Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

2012 271BHXL Warrenty??

Good Afternoon, We just purchased our Salem at the end of June and have had it rolling over 3500 miles so far. Our last trip (last week) was a 9 day romp around the east coast mainly in the DC area. Several issues came up and thankfully no failures until just last night.

First off - Trail Express tires. I had read the forums and was perfectly ready to deal with the potential issues with these tires. I had done the math and figured the tire load was about 70% so I had room. I also had a TPMS on the trailer just in case. About a 1000 miles into our trip I started noticing cracking from the rim up to the tread. The tires had been checked at every fuel stop and after be landed every night and I kept a record of any anomilies. On average the treads held 130 degrees after a long highway run and held pressure just fine. What I did not like was every tire developed mutible cracks. I had reached out to my dealer for locations of a local Forest river repair shop just in case. (problem number 1) We did make it home safely but the last few miles had me really worried.

Second issue was last night when I was going to take the coach back to start the claim on the tires. The rear slide failed and I could not retract it for travel. After several moments with Google and YouTube, I identified the type of slide system I had and found the way to disable the motors and push the slide in (problem #2). I'm pretty sure it's the gear box under the motor that failed so I'm assuming the entire slide has to be pulled in order to fix this.

So several issues, The biggest one is the tires. I have read here that FR will honor up to $120 a Tire however my dealer says they where told $65. $65 doesn't even cover retail on the original tires.

On top of it all There was no paperwork/manuals from the factory so I had to research how my slides work. (newer style electric motor in wall) had I been in a campground somewhere I would have been in big trouble.

Other issues include faulty tank sensors and structural support on the chassis to thin a steel to support the slides when extended. We knew what we where buying and I have no regrets. Compared to Aerolite and Thor coaches with similar floor plans, we liked the Salem the most.

I guess my question is... Is FR going to pony up for these repairs or will I be spending money on tires and such after only 12 days in 6 weeks of ownership. As it stands now I pretty sure my camping season is over since labor day is here and the kids are back in school.

On a side not, I pulled with an o5 f150 Screw and it was nice at 60 - 65 mph.

Thanks for looking.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

I know how you feel with the tires. I have trail America tires and they are wearing very fast and only have about 1800 miles on them. I haven't even bothered calling the dealer cause I am sure I will just get the run around. So I will just plan on having to buy new tires next year. The only thing touching the ground and it the cheapest and unreliable.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Update! Nothing yet. They got the slide motor replaced so it's weather tight again, but still no paperwork or update on the tires. and they have had it since the 28th. As an attempt to use it again before the season ends I think I'm going to have to bight it and get new tires on my own and work it out during the off months. I'd hate to go to the BBB and file a complaint but this is ridiculous.