Old 12-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Ss550 into garage on furniture dolly

I do not have access to ss550 to measure height when jacks are completely retracted. I know specs say camper is 72" with roof down. However, it does not appear that jacks allow camper to get all the way down to driveway surface. My garage door is 6' 10". Any dolly will need to be tall enough to allow jacks to be clear of pavement...that is why i am asking height of camper when jacks are completely retracted.

Truck with camper will not clear garage opening.

Papa Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

80"

My dealer called and reported height with jacks completely retracted is 80". So, should be good.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #3

Don't forget to add a/c if you get one. That's another 12".
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

Thank you. No a/c, but you caused me to think about the three roof vent covers. After i get camper, i will let forum know about getting it through garage opening.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

FWIW I use a small electric winch to pull my camper into the garage. It gives me much more control than doing it by hand.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #6

Good plan. If i have issues rolling by hand, i can look at winch or even some eye bolts and rope.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

I have a SS1500 and I'd say 80" is about right. No air for me either but I do have a wet bath with a dome so mine is about 88" but I give it 90. I have an 7 1/2 foot OHD so what I did was I bought a second hand single axle boat trailer from Craigslist with small wheels (12") and I set the camper on the trailer and put it in the garage using my quad (and my wife as guidance).

I use the camper tie down turnbuckles to attach the camper to the trailer too.

Works like a charm. In fact, I leave it on the trailer all winter and just lower the jacks to where they touch the floor. Reico-Titan sells a dolly but the trailer was hundreds cheaper.

On the trailer I can move the camper anywhere I want even in gravel or on grass.

You cannot retract the jacks to the point where the camper is on the ground, they won't retract that far. Besides I cannot, I have my black and grey tank drains underneath the camper at the drivers side rear corner.

I'm all about keeping it inside out of the elements, especially winter weather. It should stay as new for a long time that way.

SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote