Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Lemon?

We purchased a 2014 2306 off the showroom floor this January. Love the trailer, but it seems it's at the dealer more than the campground.
Since it was January and really cold when we purchased the camper, it went directly to storage as we waited for warmer weather. The first time we took it to a local RV park to "try it out" we determined that the dealership never winterized it. The water pump and filter cracked and leaked water all over the floor. The dealership repaired the damage at no cost and sent us on our way. The second time we took it out to the local RV park, the TV wouldn't work, the vent over the Murphy bed was loose and the refrigerator wouldn't get cold - even after 8 hours. Took the trailer back to the dealer where they said the wires were reversed on the TV. Sent us on our way at no charge. The next time we took the trailer out, the side mounted grill wouldn't stay lit and the fridge wouldn't work on propane. The front door hold open shock broke and the screen wouldn't stay shut. At this time my wife noticed that the foot of the bed seemed higher than the head. Took the camper in again where they claimed the grill works fine and replaced the door striker and hold open shock. They also claimed the fridge wasn't installed properly and fixed whatever issue was causing it not to work on propane. The next time we took it out, I too could feel that the head of the bed was lower than the foot even though I triple checked the levelness of the trailer. The grill shut itself off a couple times trying to cook burgers.
I removed the mattress and inspected the bed frame. The bed has a serious bow to it. The head sits about 2" lower than the foot. The foot of the bed platform is level to the trailer, but the head of the bed sits quite a bit lower. Took it back to the dealer where they had it for 2 weeks. I went to pick it up yesterday and inspected the platform only to find it WORSE! The foot board that is supposed to contact the floor sat up 3-4" on one side and the bow was no different than when I dropped it off, other than the dealer damaged a lot of the decorative trim and left staples all over the camper. I left it at the dealership and was told that they have no idea how to fix the bed. They also claim they can't duplicate the grill turning itself off.
Did we get a lemon, or do all new campers go through some teething pains?
Jwalker418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

Seems more than just teething pains. We haven't had many issues with ours but a couple things have quit like the remote and electric jack motor died after the warrantee expired.

But I do read on FRF a lot of similar stories like yours.

I wonder if these issues are more related to price of the unit and if the larger units have these same or just as many issues?

Did you have a PDI session with the dealer?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Yes, we had a PDI in January, in 30 deg weather. Looking back now, they didn't show us much. Here's the toilet, here's the stove... this is how you extend the awning etc. I'd do a much more thorough inspection next time, that's for sure.
Anyone had luck contacting Forest River directly for quality issues? I don't have ANY faith the dealer is going to fix the bed platform properly. And what about the grill? What a pile that is. Built like something you'd get from a Dollar Store.
I don't think I'll buy another Forest River product. I'll spend more to get a quality product that I can actually use.
Jwalker418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

I would try contacting fr and find a new servicing dealer. Maybe try and talk to a manager at your current dealer about the issues you have and have had and see what they say?
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

J - spending more isn't going to help. FR is no worse and better than many builders. My last coach was a class B that cost $160k. Multiple issues. Sometimes you get one with more issues than others. You just have to work through them. If you are at all handy, I've found that it's often better to find a fix yourself rather than return to the dealer who doesn't like to do warranty work. You can find a lot of answers by searching this and other RV forums. Good luck!!
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

bought a brand new surveyor cadet 3 12. our first trip out the air conditioner broke, the slide out in the living room area carpet torn, and now the bunk bed broke, came a part, 7 screws that were holding it were less than a half an inch in, surveyor factory did a poor job. probably will have to fix it myself!
tetert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #7

brand new surveyor cadet321
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406777417242.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	59342   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406777502260.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	59344   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406777520185.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	59345  
Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

surveyor factory poor quality,, our first trip out. what else will break?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
Incheon, S. Korea

QC control at all the factories seems to be lacking. I've seen posts about expensive class As that had similar problems.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #10

Some issues too

We have a 2012 2306 and had a couple of issues too, but no where like the ones you had.
- Wood Ref door panel fell off - poor design - fixed it myself
- table wobble - poor design - still wobbles
- anti freeze inlet pipe was crimped and did not let anti freeze to be pumped into the unit - poor work - fixed it myself
other than that we have enjoyed our TT.

I agree the QC needs to be improved. Good luck with your issues. RVing should be relaxing and not have to be a full time job fixing things that should have been taken care of at the factory.
jomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #11

I have had everything from a tent trailer to a 40ft Country Coach and all the manufactures are about the same ,no quality control. It's to bad the RV industry don't have a foreign competitor as the US car manufactures did a few years back that made them shape up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River ForumskR
weatherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #12

Sounds like a dealer who doesn't have their stuff together.

My dealer showed me a couple units right when they receive them. Broken or smashed in cabinet doors, trim falling off, you name it. They keep a store room full of trim, cabinet doors, various stains for matching said cabinets, faucets, sinks, battery boxes, vent covers, lights, etc...

We've never had trouble with units from them. Always the same employees, from service to sales to finance. Family owned. I'll stick with them then choose my brand.

I'd suggest, if it's possible, to find a new dealer. While there are lots of bad dealers, there are also lots of good dealers. If you find one, hang on to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherl View Post
I have had everything from a tent trailer to a 40ft Country Coach and all the manufactures are about the same ,no quality control. It's to bad the RV industry don't have a foreign competitor as the US car manufactures did a few years back that made them shape up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River ForumskR
I totally agree------ a point I have made several times on many forums!!!!!!!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #14

I buy the 2yr factory warranty. Then I fix everything I can and make a list of things that the dealer needs to repair. When the winter months come I schedule a time and take it back to the dealer for the warranty work. By the time the 2yr warranty is up the trailer has been in twice, I haven't missed any camping and the repair issues have been resolved. My current trailer has some buckles in the siding on the driver side and will be going in for that this winter.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #15

a good thing my grand kids were not hurt. this is a serious issue the .surveyor plant must address. someone could be seriously injured or killed, only a matter of time. surveyor plant must fix this issue, defective bunk beds!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #16

Just got a 2860 (31foot C)
First trip canceled do to a water leak at the pump
Averted second cancelation yesterday when I discovered faulty Gas regulator leaked all the propane out
First trip on Wed 13th keeping my fingers crossed
Yes all new products are going to have problems
I know this from experience
Where the stress is relieved is in dealing with a sympathetic dealer that will work with you and not blow you off.
I believe we have this going for us
They fixed both problems immediately.
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #17

I would be most concerned about the flood you had in the RV. Water is horrible to RV's and if you experienced a rupture in the water tank and flooded the RV with 4-5 gallon of water before you discovered it was leaking, you could have a major problem in a couple years with floor rot.

I am not sure what type of recourse someone has in your situation but water damage is never good. Not only that, once the tank ruptured and then the ice began to melt, did it leak into the RV and stay there for a while before anyone saw it to mop it up? The wood could have been wet for a while since you noticed it.

I wish you the best.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #18

Im not sure if you we replying to me or the original tread starter but anyway, No flood in the RV.
The pump is located low back right and acsessed through a door within one of the cargo bays along with the water filter.The drip was coming from the setiment filter cup not having a good edge for a seal.
Bay got wet but its lined with plastic shell and mopped right up.
So I think we are good but others should check this filter.
For new folks its a small clear plastic cup the size of a shot glass and it houses a screen filter right at your electric water pump.
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 2306, rockwood