Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #1

2010 Rockwood 5th Wheel Charging System

We just purchased a 2010 Rock 8281SS 5th Wheel last Friday. The charging system is not charging our battery. The fuses have all been checked and are good. The battery has a full charge but was charged using a car battery charger. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what to check before I have to make a return 2 hr. trip to the dealership where we purchased it.
reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I assume when you say "not charging" that you are plugged in to shore power, and you are using using a voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery terminals. , and your voltmeter is reading less than 12.5 volts. If all of the above is true, check the breaker for the converter and make sure it is not tripped. It will often trip if you plug in to shore power that has voltage on it. If you're in a campground, you should always turn off the breaker before plugging in, this will prevent arcing of the plug, and help prevent tripping of the converter breaker. If it's not the converter breaker, report back and we'll suggest other checks. Hope you have a voltmeter and are not using the display panel for only reference.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #3

If you have a battery disconnect switch and it is turned the wrong way it will stop your battery from getting a charge from the convertor.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #4

The converter breaker is not tripped. Where is the battery disconnect switch?
reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think only motor homes have the battery disconnect switch. Never seen one in a trailer or 5th wheel unless the owner installed it. How do you know it isn't charging? What are your symptoms? Are you checking the battery voltage with a voltmeter? Make sure the refrigerator is turned off and not on "AUTO" draining your battery if you aren't plugged in to shore power. Likewise furnace thermostat, water heater. Give us a few more details as to what happened.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Hattrick

I just purchased a Wildcat 31 TS and I am having the same problem. I picked up the trailer last Sat and had a 3 day drive to get home. The trailer stayed hooked up to my truck the entire time and nothing was used in the trailer except the lights for about 5 min. each day. When I arrived home there was zero battery power left and I had to charge the battery so I could lower the jacks. I was under the impression that it would use the vehicle power as long as it was hooked up. Am I wrong
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Many trucks, including our "new" 2008 GMC Sierra Duramax with Heavy Duty Towing Package did not have the 12 volt DC "hot" wire to the trailer plug connected at the fuse block under the hood.

I found the wire bundle in a wrap under the fuse block on the right hand side front. Once unwrapped I found the single wire with terminal ring in it. The fuse for the trailer battery charging wire WAS installed, but the wire to the lug was not. I needed to buy a 10mm nut at the auto zone and hook it up.

Problem solved for me.

They said they do not "routinely" hook it up so the truck battery will not discharge if accessories are left on in a connected trailer. (I think they just forgot.)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Hattrick

Thanks Herk
I just looked and sure enough there it was. I too have a 2008 Duramax. One last question if you have the time, where exactly did you connect the wire. there is terminals at each end of the fuse box.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

OK just went out and looked.

Remove the cover on the driver side fuse block. In the front, under the gray handle, are two stud terminals. The one CLOSEST to the fender is BLACK and is connected to the 40 amp fuse. THAT one should get the trailer wire (red with black stripe).

There should already be a red wire with black stripe on the other stud (silver). It goes to the 60 amp fuse. I am not sure (without getting the manual out) what that one does.

Glad I could help,
Lou
Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Hattrick

ThankYou Lou
This board has been worth the price of admission already
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Happy to help. This board and

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/default.asp

have helped me to get up to speed quickly as well.

Tags
5th wheel