Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #61

Have two tanks Always full before heading out on trip. Only run off of one at a time. When it runs out I'll know it. Simply switch to other tank and now I know within the next week I want to get the empty refilled.

Also carry a third tank for grill, outside cooker.... so have a spare back up. No real need to monitor IMO.

Have had a couple of gadgets for level but found them unreliable and unnessary. OSWO principle.... Oh $___t We're Out.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Have two tanks Always full before heading out on trip. Only run off of one at a time. When it runs out I'll know it. Simply switch to other tank and now I know within the next week I want to get the empty refilled.

Also carry a third tank for grill, outside cooker.... so have a spare back up. No real need to monitor IMO.
Personally, I don't like running out in the middle of the night with the heater or running out driving down the road because of the fridge.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #63

One of these gizmos is not goint to stop one from possibly running out at night using heater. They are not accurate enough for you to predict exactly how many hours of heater running at night that you have in a tank.

Fridge not an issue. It will stay cold for hours if it runs out of gas.... In which time one would recognize Check light and switch tanks.

But if measuring with these makes one feel better, get one. (and keep your second tank full)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
LP is something I never worry about. I'm pretty good at guessing my usage and can go most of the summer on 1 tank. When I had my 5er, I ran one tank until it was empty, switched over, and filled empty. Always had a full tank, and many campgrounds have a filling station so it was/is something I never concern myself with.
Exactly what I do!! Just run one keep other closed. Then you always know what you have! Happy trails!!!

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #65

Quote:
One of these gizmos is not goint to stop one from possibly running out at night using heater. They are not accurate enough for you to predict exactly how many hours of heater running at night that you have in a tank.

Fridge not an issue. It will stay cold for hours if it runs out of gas.... In which time one would recognize Check light and switch tanks.

But if measuring with these makes one feel better, get one. (and keep your second tank full)
They are actually pretty darn accurate. Which one did you try?
Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #66

I really dont remember it was so far back. But it basics only indicated when it was getting down close to empty. Still had to guess. Back before TT and for Grills/Cookers..... just ran out several times before supper was done... Learned to keep a full spare. and use this same strategy with TT. They use so little.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw36t View Post
I am also one to pour nearly boiling water over the tank and just watch to see where the evaporation line forms - perfectly shows fill level.
An add to the above idea which works very well and costs very little. When you first fill your tank, do the water thing and mark the level with a magic marker. Maybe just a dot or 1/2 inch line. Then you have a comparison of what "full" really is (since it is not the top of the tank) and how much is left. Second, if you fill your tank at Tractor Supply (stores all over the country now), they fill by the gallon and you don't have to start with an empty tank. You are only charged for the gas you put in the tank, so you can add to a partially filled tank. That means you can top off before you go on your trip and know you have both tanks full at the start. That way you can calculate your use over the trip and know if you need to get more gas during the trip or can make the whole trip. I usually find I only use one tank during the whole summer.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #68

Quote:
I really dont remember it was so far back. But it basics only indicated when it was getting down close to empty. Still had to guess. Back before TT and for Grills/Cookers..... just ran out several times before supper was done... Learned to keep a full spare. and use this same strategy with TT. They use so little.
The Mopeka ones are pretty accurate. I have actually watched it on my phone as it fills.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
I use an inferred thermometer. When you are drawing LP out of the tank read the temp of the cylinder from top to bottom. The line where the temp changes is the level of the LP liquid. The IR thermometer is also good to check tire and hub temp.
Now this sounds like a great idea. I've got one I use for tire temp, so will give it a try. Thanks
kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #70

it only measures pressure so it's not accurate the only way to measure the liquid level is buy two liquid level gauges and put on tanks that's what I did found them on ebay.I drive a propane truck so I know If you like I can tell you where to buy them and how to change
steddumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
An add to the above idea which works very well and costs very little. When you first fill your tank, do the water thing and mark the level with a magic marker. Maybe just a dot or 1/2 inch line. Then you have a comparison of what "full" really is (since it is not the top of the tank) and how much is left. Second, if you fill your tank at Tractor Supply (stores all over the country now), they fill by the gallon and you don't have to start with an empty tank. You are only charged for the gas you put in the tank, so you can add to a partially filled tank. That means you can top off before you go on your trip and know you have both tanks full at the start. That way you can calculate your use over the trip and know if you need to get more gas during the trip or can make the whole trip. I usually find I only use one tank during the whole summer.

X2! And, keep in mind that the bottom of the tank is rounded so does not contain all that much LP. Best to switch or refill with an inch or two remaining above the tank lower corner especially if it's a cold night.

But, since it can take months to use a tank, it's easy to forget to check it and run out on a cold night. The second time that happened, DW insisted I get a Mopeka so she can keep track.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane