Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
2012 Georgetown 280DS

We're new to RVing, and weve been told that we should empty the fresh water tank when we let the RV set for 3-4 weeks. The dealer told us that the nano rod will emit a sulfer smell if the water isn't used frequently. I'm attaching a picture of the water valves on the underneath side of the coach. This seems like a rather unlikely place to drain something by having to crawl way under the coach. The Owner's manual says nothing about how to drain the fresh water tank. And the dealer's helper was unsure whether we should unscrew just two or all four valves. Isn't there a better way to empty the fresh water that has been sitting around for some time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water-hoses.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5784  

lsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Looks like FR has cut some corners to keep costs down. Our drains are located in the Propane compartment with a valve and 1 line has the plain cap.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Propane compartment

Thank you for the info. I'm going to have to look at that compartment to see what you're talking about.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Our fresh water drain is also in the compartment with the Prophane tank. I always drain the fresh water tank and the hot water heater each time I park the unit after a campout. I also run a cup of Clorex thru the fresh water tank at the first of each season, fill it up and then drain it a couple of times to get the taste out of the water. We never use it for drinking. We carry gallon jugs in the shower and bottled water for drinking. Its used for washing. ON the hot water tank, there should be an annod rod that can be unscrewed so the hot water tank can be drained. I leave it open till I am ready to go camping again. Before each trip, I make sure all of the circuts are turned off (hot water) fill the fresh water about 1/3 full, fill the hot water tank via the water lines from our house. I don't carry a full tank unless there is no water available at the campsite where were going. Thats too much weight to carry around. I also always put on an extra inline filter and a water regulator at the campsites. One place had 90 lbs of water pressure.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
We found another compartment on the 2012 Georgetown

Thank you for the reply. My Husband says that there are no valves in the propane compartment for water. However, we did find another smaller locked compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle just above the drains underneath which I took a picture of. This compartment has two twist off lids. Way back in there in the right hole is a valve which must be to drain the water, and the left one must be the water pump. It's very strange that the dealer didn't tell us anything about this. I will go to the site where it is parked again, and snap a picture. Thank you again for the information.