Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Unhappy 2010-12 Greywolf HTR switch.

Post from Cherokee Forum:

On my 2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf there is a switch next to the water
pump switch that says HTR not sure what it is for when we bought
the Grey Wolf they showed us everythig in 20 minutes much to fast
to take it all in.

My reply:

I have the same situation on my 2010 and the same question. My water heater runs fine with the switch off (using propane). My holding tanks do not have heaters. Is it possible that the water heater runs off of electricity when this switch is on? Do we need to move this to the Tech forum?

So here we are! Help!
KENRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

"The "htr" switch definately sounds like the swith to your water heater. When you turn the switch on, do you have a red light that comes on. If so, that lets you know that your DSI is attempting to light the pilot on the water heater. If the light turns on for a few seconds and then off, the DSI lit the pilot and your good to go. If the light stays on, then your DSI is not lighting or your out of propane. Hope this helps. "

I searched the forums and got the answer. Above is one comment. The switch is for propane operation of the water heater.
KENRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
PINTO

I have the same switch in my 2011 Flagstaff and that makes your hot water heater run on electricity and not propane. The switch lights up when in the on position.
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As a tech, and working on RV's, I have never seen a switch in a camper to control the electric part of the water heater. That switch you are referring to should be as described in post #2. The electric switch is always behind the outside cover, open it, look in the bottom left corner for a rocker type switch, and it's hidden pretty well.

Now before the argument starts and someone swears they have an electric switch in side for their water heater, I'm not saying somebody doesn't do this, but I have worked on quite a few campers, and never seen it, not even the 2012's we have on the lot.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
pip

On my 2011 greywolf its for the water heater, if i want it to run off electric i have to go outside & open the water heater cover and pull a pin. my red light stays on to let me know the water heater is on.

pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
As a tech, and working on RV's, I have never seen a switch in a camper to control the electric part of the water heater. That switch you are referring to should be as described in post #2. The electric switch is always behind the outside cover, open it, look in the bottom left corner for a rocker type switch, and it's hidden pretty well.

Now before the argument starts and someone swears they have an electric switch in side for their water heater, I'm not saying somebody doesn't do this, but I have worked on quite a few campers, and never seen it, not even the 2012's we have on the lot.

I have a 2011 Prime Time Lacrosse. I have an Atwood DSI heater with NO outside switch. I think all Prime Times utilize a "power center" (one location for all the power options such as slide switches, power awning switch, and WH switch). My WH switch is a dual switch assembly, one side for electric and the other for gas (wish I had a pic). There are no indicator lights. You can use electric or gas or both at the same time for faster recovery.

My previous 2009 Wildwood had a Suburban WH with the electric rocker switch outside and the gas switch inside. The gas switch would light while the igniter tried to light the gas and stay on. If it failed to ignite, the red light would go off and you would reset it by turning it off for a few seconds then, back on.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote