Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Question 2003 Flagstaff Odor Problems HELP!!!!

We just recently bought a 2003 Flagstaff from my mother-in-law. We knew it had odor problems but we figured we could find the problem and fix it. We have replaced the air vents under the sink in the bathroom and kitchen, which helped a little. We have cleaned out both holding tanks with baking soda, mean green, and tst odor control (all applied during different cleanings). We have cleaned out the fridge and freezer. The p-traps have been removed and cleaned. We have checked the vents that run through the roof, the one running to the black was clear, but the grey had a wasp nest and dirt bobber nest in it. We've cleaned those out and ran water through to be sure it came clear. The vents aren't loose or fallen in the the tank. We have turned off the LP tanks and disconnected the line. We have even cleaned the filter for the air conditioner. When the p-trap was off we didn't even have a bad smell coming through the pipe, it was a clean smell which was really odd because that's where we thought the smell was coming from the grey tank. The bathroom has no odor. Just the living/kitchen area. We can not find where this odor is coming from! It has a rotten food/gas/sewage smell to it. We have opened the camper up for several days and ran just the fan to see if that would help, but as soon as you would close it up again, the smell would be back. Any other suggestions???

Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

rotten egg or sulfer smell ?
if so its comming from you hot water heater maybe .
it may need a new anode rod.
we drain our hot water heater everytime we use it . because if we didnt we got a nasty smell .
just a suggestion

Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

It's hard to pinpoint the smell! I've got a really good nose, but this smell has me stumped! We haven't checked the hot water heater yet! It seems like it's around the kitchen area, and under the bed/storage area. I just went and purchased some damprid to see if maybe there is moisture in there that is causing it. I've seen some post where it would suggest it was the fresh water tan, but if there isn't anything in it, how can it smell?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Do you have water in all of the traps? I know you said you cleaned them, but did you put water back in?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Yes we ran water back through the sink and the tub so the gases from the tanks wouldn't come back through. This one is a complete stumper here!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Sure is! I guess all that remains is to was everything down with Pine-Sol and spray everything you can't wash with Fabreze.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

We had the same problem. Drove me nuts.

Discovered a knitted wash cloth that had been left under the sink. It had been put there "damp." Ugh...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Just last week we were in a campsite and a guy from a MH had a bad smell after much searching he discovered it was his very old batteries sulphating and the smell was seeping inside.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #9

Well I think I've narrowed it down guys. After cleaning from top to bottom, inside and out, I think it's the carpet under the bed. That was the last spot I started cleaning on. Apparently it had gotten wet before and was never allowed to dry out. When I got under there vacuuming and I started noticing a horrible, rank smell coming from my vacuum. Well, there was my sign. I've used Resolve Pet Odor carpet cleaner, which helped a little, but not long. I now have 2 damprids under there and have sprinkled 2 boxes of baking soda under there to see if that would help with the smell. It does help if you have the windows and door open with fans running, but as soon as you shut it up the smell returns. UGH!!! I'm to the point of cutting the carpet out of that area and putting linoleum down to see if that will solve my problem! I'm not sure if the hubby will want to take this step, but we have do figure out where this smell is coming from!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Once you have a wet moldy carpet (underside) you MUST remove it and let the underlying wood dry. You will rot out your camper if you don't.

After an evaluation of the reason for the water damage; repair of the cause; then you can decide what to do next.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote