Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

SS-550 overall thoughts?

Looking to buy soon and had a few questions. I have a 2010 Tundra Crew cab. Comparing other company offerings the 550 seams like a well built camper at a very affordable price.
-Looking at the specs my truck should fit fine. How much of the camper will hang out the bed? I pull a boat.
-What effect did the camper have on mpg?
-Are there manual cranks for the roof and leg electric jacks if they fail?

Thanks for the help!
Schneidermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
Out and about

Started out with this camper on 1/2 ton with mods to suspension and was very comfortable with it but recently found a F250 that I just couldn't turn down.
& Dugger(2015)
Gabbi
BamaBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

Ben, I have already installed a rear sway bar which takes all the roll out of the truck taking fast turns or making quick corrections. My only thought is I may have to install airbags. Tundra has a 2,000 weight limit in the bed.

Any pointers or mods you would recommend? I know I'll be adding solar to it eventually. Porta potty work good stowed under the seat?
Schneidermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Out and about

check your PM's
& Dugger(2015)
Gabbi
Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

Of all the half ton trucks that I think would come close to handling a truck camper, the Tundra comes closer than any. Having said that, the 550 shows to have a dry weight of 1600 lbs. Do you know what the payload of your Tundra is? I was at the local Toyota dealership recently and looked at one, just because I was there with another vehicle and had nothing to do, and I recall the Tundra having a payload of 1850 lbs +/-.
By the time the Palomino is loaded, truck loaded, passengers loaded, and a boat trailer tongue weight added, I'm betting your truck will be well over its payload.
Can the Trunda handle it? Probably for short trips with significant modifications such as heavy shocks, sway bar, and overload springs or air bags. Would I attempt a long trip? probably not.
Will the dealer say it will work? Of course, they always do. Forgive me for sounding like the weight police,....I stay away from that roll, but by the time the Tundra is loaded for a trip, I'm betting that it will be well over the listed payload by hundreds of pounds.

But like ZZTop said; ".....I could be mistaken."

After the truck is loaded for a trip, stop by a scale. At least you will know what you have.

Have fun..
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
Out and about

Exactly what David said. Like I said I was comfortable with it on the F150 and would still be on there if not for the deal on the F250.
& Dugger(2015)
Gabbi
Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneidermj View Post
Looking to buy soon and had a few questions. I have a 2010 Tundra Crew cab. Comparing other company offerings the 550 seams like a well built camper at a very affordable price.
-Looking at the specs my truck should fit fine. How much of the camper will hang out the bed? I pull a boat.
-What effect did the camper have on mpg?
-Are there manual cranks for the roof and leg electric jacks if they fail?

Thanks for the help!
I've got the same truck. I already have airbags for my travel trailer. I also plan on buying a 550 so I can take the boat. Our bed is 5'8" to the tailgate and the 550 has a 7' floor so you'll have about a foot overhang. I have the TRD package but not the sway bar. I hear it's a noticeable improvement.

So all in all with airbags and a sway bar you'll only spend about $600 if you DYI. I'll also add a backup camera that I can plug into the existing system. Wiring harness is about $40 and an eBay camera for $20.

I'm not the weight popo either but I currently haul an 8,000lb tt with my Tundra with zero issues. Have fun!
GuppyWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #8

I put a 550 on a 1st Gen Tundra 4WD CC hauls real nice with hellwigs, ride rites, new Bilsteins all around and Toyo M-55 "E" tires. So Far so good.

HOWEVER. !st trip out the electric roof failed. Really bummed about that.
Downriver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

Yes there are manual crank options for both the jacks and the roof lift system.
RTPdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

not unless you're a long armed midget who carries around a power drill
Old 10-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downriver5 View Post
not unless you're a long armed midget who carries around a power drill
Interesting comment. My selling dealer (Outpost RV), supplied me with 2 hand cranks and 2 cordless drill adapters. My 18 volt Dewalt zips the camper up and down effortlessly, no need for the expensive electric jack option.

Most times. failure in the Rieco-Titan roof lift system is mis adjusted limit switches and you can find the 'how to set' them on the Rieco-Titan website.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Interesting comment. My selling dealer (Outpost RV), supplied me with 2 hand cranks and 2 cordless drill adapters. My 18 volt Dewalt zips the camper up and down effortlessly, no need for the expensive electric jack option.

Most times. failure in the Rieco-Titan roof lift system is mis adjusted limit switches and you can find the 'how to set' them on the Rieco-Titan website.
So then I take it you are not familiar with the system you are commenting about
Old 10-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm very familiar with it..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	123950  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #14

Additionally. if you go to the Rieco-Titam website and click on instructions for products, you can download a PDF file that explains in detail, how to adjust the limit switches on the electric roof mechanism.

I downloaded it and printed it and I keep a copy in the drawer in the camper.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm very familiar with it..............
What tool then would you recommend cranking the camper up in the event of a failure. I know how to adjust the limit switches.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #16

Quote:

Old 10-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #17

could you please post a photo of your hand crank
Old 10-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #18

Now that we have overcame the premise that I don't have one (which I do) and I'm not familiar with both the roof system and the jacks (which I am), I have to say the camper is well put together and I've had no issues with it whatsoever. All of my camping trips this past summer have been off road so I out the camper to the test every time I go camping.

I didn't opt for the electric jacks, I have the manual version but the camper is pre-wired for electric jacks and I may add them at a later date. MY cordless drill works just fine for raising and lowering the unit.

I did have one failure, that was the Fantastic Fan. The motor died and it's sealed so I called them (Atwood) and the sent me another motor, no charge and while I had it apart, I added a double pole, double throw rocker switch to reverse the air flow (9 bucks from Dell City Electronics).

Doing some upgrades too...
Added a Carefree Bag Awning to the factory installed awning channel
Replaced all the outside lights (brake, turn and markers) with LED bulbs
Adding 2 knee wall access doors so I can access the space between the camper and the truck bed for storage. Palomino supplied me with 2 cabinet doors plus cut to size sheets of the aluminum textured material they clad the lower section of the camper with.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the unit as well as Palomino.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
could you please post a photo of your hand crank
No can do. The camper is put away in the barn for the winter. Next time I'm out there, I'll get them out and take a picture.... but that won't be now.

If you go to their website (like I stated above) and to the instructions, there is a picture in that PDF.

Failure of the roof system to open or close properly lies in the limit switch settings and that is explained in detail in the PDF.

Not sure where you bought it at, but I'd be calling my dealer for assistance and / or Palomino.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

Quote:
No can do. The camper is put away in the barn for the winter. Next time I'm out there, I'll get them out and take a picture.... but that won't be now.

If you go to their website (like I stated above) and to the instructions, there is a picture in that PDF.

Failure of the roof system to open or close properly lies in the limit switch settings and that is explained in detail in the PDF.

Not sure where you bought it at, but I'd be calling my dealer for assistance and / or Palomino.
I have no problems with the jacks, never stated that

The problem is with the roof system

Rieco has excellent support.

They said they are "working on" a fix

Thanks for your response