Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Grape Escape

You are not supposed to leave valves open when attached to sewer. It will cause problems with your holding tanks and odours Let tanks fill up and then drain separately and close off valves each time. Leaving black water tank valve open will not allow solids to drain away. Need the swoshing action to carry it away when dumping.

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #12

are you sure of the brand of stink?

I have a 2009 Cherokee 39bs which I just took delivery of in July. We had a horrible rotten egg smell after the trailer sat for a week. We found out the hot water was the culprit. I removed the anode rod from the tank and the oder was gone! I am sure you know the difference in smells but I just thought I would put it out there. Supposedly I can get an anode rod made out of a different material to eliminate the smell but right now I am going rod less and the stench is gone. Good luck

Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumech View Post
I have a 2009 Cherokee 39bs which I just took delivery of in July. We had a horrible rotten egg smell after the trailer sat for a week. We found out the hot water was the culprit. I removed the anode rod from the tank and the oder was gone! I am sure you know the difference in smells but I just thought I would put it out there. Supposedly I can get an anode rod made out of a different material to eliminate the smell but right now I am going rod less and the stench is gone. Good luck
It is sewer. I wish it was rotting eggs.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
You are not supposed to leave valves open when attached to sewer. It will cause problems with your holding tanks and odours Let tanks fill up and then drain separately and close off valves each time. Leaving black water tank valve open will not allow solids to drain away. Need the swoshing action to carry it away when dumping.
Do you think the people who set up my trailer know that?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
There is no issue leaving your grey tank open while connected to sewer since there should be no solids going into there anyway, but the black tank belongs closed until it's time to empty.

I am hooked up to permanent sewer and my grey tank is ALWAYS open.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Cyber Phrenologist

Allowing some water to collect in your bathroom gray tank will aid in rinsing out the sewer hose after you dump the black. Also, I dump a little chemical and laundry soap in my galley holding tank because you'd be surprised how sour that can get. Also avoid letting food scraps go down the kitchen drain, use a strainer and throw them in the trash.

We empty the trash once sometimes twice a day to avoid ants as well as another stinky thing in the trailer.

And this forum is a wonderful place to learn all the stuff (literally volumes) your dealer didn't know/have time/think/care to tell you.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
What I have heard is that by leaving value open allows the sewerage smell that comes from the ground connection to vent back through the tanks and trailer. If you p-traps or this under stink vent is not function correctly, that would be cause. And especially if you are taking a shower allowing the small run of water to drain.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #18

I leave the black water tank closed at all times because there is no "p" trap between the tank and toilet, as far as the grey water tank, that stays closed as well because you need this to help flush the hose out after the black is dumped. The only line I leave open is the galley (kitchen) the sinks have traps in them and I make sure that there is water in them at all times. I never had a problem from oders Back Venting into the camper. The other thing one can do is create a trap out of your discharge hose while it is on the ground before the tank openning.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #19

Oh my god.
This weekend, the repairman who has been working on the "smell" for a month now
-emptied out all the tanks (turns out the 'hard stuff' is kept in a tank so it has to be released every once in a while something that I was told I didn't have to do , the grey water is always open)
-Flushed the system out
-Put in a 'scented' product so it wouldn't smell
Then told me that there is NO way it was going to smell in the mornings now.

Guess what; it did. But alot less. Now I can actually say it is the toilet that smells. Probably a problem with the seal (which the repairman says is fixed).

The last time I am going down to the trailer is next week, I hope they can get it fixed by then.