Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
No but the first Sandpiper we had didn't have a rubber washer in the shower head and water sprayed everywhere when I turned it on. The leak is actually coming from the right side of the trough that the shower curtain sits in. The water runs out onto the floor. Here is a picture of what it looked like in the first trailer. The dealership supposedly re-caulked & tested it in the 2nd trailer, but its still leaking. I realize the solution is to caulk it again, but it is still frustrating to go through this a 2nd time.

delphi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #12

the picture tells the story

Yeah, recaulking "should" be the fix for that one. And yeah the dealer should have fixed it and fixed it right. But..... when you do things yourself you know it's done right. I personally haven't taken a trailer into a dealer ever for any type of repair job. I've been fortunate enough to not have anything major go wrong like structural and such. Water leaks at various valves, replace the water heater element that I blew up .........

Mine is out of warrenty so I try to do everything I can myself. Even when it was in warrenty I never took it in because it wasn't worth the gogo juice and time to drag it to the dealer for a minor (in my opinion) issue.

For your leak I would remove the shower curtain trough and caulk/seal it when putting it back on. Also caulk the bojangles out of anything that even looks like it may think of leaking.

I understand your frustration but an RV is like a home that experiences hurricane force winds and earthquake forces while rolling down the road. Stuff is going to come loose, shift, and break.

keep us posted with what you get done

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Grape Escape
Agreed. You really need to be a handyman when you into Rv's. Fixed every fitting and drain line (Just a simple matter of tightening nuts etc.) Had to plane down door frame to bathroom as it was out 1/2" at the bottom, recaulked shower stall, rewired sound system as it was wired incorrectly, anchored cabinets to stud as they missed them and cabinets detached from wall, etc etc. Not worth the drive back to dealer.Why wait 2 weeks when you can fix yourself in the time it takes to hook up.
Would I still buy another Rockwood. Yes If it was an automobile they would be long out of business.
2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
When i ordered my 831krss , the first thing i told them to eliminate was that dumb sliding shower door. I saw problems on the horizon with that thing. Especially considering the one in the display was already broken and would not close properly. I rather have a shower curtain that i can put inside of the tub and i know no water will leak out.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
The Jolly Mon
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I hate to say it...but those problems (however annoying) are very minor.
I've had rain leaks that filled up my floor heating ducts! (Keystone)

Every trailer brand (that I know of) will have some issues. Some, many more than others. My Salem shower threshold leaked too. I found they used plumbers putty under it...and it wasn't completely across. I simply removed it, made a continuous bead...and siliconed it all nice. Never another problem.

Don't'll have more issues. These things aren't flawless...even when new.
The first thing I do when I buy a new grab some silicone, and go over the entire outside looking for places for water to get in...and seal it. You'd be surprised at how many places the factory caulking is inadequate. Give it a try. Welcome.
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
Thanks for all of your feedback. Most of the caulking looks great on the outside of the Sandpiper. Haven't been on the roof yet. ls there a strategy for doing that? Places to walk and not to walk? Any problem spots on the roof that a lot of people have seen on Forest River trailers?
delphi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
Site Team
Just don't step on a skylite!!
Wear rubber sole shoes.
Be careful!!
I always advise putting down the stabilization jacks B4 going on the roof.
Just look it over for any voids in the seam sealer caulk.

Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote