Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
2004 cherokee 29z control panel red switch ?

Problem #1

I have a FR 2004 Cherokee 29z I just bought and a generic FR manual that tells me nothing about the status/control panel. Just inside the door on the left above the kitchen counter there is a tank status panel.

Above the tank status panel that gives the status for grey black and fresh water tanks there is a separate red switch. It looks like a light switch but it glows red when on.

It is not the gas heater switch or the pump switch on the Tank info panel.
What is this red switch????

Problem #2
I also am unable to take a shower for long, as it seems I run out of hot water after washing my hair. I am supposedly on eletric, but it seems the water gets hotter with the Gas heater on. Is this normal?

I turned on the outside switch next to the heater after I connected the city water. I let it heat for about 4 hours.

Should I leave both the electric heater switch on at the heater and the inside LP heater switch on?

Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
If you are certain that the red switch is NOT the gas water heater switch, then it is more than likely the tank heater switch, to keep your tanks from freezing. A lot of people run the gas AND electric at the same time on their water heater for speedy recovery. They are two separate systems. The electric side has an outside switch hidden behind the access cover. That must be on, as well as the water heater breaker in your converter service panel breakers for electric side operation. Gas turn on the illuminated rocker switch on the wall, and open the gas valve, and it will auto-ignite.
Hope this helps you! Randy

/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Keep in mind that with a 6gal. water heater you cannot take a shower like you take at home! you have to get in wet your self down, turn off the dial on the back of the shower head, soap up, then rinse off. (keep in mind that after turning on the switch on the shower head you will have to let it flow a few seconds to get the water temp normal), it will mix in the lines, with the shower head turned off (normal).

We run ours on both gas and elec. and, following the above procedure, we can all shower back to back. the fourth person, usually me!!!!!!! may get cooler water at the end.

And DO NOT! EVER! turn on the water heater, especially the electric portion! without any water in the water heater. it will burn up the electric heating element.
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
I'm with the rest it must be the "tank heater switch". Your heater will heat alot faster with propane than electric. I know if I am going to use alot of hot water I will turn the propane on to help with the electric. Its just something you will have to play with.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote