Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

1st Hard Freeze, Question?

Hello everyone,

This may be a question for our northern living members. Down here in Houston we do not have many hard freezes, well we are having temps below freezing tonight for a few hours and tomorrow night is the "hard freeze" with temps below freezing for over 8 hours.

So here is the question, will I be ok with just running the furnace for the next couple of nights or should I also turn on the hot water heater?

The camper is here in my driveway since I was unable to get it back to storage after our trip last week for new years. I have not drained any of the lines or the fresh water tank, it has maybe 5 gallons in it.

So far I have set the furnace on auto for tonight, set at 60 degrees. It is running now, but I am wondering about the H2O Heater.

What do y'all recommend I do?

Thank you for all of your help!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
What do y'all recommend I do?
Do you have AC to the camper? A portable electric heater would save you some propane. Open the cabinets. I put a fan on the floor blowing into the cabinet under the sink. I would run the water heater on electric as well.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Team

If city water is available, you can also run just a trickle of water through all of the faucets. This will keep things from freezing. You would have to open your grey tank outlet though to keep from over-flowing your holding tank.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #4

Hi, won't hurt to pour a little RV antifreeze down your drain.. black and grey. Windshield washer fluid (winter mix) also works. Try to stay away from staight antifreeze if possible. This keeps the valves from freezing as they are usually sticking down below the unit.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do you have AC to the camper? A portable electric heater would save you some propane. Open the cabinets. I put a fan on the floor blowing into the cabinet under the sink. I would run the water heater on electric as well.
Herk7769, thanks for the fast reply

Yes, I have AC to the camper and I thought about a space heater, but I only have a small one. I do not think it would do much in a 30ft TT.

so your answer is "run the water heater on electric as well". Thank for the help!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Hi, won't hurt to pour a little RV antifreeze down your drain.. black and grey. Windshield washer fluid (winter mix) also works. Try to stay away from staight antifreeze if possible. This keeps the valves from freezing as they are usually sticking down below the unit.
retiredguy, thanks for the reply,

I have a fresh mix of RVDigest IT, in the tanks and would rather not mess with the antfreeze unless all else fails.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
If city water is available, you can also run just a trickle of water through all of the faucets. This will keep things from freezing. You would have to open your grey tank outlet though to keep from over-flowing your holding tank.
acadianbob, thanks for the help.

I am leaning towards just running the furnace and the H2O Heater set to electric.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Dan,

You should be fine. We have a night or three of below freezing temps here in October every year and it has never been enough to freeze anything solid. Let us know how it all works out.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Dan,

You should be fine. We have a night or three of below freezing temps here in October every year and it has never been enough to freeze anything solid. Let us know how it all works out.
Will Do!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

i purchased an electric heater (from sams) with a freeze protection setting (it sets at 45 deg). i put that on in the trailer and open the cabinet, shower, washing machine, and toilet door.
i drained the two water lines sticking out the back. a 60 w bulb was placed near the pump. i placed a newspaper between the air in and out for the water heater and the outside access (stops air circulation thru the water heater combustion area). oh, open the faucets when draining the water.
i would shut off the gas bottles and put a tag on each of them reminding u that u have the combustion air i/o blocked.
i've done this sense i bought the first one in 92 and haven't had a problem. i live in Lake Charles. i would use the recommended procedure of pumping antifreeze if i lived N of La.