Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

2007 5th wheel camper

Here's my question if you find a soft spot on the floor right in front of the steps going up into the bedroom you decide to investigate you cut the vinyl flooring back you find Luan really wet.
The question is can water be locked in underneath the vinyl flooring saturating the Luan until you open it up and put a fan on to dry it out.
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

If its soft and wet,drying it out wont help it at all.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

I understand drying it is not out it's not going to help the problem it has to be repaired. back to the original question was if something happened months ago can water get trapped under the vinyl and stay with for a long time without opening it up and letting air get to it
Old 04-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #4

I meant to say stay wet.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Team

It can stay wet for a pretty long time, but not months. Once the source of the intrusion/leak is repaired the water would migrate through the wood even if it had no where else to go. It definitely wouldn't stay sopping wet.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
I understand drying it is not out it's not going to help the problem it has to be repaired. back to the original question was if something happened months ago can water get trapped under the vinyl and stay with for a long time without opening it up and letting air get to it
It will usually take (literally) forever to dry out because the water is draining from someplace else.The floor doesnt leak,its just where the water stops when it cant go further.Yes it can and will run back under the flooring.If you tilt the untso that it is downhill away from the flooring thats still in place,that will help,but even if you stop the leak,its going to stay wet under the flooring for a very long time,long enough (IMO) to rot the wood, if it hasnt already.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #7

Thanks, wet area is right behind hot water tank. I noticed I had a puddle of water when I opened up the hot water tank compartment on the outside I need to investigate more before I redo the area thank you
Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
Here's my question if you find a soft spot on the floor right in front of the steps going up into the bedroom you decide to investigate you cut the vinyl flooring back you find Luan really wet.
The question is can water be locked in underneath the vinyl flooring saturating the Luan until you open it up and put a fan on to dry it out.
David this all go's Hand in Hand with your other Upper wall leak issues! The Rockwood Floors are "Vinyl/luan/styrofoam/luan" if you Loose the Top Luan you are walking on "Soft Styrofoam" Youroo!!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #9

Just had this problem with my 2014 Rockwood 8289ws in same location. ended up being a leak in water pump lines. Checked with FR and was told that the floor needed to be replaced. Said self repair would be extremely difficult since the floor and walls are integrated unit. They replaced entire floor. Had to remove island cabinet a well as the walls. $5,000+ later is a "good as new" Just a note of caution for you to consider since floor is integral part of wall structure.
Co-Pilot is Hunter our 100# Black Lab
WeBGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #10

Well here's what I found so far I cut the vinyl from the cabinet's back to the carpet just about the width of the step going up into the bedroom, then I cut towards the back of the camper about maybe 30 inches to the floor register just behind it pulled up the viny luon was wet just in that area so just behind the floor vent it was now dry so I cut all wet luon out.
And underneath the carpet is dry so I may have caught it in time. We left a fan blowing over the styrofoam we're going back up Thursday an 80-mile Drive we'll see how it looks. If you see my other post I'm working on probably a roof leak that's in our bedroom front wall I have replace some Luan and cut some styrofoam I have just a dry fit I'm not glued anything yet.
Not off to a good start on the camping season.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

Two-part question for my wall repair in the bedroom what type of adhesive should I use to glue the Luan to the styrofoam.
It looks like I will not glue the styrofoam to the outside skin but I will glue it to that little metal strip that runs from top to bottom about 3 to 4 inches wide is that correct?

Tags
5th wheel, camper, wheel