your new TC.

Lakeside
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #4

HS-2902

Thank you for the reply Lakeside As I said, just purchased in Oct '16. Picked up in Nov '16 Too cold to go camping here in Saskatchewan. Have some warranty issues. Dealer had to order parts. Now it is almost 3 months later, phoned dealer re: warranty. Was to call back, never did. Dealer is 300 kms (186 miles) away from me. I am not impressed with dealer. What do you use for a truck. I have it on a '05 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 with air bags Seemed to handle weight ok on trip home in Nov, but it was dry. Didn't see that due to extra length and Landing Pad bumper i would need new frame hitch and extension to tow boat. Torklift products CDN prices were really eye opener. Trying to find best prices as I want to be safe towing.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

reply to message

Greetings ofish'

Your dealer sounds like he has more business than he can handle and he does not see every customer as important as the next. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

My truck is 2016 F-350 w/6.7 diesel. I installed Firestone air bags, Amazon about $385 and a Hellwig rear sway bar, Amazon about $280. No problem to install either, even for a poor wrench jockey.

I was getting a little rough ride when the TC was off the truck. Airbags made the difference and now the truck rides empty very close to the ride of an F-150. No problem with the weight of this TC on this truck. Rear bumper settled nicely down onto the factory overload spring helper when the TC is on the truck. I only run about 20# psi with TC on. 8 to 12 pounds more depending if I am towing small utility trailer or a big boat.

Yes, you will need a Super Truss Hitch Extension if you wish to tow when TC is on your truck. PRICE shock for sure, but they work great. Easy to put on and off as needed.

Hope all issues get settled soon for you with your new TC. Enjoy once old man winter leaves the north country.

Lakeside
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

Not following along on the rear hitch thing.

When I had my Lance in the truck (it has a bumper / step similar to your Max step), I just purchased a Class 5 receiver hitch extension, plugged that into the Class 5 receiver, installed a ball and pulled a 5 place snowmobile trailer with no issues at all. A 5 place V nose sled trailer isn't small or lightweight (with 5 sleds and gear inside, especially). I think the extension was 40 bucks at the farm store. Still hanging in the garage.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Not following along on the rear hitch thing.

When I had my Lance in the truck (it has a bumper / step similar to your Max step), I just purchased a Class 5 receiver hitch extension, plugged that into the Class 5 receiver, installed a ball and pulled a 5 place snowmobile trailer with no issues at all. A 5 place V nose sled trailer isn't small or lightweight (with 5 sleds and gear inside, especially). I think the extension was 40 bucks at the farm store. Still hanging in the garage.
Greetings Mr. Flip,

Simple explanation: With the bumper added to this #2902 camper and with it installed on a 6.75' truck bed, the very rear point of the TC bumper is behind the truck bumper by 36" to 42". Not possible to crawl under bottom of TC to hook up trailer touge to the truck receiver.

Google:

SuperHitch SuperTruss Truck Receiver Extension | Torklift International

and you will see a picture of the set up. It really works great with a two tube system along with anchor chains on the sides.

Lakeside
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #8

Hi Mr. Snow....

Your overhang is a bit more than my Lance was, it was 20" to the back of the TC built in bumper. I just used a Draw Tite Class 5 extension, 20" long with my drop ball at the end. Nothing fancy. I run the Ford Factory Class 5 frame hitch.

The stay chain setup is nice, could have built that for my single tube but no need now. The Palomino overhangs the bed 8' in the back about 12" but with no TC bumper, I can access the receiver (and use my ball mount) without any extension at all.

Watched the video's. Interesting but in my scenario not needed, at least now.

The only downside to my SS is, of course, no rear step and because the truck sits so high, ingress and egress of the camper can be interesting at times but the little ladder I carry serves that purpose well. Been toying with building a set of steps welded to the ball hitch but as of now, the ladder works fine.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

Re: Palomino 2902

Mr. lakeside Phoned dealer today. I picked up the camper on Nov 8th and they still had not ordered warranty parts as of today. Told him I was not impressed and if I didn't have parts by Feb 25th, when I will be at dealership, forest river was going to get an ear full. Promised to have parts by then. At $39,500.00 you must of got everything available for the 2902. The only major item I am missing is the 10' driver's side power awning. Mine is an early production '16 because the exterior doors look like a '15, don't have the fancy black locks and am missing the led lights under the slide and counter, but for $27000.00 CDN plus taxes (10%) I am not complaining. Are you in Canada or USA?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #10

Geeeeze, both you guys are way outta my league. I paid $14,000.00 USD for mine and I thought that was a lot.

My wallet depth isn't that great.... I am retired...lol

Interestingly, 14 is also what I paid for my Lance 915 Lite, back in 2001, so in retrospect I felt that 14 for a new (2014 TC) wasn't too bad and something I could afford with no payments.

Would have preferred no bathroom at all, the bathroom/shower is for the wife, not me. I can do with an outside shower and a roll of TP.

Of course I don't have a slide out and no lighted awning or under counter lights either... No ac either and manual jacks but my DeWalt cordless does a good job with the jacks...

Didn't see any need for ac (it's an option). The woods are always cool at night and night time is really the only time we occupy the camper anyway.

For me and the wife, it's a bed, a bathroom and a place to make dinner (if it isn't on a campfire).

Plus it's light enough and low enough that I can drive around in the woods and venture off road which was my intent when I bought it.

We have had no issues (like I said early on), nothing.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #11

I attempted to edit my post , but system would not allow me to do so. $38.5K not $39.5K. There, I feel much better correcting that travesty.

Also as far as problems, be sure to check the Allen screw tightness on your jack leg motors. There are two on each motor for a total of eight to check. Six of my eight needed to be snugged up. Two of that six were two full turns loose. I noticed because the motor was rotating on it's mount when in use.

Need to go push some snow around.

Lakeside
Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #12

Batteries

Hi Mr. lakeside When you got your '16 Palomino 2902 did it come with one or two batteries? I ask because I was told mine had two, but when I checked only found one installed and a small one at that. I am wondering if the unit was shipped from the factory with batteries or is dealer installed. If dealer installed, I am not too surprised as RV dealer has not impressed me at all. Not worth my time to bitch at a dealer 200 miles away. will just install two new bigger batteries. What do you recommend ? Deep cycle RV
Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #13

Mr. Lakeside and his significant other are on an extend 4 month trip with their TC but I'm familiar with his unit and yes, it came with only one battery from the dealer but he installed another (I think Group 27. I also believe his came with 2 battery boxes but only one battery.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #14

If your have the same size battery box that I 'had' in my 1500SS, it will barely fit a group 31. I took mine completely out and built a double battery box.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #15

Smile

Thank you for the reply SidecarFlip Yes I think the boxes will accommodate a # 27. Appears to be a #24 installed. Battery boxes are 13" L x 7"W. Not use whether to install 2 #27 or 1 more #24 Don't plan on boon docking this year.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 AM   #16

I found the plastic battery box supplied to be rather flimsy, that is the screw down lid really didn't seal properly and wasted space where it sat, so I removed it, cut the plastic vent off the top (so I could use the OEM venting arrangement) and built a double box out of 3/4" CDX plywood and used stick on weatherstrip to seal it tight.

Building it in the corner allowed me to use the 2 sides already there and I wound up with a double box in the same space as the single one I had. I run 2 Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries in series and that gives me plenty of amp hours for off power camping.

In your case no off shore power camping, one group 27 should suffice. My 'utility; space is pretty crowded anyway. In addition to my FW tank I have a remote switching inverter and the electric jack brain and all the electrical hook ups and converter. The Trojans are about the physical size of a 27 but taller.

Lakeside has a solar array on his roof and I believe the controller is in his utility space as well. I don't have a solar setup, I prefer to use a small Inverter genny. He's primarily 'boondocking' on his trip. They won't be back until September sometime. Nice to be retired. My wife and I may go with them next year. Lakeside and his wife wanted us to go this year but we had other obligations that kept us home.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #17

Greetings ofishbusiness,

My Palomino came with only one battery. Dealer offered to install another one for me for $200. I passed.

Lakeside
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #18

Greetings lakeside Your friend, SidecarFlip filled me in on your battery system. Thank you for replying to my post as I was told you are on a 4 month TC holiday. I have 3 more years to go before I could join you in that long adventure. Safe travels and have fun
Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Greetings lakeside Your friend, SidecarFlip filled me in on your battery system. Thank you for replying to my post as I was told you are on a 4 month TC holiday. I have 3 more years to go before I could join you in that long adventure. Safe travels and have fun
If you don't see Sidecarflip on the FR forum any more, just know that he got booted off. He is very strong willed and knowledgeable and he locked horns with the rules, I hear. FR just lost a very valuable poster.

Yes, we are on holiday in the Last Frontier. I fished and caught so many big salmon today my arms are aching. Save up your pennies and be sure to make this journey. You can always find excuses NOT to come to Alaska, but once you do come up here, you will certainly enjoy yourself.

My Palomino TC 2902 has done a great job for us. Just a few issues I was able to figure out with Sidecar's help.

I have a blog going with short stories and lots of pictures. It is mostly for family and friends, but if you are interested, send me (PM) your e-mail address and I will ad you to my blog list.

Later,

Lakeside
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
If you don't see Sidecarflip on the FR forum any more, just know that he got booted off. He is very strong willed and knowledgeable and he locked horns with the rules, I hear. FR just lost a very valuable poster.

Later,

Lakeside

Naahhh. Opinionated? Yes. Slightly arrogant? Maybe. Smart? Yes. Independent? Yes. Hateful? Nah...just used to being right.

I have seen more arrogant posters than him.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino