Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #11

Well, I guess we now have our answer on that one! Thank you Lou! HA hubby's gonna love this weekend project!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Good Luck and keep us in the loop.

You can try to save the rug, but you might have to disassemble some cabinets to do it.

From my observation, the rug/vinyl goes on first then the interior is screwed down. I suspect that for the vinyl floor it is put on before the walls go up.

Also let me know if there is vinyl UNDER that rug.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #13

if there is vinyl under the carpet, u may try a steam carpet cleaner. may be worth a try. lots of time if there is vinyl flooring, they put that down first then put the carpet over.
my first thought when u said rotten egg was the black water tank. rotten egg smell comes form decaying protein.
if cleaning or changing out the carpet doesn't solve the problem, i would suggest filling ur holding tanks and see if u have any leaks.
this past week, i had a grey water smell in mine. appeared to be coming from the vacuum breakers (i believe that's what u called a vent..they do serve that purpose. they should seal unless there is a vacuum). odd thing is the tank that was almost full was the black.
i'm hung up on how the carpet under the bed got wet and from where. if u pull that carpet, i'd leave it off for a couple trips or tropical storms and see if the area is still getting wet.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #14

That's the strang part again! When I vacuum around the out side of the bed, I don't get that smell. I have a vacuum that you have to put water in and when you start picking up stuff that smells it hits you pretty quickly. When I started under the bed, that's when I would smell it! I don't know how it would have gotten wet either unless my mother-in-law had stored stuff under there that was wet. The bed is at the front of the camper so I'm not sure if there is any pipes that far up. The sink is midway and the bathroom is in the rear. The LP lines are the only lines that I'm aware of that would be going up that far, and we have the tanks turned off. The camper has always had the smell, but we never stayed in there much to try and trace the smell down. She had always thought it was her tanks. When we started this tracing project, we found that the tanks were actually pretty clean.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #15

that's strange. have u thought abt putting some activated charcoal under there and see if it sucks up the smell.
ultimately, the source will have to be found. if the plumbing doesn't pass under there, filling the tanks probably wouldn't yield anything.
did she have a cat? did she loose a cat?
i am visualizing the area under the bed as an enclosed storage area.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #16

Exclamation Rotten Egg Smell

All, we had the rotten egg smell issue with our Flagstaff TT. We were sure it was a holding tank issue or "re-vent" malfunction allowing odor to come back into the TT. After scratching our heads for a couple of days and second opinions from TT friends we found out exactly what it was. It ended up being battery acid fumes coming from the battery entering the TT. If your battery becomes low on water it will not take a charge correctly which in turn will make your charger run at a full 13.6 amp charge and never satisfy itself. This will cause the battery acid to begin boiling which will give off some really strong "rotten egg" fumes. If any windows are cracked open or if the roof vents are cracked open the fumes can be pulled back into the TT. This is a poisonous gas which is deadly and can explode!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #17

Hope it's not some dead little critter (mice, etc) inside a wall or closed compartment .

...VTX-Al
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #18

check under and behind your converter i had a smell in ,ine i could not find for a while and looked behind it and found a dead mouse removed it and cleaned real good and problem solved