Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

2005 rockwood 8281ss fifth wheel

can anyone advise me on the use of slideout supports for my 12' slide out room while i am camping for 2 week periods, are they nessesary? could they harm my slide out? will they help in stabelizing my 5th wheel? thanks jim
jcctnt233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #2

I personally wouldnt use stablizer for your slide i also think it is not recommended for the slide by forest river (i might be wrong on that) i have been wrong once before lol, but i know i read on here somewhere that if you put jacks under your slide it could damage them by not letting it move if your camper settles and can cause your slide to be put in a bind and damage the tracks there are other way to stablize your camper like a tripod for the front and some folks use those tire chock and swear they work well and there is a site sponsor who sells some really nice stablizer jacks also
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #3

I've never found "slide out supports" even remotely necessary. I psersonally think they are a waste of money and a gimmick. I agree with chevy02. They could cause damage by not allowing your slide to move as your rig settles. Don't waste your money on them in my opinion.

And yeah, our site sponsor steadyfast has a great product for overall rig stabilization.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
FRF Sponsor

Slide Out Supports

The link below is to an article on slide out maintenance by Good Sam Emergency Road Service which recommends not using supports on slide outs.

http://blog.rv.net/2008/09/10/slide-out-extensions/
SteadyFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
I personally wouldnt use stablizer for your slide i also think it is not recommended for the slide by forest river (i might be wrong on that) i have been wrong once before lol, but i know i read on here somewhere that if you put jacks under your slide it could damage them by not letting it move if your camper settles and can cause your slide to be put in a bind and damage the tracks there are other way to stablize your camper like a tripod for the front and some folks use those tire chock and swear they work well and there is a site sponsor who sells some really nice stablizer jacks also
thanks for your input, i feel much more at ease knowing my slide wont fall off if its not supported, and thinking about it further im sure the manuf. would put warnings on the outside of the camper warning us of the potential harm if indeed it wasent supported when extended.. again thanks so much for youe advise,you were very helpful.....
Old 11-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyFast View Post
The link below is to an article on slide out maintenance by Good Sam Emergency Road Service which recommends not using supports on slide outs.

http://blog.rv.net/2008/09/10/slide-out-extensions/
thanks steady, the link is helpful...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7

I have a 2007 8280ss and although not needed they make you feel less movement. We stay in 1 place for 4 months and use them but drop them when we are not going to be around over night. There are many that warn against using them and I have heard all of that but the concrete pad isn't going to settle and I am willing to take the risk that both tires won't deflate at the same time.
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote