Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Truck camper riser mechanism sheared off.

Truck camper riser mechanism sheared off. Anyone had similar? Any ideas as to the best fix?

pymblewombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #2

Looks like I will fix this myself

4 emails and 3 calls to the dealer have gone without reply.
I'm going on the road on a couple of months so it looks like I will have to get a fix fabricated and fit it myself. Will post details of device when made. Cheers,
Peter

Old 08-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Peter, is your truck camper a Palomino?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:04 AM   #4

Palomino Bronco B600 equivalent, so no and yes

Hi Dan,
Made by Forest River, but marketed in Australia as a Puma RV PS-114. The reason being is that the distributor wanted brand consistency with the 5th wheelers. So EOM, different stickers but identical.
My concern is that the riser mechanism has a weak point, an L-shaped bar welded to the top of the (square) riser tube that just snapped off. That is akin to having a steering wheel come off - it just should not happen. I am getting some extra parts made because there are 4 riser struts.
Cheers, Peter
Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
Site Team

As the PM I sent said, only one of 43 different FR brands, Palomino, makes truck campers. They also make Puma trailers.

So we have very few members here that own a truck camper.
That is probably why no one has responded yet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #6

Not many members

No worries Dan,
Thanks for the information. We do love our truck camper - had 10 weeks around Tasmania earlier in the year and up north and down south coastal camping recently. We will 'go bush' for 6 months soon - probably the South Coast through Victoria and South Australia then back through the desert. The nice thing is not having to decide. In Australia it is simple: Summer go north, winter go south. Tasmania is on the cards but you need to book the ferry and often it is booked for weeks...

Will post for the record how the fix is done and if it works - just in case some truck camper owners show up. Thanks for steering me as a relative newbie. Cheers, Peter
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
We had awesome times in our TC ...

The mounting points for the lifts / jacks is very much the "Achilles Heel" in the design and implementation of most TC's. No doubt you have figured to stay very on top of any risk of water intrusion / rust / corrosion with those.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

Thanks

Indeed the weak spot - however no corrosion.
FR have replied to my request and I am waiting on a metal fabricator's quote for a fix that is a bit more robust.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #9

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
When we were evaluating our options, we considered the Reico - Titan jacks ... TRIPOD versions specifically, we saw a three-point method that would have gotten us around using the existing lift attachment points.
Apology for not mentioning these in previous post ...

https://www.riecotitan.com/

Understand you are on the other side of the big pond, so link / tripod idea more for concept reference than specific vendor or product.

We had to come up with some ... non-standard solutions as our old TC got close to its retirement.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #10

Thanks for the ideas Jeff and Abby.

Have spent the last week trying to find a metal fabricator to build a fix to my non-engineer specifications... I went out and built it myself. Found the right sized metal bar and sawed it up by hand for therapy. Drilled and fitted, it looks better than the original set up - works too. Will make some spares and keep more tools on the slide on.

Just like to say that your pick up truck (ute) is neat - it wouldn't notice my truck camper on the back. In Australia, there are a few places that import and convert US utes otherwise our largest/most powerful is the VW Amarok V6 - I think Oz might be getting some Chinese utes with large Cummins engines but not for me - I am satisfied with an oil burning chipped Hilux from Toyota. Boring as, but reliable and somewhat capable when it counts. My experience with my 4-year-old slide on has been a learning experience. Thanks for your ideas.

Tags
camper, truck