Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Support off truck

Hi, how does everyone support their camper while off the truck? Does the steel brackets effect the way it is supported?
Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

Are you referring to landing gear legs "foot pads" , if not please explain which steel brackets you are talking about.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #3

Support off truck

Hi, I have 2015 HS6601. There are steel channels under the bottom that hold the camper off the bed of the truck about 3/4". For support off the truck do you have to support it on those or is it ok to put stands right on the floor like other campers?
Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp View Post
Hi, I have 2015 HS6601. There are steel channels under the bottom that hold the camper off the bed of the truck about 3/4". For support off the truck do you have to support it on those or is it ok to put stands right on the floor like other campers?
The last poster had no idea that you were referencing a TC.

You don't have to, thats optional. You can use jack stands and planks under the channels if you want to. I leave my unit stored inside on the attached jacks with the unit lowered as far as possible (without the sewer valves or rear bumper contacting the ground / floor.

One thing you should do every year that isn't mentioned in your owners manual, is check the tightness of the fasteners that secure the jacks to the camper body itself.

If you choose to use blocking and/or jackstands under the camper, I would only place the stands under the steel channels, not directly on the floor itself. The channels spread the load out.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #5

I agree with sidecarflip. I have a 2014 HS6601 and I just lower the jacks and there's enough clearance that the gray drain is off the ground. I also put patio blocks under the jacks because I'm on gravel.
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

I did / do find it interesting that you cannot retract the jacks far enough to get physical contact between the black / grey tank drains and the floor. All the way retracted, the jacks still keep the connections a few inches off the ground.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #7

The 6601 has a cassette toilet so no black drain. The gray drain only extends a couple of inches below the wing. It's not close to the slide on the jacks. I also have power jacks. I know you have manual jacks so the dimensions on the jacks may be different. Don't know what jacks tramp has on his 6601.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

Right on all counts. I believe the physical dimensions of the jacks are the same (I'm saving up my pennies for the electric heads, they are 1500 clams for 4 plus the transmitter box and remote... and... Hand cranking (while not hard using a drill adapter and my cordless DeWalt isn't bad) but the remote RT heads would be nice.

I looked at and passed on the cassette toilet but I believe my next one (if I ever get another one) will have it. Much less messy to deal with. No stinky slinky and dump anywhere a toilet is available.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #9

Definitely love the cassette over the black tank. Can dump at rest areas, pit toilets and at home.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #10

Looks like we are going to go to Alaska next summer (not this summer) with another couple that have a Palomino like yours. Planning on at least a 3 month trip. Should be fun.

4 old farts in 2 truck campers...lol

If I ever got another, I think I'd get a 4 wheel or a Northern Lite pop up. Like the 4 Wheel Campers a lot. Probably not in the cards though. This one should go until I quit camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0924.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	130186  
Old 02-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

My plan was to head to Alaska with mine last summer but my dad had/has some health issues so I'm shooting for 2018 for my trip.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150720_182243699.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	130189
Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #12

I see we have the same color... So do the friends we are planning on going with and interestingly, we all have Ford's too.

Here is another one for you... As you can see, I like camping off road. Maybe I need to post a picture of the creek crossing I have to negotiate to get to my 'spot'....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	130191  
Old 03-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The last poster had no idea that you were referencing a TC.

You don't have to, thats optional. You can use jack stands and planks under the channels if you want to. I leave my unit stored inside on the attached jacks with the unit lowered as far as possible (without the sewer valves or rear bumper contacting the ground / floor.

One thing you should do every year that isn't mentioned in your owners manual, is check the tightness of the fasteners that secure the jacks to the camper body itself.

If you choose to use blocking and/or jackstands under the camper, I would only place the stands under the steel channels, not directly on the floor itself. The channels spread the load out.
Mr Sidecarflip is 100% on the mark. If you follow that advice, you will not go wrong.

I have a new 2016 Palomino and three of the four jack motors had bolts that were loose. One bolt was finger tight. I am not going to say anything about FR quality control, BUT............................

Lakeside
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #14

Quality... Lets not go there. Actually, my unit has been basically without issue. However, reading about some of the issue on posters units on here, I consider myself lucky. Mine must have been built mid week, before lunch but after first coffee break.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 AM   #15

Quote:
I see we have the same color... So do the friends we are planning on going with and interestingly, we all have Ford's too.

Here is another one for you... As you can see, I like camping off road. Maybe I need to post a picture of the creek crossing I have to negotiate to get to my 'spot'....

Hey Mr Sidecar, Not to hijack this post, but I'd like to see the creek crossing pictures. I am rather fond of crossing puddles of water.

Lakeside
Old 03-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #16

Quote:

Real nice looking rig. That site is what I call "private". Your nearest neighbor must be at least a long distance call away?

Getting back to the OP's topic, You have truck enough there to leave your camper on it all year long. No need to put your legs down. That truck will hold that camper for decades without experiencing any spring loaded sagging.

Lakeside
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
Hey Mr Sidecar, Not to hijack this post, but I'd like to see the creek crossing pictures. I am rather fond of crossing puddles of water.

Lakeside
I know that....lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	131310  
Old 03-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
I know that....lol
That is one fine looking creek. I could be happy with my FR TC set up any where in the back ground of your picture.

I would leave the camper on the back of my truck for support (back to original post so we don't get reprimanded) and dangle my feet in the crick.

Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

Tags
truck